• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombie killer

Sep 11, 2013
    I think I know the answer to his question, but you guys are the experts so I'll ask anyways...is there a problem with conceal carrying a handgun registered to someone else, (ie. I have a ccw and my carry gun is the xds which is stuck at Springfield for the foreseeable future, my friend has an xds to lend me, is that kosher?)
    Ps. he lent me the gun last keek, so needing an HQL shouldn't be an issue, I think?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    But 281 states that you can not lend, rent, sell etc a handgun WITHOUT an HQL.

October 1st changed all the rules.

Jim Smith

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    But 281 states that you can not lend, rent, sell etc a handgun WITHOUT an HQL.

October 1st changed all the rules.

Jim Smith

Where are you getting this information? This is not a transfer or rental, and I would opine that the portions of the law regulating "receiving" a handgun are covering transfers of legal ownership also.

] (S) “Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a regulated firearm that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wouldn't CCW a handgun not registered to me. It would be "legal", but may be a PITA.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD SCOTUS said gratuitous loans are legal. But 281 says an HQL is needed to even receive:
    (B) (C) A PERSON MAY PURCHASE, RENT, OR RECEIVE A HANDGUN 7
    ONLY IF THE PERSON: 8

(1) (I) POSSESSES A VALID HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE 9
    ISSUED TO THE PERSON BY THE SECRETARY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS 10
    SECTION; AND 11
    so be careful. maybe seek the advice of an attorney.

ETA-get an HQL. No charge or training for current LTCH permittees.

Attachments

• MDSCRuling_on_loan.pdf
      227.2 KB · Views: 91

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I think I know the answer to his question, but you guys are the experts so I'll ask anyways...is there a problem with conceal carrying a handgun registered to someone else, (ie. I have a ccw and my carry gun is the xds which is stuck at Springfield for the foreseeable future, my friend has an xds to lend me, is that kosher?)
    Ps. he lent me the gun last keek, so needing an HQL shouldn't be an issue, I think?

I posed a somewhat similar scenario to the Maryland State Police last month, as one of a series of questions about whether a HQL would be required in various stituations. My "Scenario #2" involved a man temporarily lending his handgun to his girlfriend, until she was able to obtain a HQL and purchase her own handgun. On September 16, the commander of the Licensing Section at the Maryland State Police, Lt. John Cook, told me in an email, "A HQL would not be needed for Scenario 1 (temporary receipt for purposes of informal instruction or sporting purposes) and Scenario 2 (bona fide loans)." A fuller description of my questions and Lt. Cook's responses appears here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=131928

zombie killer

Sep 11, 2013
    Thanks for all your answers, gotta think about it. I don't want to lose my ccw/gun ownership rights over something dumb like borrowing a handgun without an HQL but I also don't want to wait forever for Springfield to get their stuff together to continue protecting myself.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I don't want to lose my ccw/gun ownership rights over something dumb like borrowing a handgun without an HQL. . .

Aside from the fact that bona fide loans are not transfers and require no paperwork, if you hold a current Maryland carry permit, you will be issued a HQL upon request by filling out the appropriate form on the MSP website. No fee will apply.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Thanks for all your answers, gotta think about it. I don't want to lose my ccw/gun ownership rights over something dumb like borrowing a handgun without an HQL but I also don't want to wait forever for Springfield to get their stuff together to continue protecting myself.

Case law shows that it is legal to loan a gun in Maryland so don't worry about it. The new law won't redo that.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    But as the attorney general has said MANY times in regard to interpreting 281, the Maryland State Police does not make policy.

Be careful,
    Jim Smith

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    So with this new law is it unlawful for a lawful handgun or "assault weapon", as defined by statute, owner to allow his son or daughter to handle or fire those regulated firearms without the son or daughter possessing a HQL? What about his wife? Can he take her to the range and let his wife shoot the Glock 19? Thanks.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    So with this new law is it unlawful for a lawful handgun or "assault weapon", as defined by statute, owner to allow his son or daughter to handle or fire those regulated firearms without the son or daughter possessing a HQL? What about his wife? Can he take her to the range and let his wife shoot the Glock 19? Thanks.

That is absurd. If a son or daughter wants to take the gun to the range why would they need a permit if they are of legal age and not disqualified from possessing a firearm?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From the Summary of the Final SB281 thread:

In an email dated Sept. 16, 2013, MSP Lt. John Cook said, "A HQL would not be needed for Scenario 1 (temporary receipt for purposes of informal instruction or sporting purposes) and Scenario 2 (bona fide loans)."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom