• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Just a thought. Mental exercise if you will so don't go all postal.

I know the buy sell transfer etc etc of standard capacity magazines law etc etc.

What is the legality of mailing magazines to another party from out of State.

Say I dropped a box of mags in the mail in Harrisburg to a receiver in MD. Because I did the deed out of state would I be criminally liable? Or would the receiver be criminally liable as they are within the jurisdiction?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Above is correct. A slightly harder thought exercize would be shipping magazines to your self, with both locations in MD, and then from outside of MD. Would both be considered "receiving"? How about airline traval with checked standard cap mag's?

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    How about shipping standard cap magazines to your enemies? Mailing all our soon to be banned mags to the HB991 sponsors would be ironic.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Above is correct. A slightly harder thought exercize would be shipping magazines to your self, with both locations in MD, and then from outside of MD. Would both be considered "receiving"? How about airline traval with checked standard cap mag's?

You’d be transferring them, which is agains the law. And since you are transferring in to Maryland, you are exposing yourself to Maryland jurisdiction. So, yes, MD AG could absolutely go after you. Same aplies to things like wire fraud, mail fraud, etc.

You don’t have to be standing on the soil if the action reaches in to the state.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

If you are sending it to yourself, you aren’t transferring them. They are your magazines. You cannot transfer, manufacture, sell or purchase a magazine of >10 rounds in Maryland. AG has already stated Md law doesn’t reach outside of MD and no, current, ban on posession. So you can do all of the above while you are physically outside of Maryland and then bring your property in to Maryland. In theory you could probably take posession outside of MD and then ship them to your home address.

I wouldn’t though. Don’t need trying to find out that the burden of proof gets stuck on me to prove I actually shipped them to myself and not someone else shipping them to me using my name.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Legal gun owners trying circumvent a stupid law are easy pickings for AG Frosh. It won't do a thing to stop any kind of violent crime but arresting a gun owner would be a feather in his cap and help validate the law and new proposals.

It would be far better to buy your magazines out of state and come back with them rather than mail them...just don't try and transfer them to anyone else.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Mailing all our soon to be banned mags to the HB991 sponsors would be ironic.

Mail them the magazine with a copy of the existing law printed out and rubber banded around the mag. Then a second paragraph informing them they are now guilty of illegally receiving a greater than 10 round magazine in MD.

Make them play by their own rules.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Mail them the magazine with a copy of the existing law printed out and rubber banded around the mag. Then a second paragraph informing them they are now guilty of illegally receiving a greater than 10 round magazine in MD.

Make them play by their own rules.

Is this illegal to do? Since the law being broken is on the receiver...but in the case of sending someone a firearm - the law breaker would presumably be the sender if the recipient didn't know what they were receiving..

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Is this illegal to do? Since the law being broken is on the receiver...but in the case of sending someone a firearm - the law breaker would presumably be the sender if the recipient didn't know what they were receiving..

a mag is not a firearm

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Also, you buying magazines out of state and bringing them back with you on a plane is legal. That's no different than driving out of state and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom