• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Right now you do not have to disclose that you have a permit or a firearm. I personally will but I see this all changing next legislative session.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The subject of the recent permit decision in MD has been discussed on the forum of the FOP lodge I belong to. I can tell you the response has been overwhelmingly positive regarding citizens getting permits, in fact I don't think I've read a single negative comment in that thread yet. The rank and file police overwhelmingly agree that law abiding citizens getting permits is a good thing and that they are not where the threat comes from.

As for revealing if you have a permit and are carrying if stopped, I would. Maryland doesn't require it (yet) under law but the fact you are carrying a gun is a bad thing to surprise the nice officer who stopped you with. I'd carry that permit right alongside my driver's license if it were me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The subject of the recent permit decision in MD has been discussed on the forum of the FOP lodge I belong to. I can tell you the response has been overwhelmingly positive, in fact I don't think I've read a single negative comment in that thread yet.

:thumbsup: Good to know.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The subject of the recent permit decision in MD has been discussed on the forum of the FOP lodge I belong to. I can tell you the response has been overwhelmingly positive regarding citizens getting permits, in fact I don't think I've read a single negative comment in that thread yet. The rank and file police overwhelmingly agree that law abiding citizens getting permits is a good thing and that they are not where the threat comes from.

As for revealing if you have a permit and are carrying if stopped, I would. Maryland doesn't require it (yet) under law but the fact you are carrying a gun is a bad thing to surprise the nice officer who stopped you with. I'd carry that permit right alongside my driver's license if it were me.

Here in NC, it is required of permit holders should they get pulled over. As one who open carries, and has gone through a State Police Checkpoint, I keep my gun on the front seat and inform the officer as soon as he approaches the car. I then ask for instructions on how he/she wishes to proceed.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock

That's exactly where mine is. Right behind my driver's license.

If/when I'm in the situation, the first thing I will do (after handing BOTH cards to the officer) in inform the him/her that I'm carrying. (*With well selected words and hands on the steering wheel.*)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hell, years ago when I wore a uniform, I had some who carried who didn't have permits. They were usually the nurse or late night worker, usually females tho who had pistols and they told me. I told them to not shoot me and we would be fine. It all depends on the situation and the person being stopped. All cops are not paranoid like the enthusiasm on gun forum posts usually perpetuate.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Just don't sit on your hands and yell, "I HAVE A GUN!"

That would be very bad.

Before I updated my CCW, the sheriff dept. employee in Iowa told me that my record of my previous 15 year-old CCW was available for police to learn of if I got pulled-over, or something like that.

z1colt45

Jul 1, 2009
    AA CO.
    id like to see the msp release some kind of statement regarding this issue in the next couple months just so there's no misunderstandings and everyone knows exactly whats expected of them. interactions between leos and ccp holders are going to increase dramatically no doubt. personally id declare it every time , just like when i get pulled over i pull my keys set them on the dash, turn my hazards on, and keep my hands in plain view. just easier that way, little room for error. i hope that all leo's in the state of md get a memo or something with some guidline's at least. if you're not required to make them aware of your weapon and you don't want to then don't. i cant think of a good reason not to though...

z1colt45

Jul 1, 2009
    AA CO.
    Hell, years ago when I wore a uniform, I had some who carried who didn't have permits. They were usually the nurse or late night worker, usually females tho who had pistols and they told me. I told them to not shoot me and we would be fine. It all depends on the situation and the person being stopped. All cops are not paranoid like the enthusiasm on gun forum posts usually perpetuate.

Most officers would handle it the right way. but id wager that some have never come across someone with a concealed weapon in their career before. with the flood of new ccp holder thats going to come i think itd be irresponsible not to be very clear on what happens when two armed people have an interaction. id feel more comfortable with my ccp that way.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Most officers would handle it the right way. but id wager that some have never come across someone with a concealed weapon in their career before. with the flood of new ccp holder thats going to come i think itd be irresponsible not to be very clear on what happens when two armed people have an interaction. id feel more comfortable with my ccp that way.

This was about 15 years or so ago when I was a deputy in Texas. Guns were no big deal really.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Been some years since I first got my restricted permit. But when they mailed me the permit there was a paper in there reminding me of locations where carrying was still prohibited even with permit (like courts i believe), could of sworn it also said if you were pulled over or stopped you Must let the officer know you're carrying? Has that changed or is my memory wrong?

Wouldn't surprise me if it did. Philadelphia does the same thing...give a "List of Rules"....none of which have any backing of State Law.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Common sense tells me we're better off with all the cards on the table (or the dash, in this case). We mustn't let paranoia place in a false position (under a LEO's gun). 99 times out of the 100, things will go OK, and in that other case, we still have our rights of redress.

We're not playing a game here, we act like responsible adults and expect the same from Law Enforcement personnel -- and that's the way it will happen.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    My LEO friend's (on Eastern Shore) state that "they" all have an agenda, so don't tell any LEO anything for which they don't ask. Like many have said, I was discussing that I would inform a LEO out of courtesy. They told me that I may want to re-think it.

One example given, was a minivan was stopped for speeding @ 2330, the guy informed the officer that he had weapons in the back & family (all in car) was moving to NJ.

Officer called for backup and my LT friend to come on scene. LT arrived and asked about situation where 3 cops surrounded vehicle. Turns out that the guy was an active duty US ARMY Colonel moving his family to Ft. Dix carrying his service weapons in cases UNDER all his luggage in the back of his van.

LT wanted to slap his deputy for stupidity. The LT profusely apologized to the Colonel releasing him without a ticket.

With a MD permit, I thought that every MD LEO would know that you were a permit holder anyway. Can any LEO's answer that? To me, you are being an honest law-abiding citizen by offering the info.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

z1colt45

Jul 1, 2009
    AA CO.
    This was about 15 years or so ago when I was a deputy in Texas. Guns were no big deal really.

exactly. this is maryland. one of the more restrictive states. i think it'd be a mistake if the msp didn't clarify this before the number of permits rocket. that being said, i don't believe that the leos "have an agenda" and ill just declare every time if no further guidance is given. maybe growing up with md's gun law tainted me...

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think ultimately informing will probably be a better idea. I think early on, there may be a few bad apple encounters, while I think most rank and file police won't care, I do know a cop who believes civilian ownership of firearms is bad; but even she acted within the law while working in Maine. She just told me she didn't like not knowing if they were armed or not especially before she ran the tags and stuff during a traffic stop.

I am hopeful that MSI's new line of communication with the MSP will help to establish a mutual trust, and set up some guidelines on how to make LEO encounters safe and respectful to both parties.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    My personal feeling is that if its not the law then for simple encounters with police (ie traffic stops) I would not inform them and since it would be concealed they would never know and shouldn't have any affect on the outcome of the stop. Saves both of us some wasted time and frustration and doesn't risk getting hassled by a cop having a bad day. Now if asked to step out of the vehicle or anything other than that I would tell them I have a concealed carry permit and where my firearm is located.

Obviously if it becomes law that you have to inform I would gladly do so, or depending on the circumstances of the stop I would do so as well, for instance, Officer -- "do you know why I stopped you?" Me -- "no, I wasn't speeding and don't think I broke any traffic laws" Officer -- "we just had an armed robbery with a vehicle that matched your description, can you tell me anything about that?" Me -- "no officer I couldn't tell you anything about that however I do have a concealed carry permit and I have an LCP in my right front pocket what do you want me to do?"

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I couldn't care less. Not that I work the regular cop job anymore.....whetherI know or not, you will make the same furtive movement to reach it and use it against me. I'll act accordingly. :)

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County

Thanks for the input and information. I firmly believe that communication between LEOs and the general public and CCW holders is going to be necessary so that everyone gets pretty much what they want/need.

Do you have any opinions on whether or not more/new training of officers may be needed? If so, what type?

Common sense tells me we're better off with all the cards on the table (or the dash, in this case).

I agree. Should I carry in the future, I anticipate full and fast disclosure should I encounter a LEO.

FWIW, my gf is an ER nurse and frequently encounters various LEOs at work. She often asks them their opinion on various gun related topics. The opinions run just about the same gamut as those questions would get here. Most are in favor of her having something for protection. A few seem to be understanding that because of where she works, carrying may not be bad, permit or not (Note, that is a third hand report of what may have been said. Just saying that she doesn't work in the best area, and the cops are pretty understanding of that for the most part.) Actually, the only weird thing is that one of the cops is amazed that she can fire a 9mm, wondering why she doesn't go with a .380. (My gf is a big girl. I'm sure she could handle .40 with no problem, and a 10mm shouldn't be out of the question.)

Finally, it looks like the disclosure issue is another that may/will come up when the GA starts to overhaul things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom