• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Hey so I’m now getting into hunting, I know I’m late. I recently took the hunters ed course for north carolina since Md accepts out of state hunters ed and it’s basically impossible to do the Maryland extra process. I tried to get the license online but i got this. I can add everything but the season pass. Am i going to have to find a store to purchase it at or ?
    2342d8d70ef09fedd0da5d1927eb1977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    You still have to do a “field day” in Maryland and get the MD card. You just get to skip the classroom bit here.

-Rob

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Did you add the hunter’s safety course to your profile? I took hunter’s safety out of state 25+ years ago and didn’t have to do anything in Maryland other than add my certification to my profile in Compass.

Do you have your W&C permit? If so, you can get your hunting license without hunter’s safety.

Go into your Compass profile settings and make sure you’ve added your hunter’s safety cert.

Does North Carolina require a field day? Only state I’ve heard of that’s 100% online is Texas. That being said, it’s not impossible to complete the Maryland Hunter’s Safety course or Field Day.

EDIT: I noticed you’re getting a furbearer license. You do need to take trapper safety if your hunter’s safety doesn’t cover trapping. Mine was a combined course years ago, but the current Maryland Hunter’s Safety doesn’t cover trapping. I’m not sure about North Carolina.

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Did you add the hunter’s safety course to your profile? I took hunter’s safety out of state 25+ years ago and didn’t have to do anything in Maryland other than add my certification to my profile in Compass.

Do you have your W&C permit? If so, you can get your hunting license without hunter’s safety.

Go into your Compass profile settings and make sure you’ve added your hunter’s safety cert.

Does North Carolina require a field day? Only state I’ve heard of that’s 100% online is Texas. That being said, it’s not impossible to complete the Maryland Hunter’s Safety course or Field Day.

EDIT: I noticed you’re getting a furbearer license. You do need to take trapper safety if your hunter’s safety doesn’t cover trapping. Mine was a combined course years ago, but the current Maryland Hunter’s Safety doesn’t cover trapping. I’m not sure about North Carolina.
    He can get the furbearer stamp without that, but not the license (I assume). I get this every year in case I shoot a coyote, fox, or raccoon (though each of those very rarely happens for me). I shoot them while hunting other things, I don’t trap at all, and never have.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park

Ok so update. I didn’t know about the adding my cert to the profile, I did and now I’m able to get my license online(see pic). Also when I took the North Carolina one it covered trapping & different traps and also using hounds. Now I just need to know what to get in addition to the season dear permit.
    1aa97028f2bbd80e3013da902ecc838b.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You've got 7 months and 29 days to figure out . ( License year is 8/ 01 to 7/31 . Unless you're going spring turkey hunting , wait until August .)

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    You've got 7 months and 29 days to figure out . ( License year is 8/ 01 to 7/31 . Unless you're going spring turkey hunting , wait until August .)

Yea I seen the 7/31 part as end of the year. Thought it would have been like the fishing license. I got it figured out for deer hunting cause I can get it now. Just gotta figure what I need to select in addition to the deer season, and if the course from NC that included trapping(see pic) is covered like someone previously stated
    0674470ba684d8bc8d475be354c84262.jpg

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    fd4b901a1a026ab2bcb9a6e4a30bb748.jpg

Guess I’m good on trapping but will still need to purchase the additional furbearer, bow, and other add ons? I didn’t get a secondary cert for the trapping section I took.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You only have this weekend for gun left for deer. Then its archery until the 30th, or there about. Then primitive season for a couple days. Squirrel and rabbit until the end of February, I think. So full season license covers that.

You missed muzzleloader now, so no sense buying it and you will the bow stamp if you are going to bow hunt this month.

Also bucks is very confusing. You get one buck per weapon season and a bonus buck (If you buy that stamp, before shooting another). So 4 if so luck. Only one can have under three point on one side. If you shoot one in gun and another in gun, there go your bonus and you're locked into only taking another in the available weapon seasons, like archery and black powder.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    You only have this weekend for gun left for deer. Then its archery until the 30th, or there about. Then primitive season for a couple days. Squirrel and rabbit until the end of February, I think. So full season license covers that.

You missed muzzleloader now, so no sense buying it and you will the bow stamp if you are going to bow hunt this month.

Also bucks is very confusing. You get one buck per weapon season and a bonus buck (If you buy that stamp, before shooting another). So 4 if so luck. Only one can have under three point on one side. If you shoot one in gun and another in gun, there go your bonus and you're locked into only taking another in the available weapon seasons, like archery and black powder.

Ok so it’s better for me to just wait for the end of July to apply for next season. Which I don’t mind as it gives me time to get the right straight wall and get some practice in with it and also get my bow and practice in. I don’t want to rush into it I just wanted to make sure I had all my stuff squared away. I definitely not planning to do muzzle, was just adding it to the list to see if it was going to work.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If hunting public best to do a lot of looking around and ask around. Some places are good for archery but gun hunting public is crazy. I had a spot in someone's yard near Greenbriar state park. I could kill deer over there until Gun season and it was over until the end of January as they went full nocturnal. That mountain was mobbed with people. If hunting public plan to hit archery hard through November.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    If hunting public best to do a lot of looking around and ask around. Some places are good for archery but gun hunting public is crazy. I had a spot in someone's yard near Greenbriar state park. I could kill deer over there until Gun season and it was over until the end of January as they went full nocturnal. That mountain was mobbed with people. If hunting public plan to hit archery hard through November.

Ah ok. Yea I gotta do some surveying around, I know I’m way behind the ball.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    One note. I noticed you said you were schooled on hounds in NC. Using hounds to run deer is a big no-no in MD. I know VA and other Southern states allow it, but not here.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    One note. I noticed you said you were schooled on hounds in NC. Using hounds to run deer is a big no-no in MD. I know VA and other Southern states allow it, but not here.
    NC is a county-by-county thing. Some even allow jack lighting deer (I'm from a county that allows dogs but no jack lighting).

No dogs on deer in MD.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park

Oh I don’t have any lol, just saying what was in the nc course.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I usually buy my Hunting license in July. Fishing licenses are good for a year from the day you bought it. Hunting licenses are year specific ending 7/31 each year.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I usually buy my Hunting license in July. Fishing licenses are good for a year from the day you bought it. Hunting licenses are year specific ending 7/31 each year.

Yea I’m gonna wait till the new hunting season. I’m glad I have everything done though. I might just mess around and buy it just so it’s in the system that I already had one

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yea I’m gonna wait till the new hunting season. I’m glad I have everything done though. I might just mess around and buy it just so it’s in the system that I already had one

It seems like I've had trouble ordering one before July. Just make sure they are selling you one for the 24-25 season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom