• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    How important is it to keep your hand on the rear support? I've been looking at right hand rifles for close to a year now but can't seem to decide on what I want. The other day I was shooting a semi-auto .22 with the front resting on a bag and my right hand/fist supporting the rear for elevation control. I got to thinking how much of a pain it would be to remove and cycle a bolt with that hand.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm a lefty and I'd be better off with a breech loading single shot rifle than a right handed bolt action, but that's me. I own several left hand bolt rifles and do enjoy shooting them.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Depends on the shooter I guess. I'm a lefty on most rifles, and actually prefer using right-hand bolt actions when in prone, or off the bench/bipod.

For me, I can normally position myself to where my right hand isn't truly needed for supporting the rifle - that frees it up for cycling the bolt w/out breaking my shooting position in most cases. Although in prone, a rear bag would likely help me - especially when I get the chance to shoot F-class.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I'm a lefty and I'd be better off with a breech loading single shot rifle than a right handed bolt action, but that's me. I own several left hand bolt rifles and do enjoy shooting them.

Depends on the shooter I guess. I'm a lefty on most rifles, and actually prefer using right-hand bolt actions when in prone, or off the bench/bipod.

For me, I can normally position myself to where my right hand isn't truly needed for supporting the rifle - that frees it up for cycling the bolt w/out breaking my shooting position in most cases. Although in prone, a rear bag would likely help me - especially when I get the chance to shoot F-class.

The rear bag is what I'm not sure about and I have zero experience shooting with one. From what I can tell in the videos, most shooters have their free hand on the bag which makes sense to squeeze for fine elevation adjustments. If that adjustment is lost every time I cycle the bolt then I may want to look at left hand rifles.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Try before you buy, if possible. You may find that you can position yourself well enough that the rear bag is a nice accessory, not a necessity. Then again, you may find shooting lefty on a righty rifle is just plain uncomfortable. Different strokes for different folks.

For me, Improvise Adapt Overcome has been the philosophy when it comes to rifles/shotguns. Only way to find out, is to try.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Try before buy can be difficult unless one has friends or acquaintances that shoot long distance. I have never shot a lefty rifle and I'm very comfortable with right hands. I think the rear bag thing would be the only reason for me buying a left hand rifle.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    I'm a lefty to and went with a LH precision rifle and glad I did. In the process of building my 1st LH AR.

Attachments

• 20170101_173134.jpg
      20170101_173134.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 191
    • 20161230_150952.jpg
      20161230_150952.jpg
      97.5 KB · Views: 191

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Any input from the MDS right hand long range shooters? This isn't a left hand question only. How important is it to keep your hand on the rear bag between each shot? Or is it a non-issue because you have to readjust after each shot anyway? I would rather go with a right hand rifle for obvious reasons.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any input from the MDS right hand long range shooters? This isn't a left hand question only. How important is it to keep your hand on the rear bag between each shot? Or is it a non-issue because you have to readjust after each shot anyway? I would rather go with a right hand rifle for obvious reasons.

Unless I am shooting my 10/22, I have to adjust after every shot anyway. I typically use my left hand to support the rear when shooting off bags, but it depends heavily on the bench. Some benches are so damn low I can't. That's frankly my biggest gripe about some ranges as their benches are made for 5 foot tall people.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    One thing that I learned from Ed's class is that squeezing the rear bag for elevation adjustments is not the right thing to do. You want to get your front bipod/tripod on target and then use your rear bag for minor elevation adjustments. The rear bag adjustments aren't to come from your hand at all, it comes from sliding the fun forward/back as the rear stock is angled. If your positioned correctly, your gun shouldn't come off target much at all. In fact, I could watch some of my further hits actually hit the target through my scope once properly set up.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    One thing that I learned from Ed's class is that squeezing the rear bag for elevation adjustments is not the right thing to do. You want to get your front bipod/tripod on target and then use your rear bag for minor elevation adjustments. The rear bag adjustments aren't to come from your hand at all, it comes from sliding the fun forward/back as the rear stock is angled. If your positioned correctly, your gun shouldn't come off target much at all. In fact, I could watch some of my further hits actually hit the target through my scope once properly set up.

THIS X 1,000.
    Go take a class with Ed Shell, he knows his stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I missed out on his last class. Hopefully he will offer some more.

He offers classes throughout the year, the MDS one was just an intro into things that he did for us(and was much appreciated).

If I could afford to, I would like to spend an entire week with him, his knowledge base is enormous and he dumbs it down so retards like me can understand lol.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    He offers classes throughout the year, the MDS one was just an intro into things that he did for us(and was much appreciated).

If I could afford to, I would like to spend an entire week with him, his knowledge base is enormous and he dumbs it down so retards like me can understand lol.

I'll look into that once I get setup. Would be cooler to be an MDS crowd though. :brows:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'll look into that once I get setup. Would be cooler to be an MDS crowd though. :brows:

If you are looking for a familiar face to be a shooting buddy at an Ed Shell class let me know. I dont even know how to find out more information about when and where he does them.

At a minimum I would like to do an Appleseed weekend at AGC. I think the next one is in march. PM me if you want to meet up at the next MRGC rifle range date and shoot a right hand bolt action or at AGC and i sign you in as a guest.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    If you are looking for a familiar face to be a shooting buddy at an Ed Shell class let me know. I dont even know how to find out more information about when and where he does them.

At a minimum I would like to do an Appleseed weekend at AGC. I think the next one is in march. PM me if you want to meet up at the next MRGC rifle range date and shoot a right hand bolt action or at AGC and i sign you in as a guest.

I'm definitely up for everything that you said. :thumbsup: I'll be there this weekend but your next date is 2/19 on range 1. I'll be there also on that date. You should look into joining both clubs. ;)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm definitely up for everything that you said. :thumbsup: I'll be there this weekend but your next date is 2/19 on range 1. You should look into joining both clubs. ;)

Ok maybe we can meet up 2/19. I should have my new Savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5CM by then.

And Im already a member if two clubs. My wife just wouldn't understand adding a 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom