• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I am thinking about getting into reloading but have little money and room to spare at this time I am looking at the Lee Precision Classic Lee Loader for 270 winchester and wondering if anyone here has any experience with them . I don't know if I should buy one or wait till I have more money and space . I am shooting barnes VOR-tx ammo in my rifle but at $40 a box the price adds up quick. The loader I am interested in is this http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-90240

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Do not buy from Cheaper Than Gold. HUGE gouger on price recently.

2) The loader will work, but the Lyman hand press is better.

3) Look in classified section and eBay and Craigs List for used reloading equipment. You can get good stuff at a substantial discount.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I went through the same descision a few months ago. I'm 'going for it',. I have everything in place, except for my dies..

In the short run, you will spend ALOT more reloading.. In the long run I believe you will save.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I have ordered a lot from cheaper the dirt and I have checked prices on the loader and there price is the cheapest I have seen . I will look up prices on used equipment as well . Thanks for the relays

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You can get the Lee or you can get an RCBS for a little bit more. I have lots of experience with an RCBS RockChucker that is older than I am. The few issues my dad has ever had with it (his doing, not any fault of RCBS) RCBS has sent out replacement parts, free of charge, even when he admitted he was at fault. I highly recommend RCBS RockChuckers to anybody that is just starting to reload.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LEE90240

Here is the same set for less than Cheaper than Dirt. CTD will never have the cheapest price on anything, ever. Midsouth and Widener's might have this item as well, if you want to check.

If you plan to load 20 rds per year or so, of that specific cartridge, this might be a good idea, although you are likely better off just buying your ammo in that case, rather than going to the trouble of buying primers, powder and bullets. Even if your funds are very limited, it is far better to buy the cheapest Lee single-stage kit for 100 dollars or so and use that.

http://www.titanreloading.com/kits/lee-breech-lock-challenger-50th-anniversary-kit

I have used these Lee classic sets before and it takes forever to load a single round. If you absolutely need a very small, portable loader, the Lee hand press is a much better bet.

http://www.titanreloading.com/kits/lee-breech-lock-hand-press-kit

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And they are aimed more at bolt guns that do not need full length resizing. Somewhere I have one for .308. Cases out of a semi auto need some SERIOUS hammering to get them sized.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I think you'd be better off with the Lee Hand Press kit for $50 for a cheap start after looking at both videos. The Kit from Grafs looks like a winner(single stage press kit)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I think you'd be better off with the Lee Hand Press kit for $50 for a cheap start after looking at both videos. The Kit from Grafs looks like a winner(single stage press kit)

The Lee hand press could be a good start. If all you will be doing is the 270 a single stage will be OK. If you decide to do any volume the Lee Turret is a great value in a multi station. CTD has always had hits and misses and got caught up in the pandemonium that is going on. If they have the best price go for it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    As a beginner reloader, I purchased the lee loader kit for my Mosin. Used it ONE TIME, then got a single stage press. That should keep me happy for at least the rest of the year. I'm reloading for accuracy on my Mosin and for fun on my Makarov and 303 Brit rounds.
    Right now, I'm not saving significant money nor time. Just accuracy for the rifles and recycling for the Makarov (yes, I can do a box of 50 for $8, but spend an hour saving $5)
    Powder and primer prices are up even from when I started buying stuff back in January.
    I am interested in the experience of doing it though. I think it gives you a better understanding of the whole picture.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Getting back to your original question, given you have a tight budget, the Lee loader may be the way for you to go. Follow directions exactly--especially for the powder to use with it--and you'll get reliable and serviceable rounds to shoot. Getting powder and primers can be a challenge right now, so check around and see who is going to have what you need.

OK ... as for prices, you'll find some places have a better price on any given item than others, and no one place has always got the best prices. That said, I agree with others that CTD seldom is the go-to place for best deals, but sometimes (because they are high) they might have something that you need right away when the rest are out. In cases like that, I grumble, but don't split hairs over a couple of bucks.

Overall, though, I typically check the following places first when I'm looking for something in the reloading line. One of them will usually have the best price that I'm going to find anywhere on the 'Net, even though it's not always the same place:
    Titan
    Natchez
    Midway

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    As a beginner reloader, I purchased the lee loader kit for my Mosin. Used it ONE TIME, then got a single stage press. That should keep me happy for at least the rest of the year. I'm reloading for accuracy on my Mosin and for fun on my Makarov and 303 Brit rounds.

I'd suggest that anyone start off with a single-stage press. Yeah, they will probably eventually graduate to a turret press, or something even more expensive, but you learn soooo much with a single-stage, and you can always use it for something, even if you have another (or other) press(es).

Then you start buying more and more dies, sizers, bullet molds, etc. You know that it's a sickness when you are in a store and see that the have an .xyz caliber set of dies that you don't have, you buy them, and then you start looking online to see what sort of firearm you need to buy ... now that you can reload .xyz caliber rounds. :)

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    Just got the single stage and Im so glad I didnt get the hand press. Some cases can be a pain. That deal at Graf and Sons is the best I have seen period.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'd be afraid of fumbling the hand held press and spilling powder all over the floor.
    I got the Lee challenger press as the one just linked to was also out of stock all over the place when I was looking to drop the hammer.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I agree with midsouth too. Single stage gets old quick. I have both single and turret lee press. and you can just take out the turning bar in the middle of the turret press and it becomes a single stage. but the lee press above for 30 buck is nice for rifle rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom