• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I'm trying to find a scope that weighs under 17oz and has decent glass and some sort of ranging reticle. Must be no more than 3x on the bottom end. Currently looking at Leupold mk3 hd 3-9x40 mildot, the trijicon accupower 3-9x40 mildot, and the Swarovski z3 3-10 with the brx reticle. Scope will be going on a ar10 and will be mostly used for hunting but will also get used out to 500yds on steel possibly farther. Anybody have any experience with any of the above or a recommendation on one that fits the bill? Don't really have a set budget on this but would be nice if it was @ or under $1k.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Look at the trijicon credo's. 2-10x36 checks almost all your boxes, except a little heavier.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Look at the trijicon credo's. 2-10x36 checks almost all your boxes, except a little heavier.
    The credo is very nice but 11 ounces heavier than the accupoint and I believe the 2 share the same glass. My main goal for this rifle is to stay under 8lbs scoped. Hopefully closer to 7.5. It will be used mostly to stalk up and down some pretty hilly terrain In search of deer, bear and yotes.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    It's 5 ounces heavier, and the main difference is FFP versus SFP.

I don't understand the desire for a SFP ranging reticle for that application. You're not often going to be walking around at full magnification.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    It's 5 ounces heavier, and the main difference is FFP versus SFP.

I don't understand the desire for a SFP ranging reticle for that application. You're not often going to be walking around at full magnification.
    The only desire for a ranging reticle is for those times at the range and those will be easily accomplished on max magnification. If this were more a range toy the credo would make more sense but it's primary role is hunting and I'm not a big fan of ffp on low power scopes when hunting. At 2x or 3x in low light they can be hard to see.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You might consider Leupold's VX3-HD ZL Duplex in 2.5x8x36. Has the zero lock CDS dial. IMO, an ideal lightweight big game scope at all practical hunting ranges. More of a compromise at "500 yards possibly farther." Weight is 11.8 oz.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    You might consider Leupold's VX3-HD ZL Duplex in 2.5x8x36. Has the zero lock CDS dial. IMO, an ideal lightweight big game scope at all practical hunting ranges. More of a compromise at "500 yards possibly farther." Weight is 11.8 oz.

I'm not a big fan of the cds system every time I change loads It would require a new turret. That scope is very light though. I bet leupold would put the mk3hd style Turret on one through their custom shop though.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'm not a big fan of the cds system every time I change loads It would require a new turret. That scope is very light though. I bet leupold would put the mk3hd style Turret on one through their custom shop though.

Understood on CDS. Pros and cons for sure. It's a solid hunting scope. But yes, load changes are not compatable with the idea of a "set it and forget it" CDS, and would by definition pretty much defeat the purpose of a dedicated load and dial combo. One could argue (well I might add) that a maximum point blank range zero to 275 yards with that cartridge largely covers most hunting bases to begin with, but that's another discussion.

You know, I'm not sure what's going on with Leupold's Custom Shop nowadays. It seemed to me that they sort of went by the wayside a few years back, at least with regard to the many services they once offered. Covid maybe? But maybe they're back up and running again. Maybe someone who has been in contact with Leupold recently will chime in. Be curious to know myself.

Good Luck!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe not what you were looking for exactly, but I had picked up a Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40mm scope with BDC out to 500yds SFP, 11.5oz. It is sitting on my AR-10. I am pretty sure they are discontinued. But I grabbed it on close out for around $60 when they were running $200+. NOT Leupold quality glass. But the glass is pretty good, and for sure light weight. I've had no issues with it in a few hundred rounds. I have not carried it bumping around in the woods yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom