• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpm1953

Jun 16, 2015
    So, I was at the range a few weeks ago and decided to take my Super Redhawk and fire off some old reloads that had been gathering dust in an unlabeled container. I went through about 150 rounds and
    didn’t notice anything unusual except for some difficult extractions and a few extra smoky rounds.
    As usual, I’d just dump the cases into my range bag for later sorting & cleaning. When I got home, going through the cases, I noticed half dozen cases that looked like the one in the pic. As I never load to max,
    I was very surprised to see these split cases. So I took a few of them in to the Gun Guru at my LGS for an
    “autopsy”. He examined them and looked at me skeptically and asked, “what did you fire these from?”
    I told him, “Super Redhawk 44 Mag.” Shaking his head, he said, “These are 41 Mag shells.”

(Whoops!)

It was then I remembered that many years ago I had (and reloaded for) a Smith & Wesson Model 47.
    I had mixed these old reloads with some more current ones without thinking. He asked me to let him look at the gun before I fired it again, so I had it in his shop the next day. He examined the gun and declared it undamaged and told me I was lucky it was a Super Redhawk.

So,….I’ve learned a valuable lesson about organization.

Attachments

• whoops.jpg
      whoops.jpg
      18.8 KB · Views: 360

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Glad it was a leaning experience for you without adverse consequences, etc.

But firing a ( otherwice within pressure spec) .41 in a .44 mag wouldn't have any *pressure related* issues. Despite . Seeming .030 difference, the actual dia difference is only .019 , and pressure standards are similar. The functionally oversized chamber would serve to reduce pressures ( exact amount involving guess work, but in a downwards direction. The Potential risk would be in escaping gas , from either split case or failure to seal.

OTOH, accidentally firing a .41mag in ( non large frame Ruger).45Colt, or a .44spl with loose throats could have ruined your day.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Cheap lesson learned. I always keep my ammo in a box just for that load. Hard to tell difference in 41 and 44 on casual look. Glad you weren't hurt or blinded. Ruger makes tough guns for sure. Love mine in 454 Casull.

Ken

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    At some point, a handful of .40 S&W rounds ended up in my bag of .45 ACP (Dillon Border Shift bag).

They load in the mags fine. Many times, they just fall out the end of the barrel if you tip it down. But some engage the extractor and fire. Big bulge, split and no problems.

I would assume the same would happen with 9mm in a .40 pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom