• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N00bSh00ter

Feb 6, 2014
    MoCo
    I finally found the time to get my wife out to the range with our new Glock 19. Unfortunately, she had a tough time getting the gun to fully cycle after several shots. She was having a tough time keeping it under control once the gun fired. I suspect her limp wrist was to blame for the malfunctions, because I've already shot several hundred rounds through it without a single issue.

It's strange, because part of the reason we chose the gun was that she performed fine with one we rented in the past.

It goes without saying, we're going to be taking several classes soon. However, I thought it would also be helpful to ask you guys if you or someone you know had issues like this, and how you overcame them. I know in time, she'll get used to it and the issues will likely stop (she's 5'11 and strong, so it's not a size issue), but I'd just like to know what certain techniques worked for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    My mother had the same issue when I first had her shoot my Glock 34. Just remind them to maintain a firm grip (not a strangling one...) and full arm extension.

That should at least get rid of the limp-wristing issues.

These guys go into grip extra deep.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    The best way to correct her issues is with her spending time with a qualified instructor who can evaluate and correct any problems.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Is the problem limp wristing? Or is she flinching when she pulls the trigger?

Load a few dummy rounds or spent casings into a mag with regular loaded rounds. Don't let her know which is which, give her the pistol and watch her as she shoots. If she flinch recoils on a dead round, then you will know the problem.

I suspect that is what she is doing. Some folks have that issue after the first day of shooting. They like to shoot but it still hurts the hands a bit. So the body adjusts by flinching. It's involuntary and can be controlled once it is known to be the problem.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    However, I thought it would also be helpful to ask you guys if you or someone you know had issues like this, and how you overcame them. I know in time, she'll get used to it and the issues will likely stop (she's 5'11 and strong, so it's not a size issue), but I'd just like to know what certain techniques worked for you.

I got Mrs. Safetech (5'4", 112 lbs)a Mag 98, and she had the same problem. Limp-wristing. And almost every round jammed.

It shoots flawlessly for me.

She also has a full size SR9 (in addition to her LC9). Shoots that with no problem what so ever. So it doesn't seem to be size or caliber related. I think (and I'm no expert) that it's simply the ergonomics of the gun

The Mag 98 is pretty much now mine. And I got her a P83. (She wanted a Polish gun). And that seems to work much better for her. (But the Rugers are still her favorite shooters.)

If the problem with Glock persists, even after working with it a little, just get her another gun. No sense in her getting frustrated for nothing.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I experienced this with my wife. She shoots every gun in the safe with no problems and really wanted to buy a few Glocks before the hammer fell.

She had issues with the 34 and the 19, even though she has shot other Glocks with no problem. She was super frustrated. She had a hiatus from shooting due to pregnancy, and in the meantime I racked the 19's slide thousands of times while watching Cops and the like on tv. I never had problems shooting it and now neither does she :)

I am no gunsmith or instructor, but this is what worked for me. Feel free to PM me, and please keep us posted.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My mother had the same issue when I first had her shoot my Glock 34. Just remind them to maintain a firm grip (not a strangling one...) and full arm extension.

That should at least get rid of the limp-wristing issues.

These guys go into grip extra deep.

I didn't watch the video, I am already seeing the issue with this guy. His thumbs are pointing UP and not down on the frame to help stabilize the pistol. You need to have 100% coverage where your hands can cover the pistol.
    If pressure from a grip has to be explained, it should be like this....
    The strong hand should be applying pressure on the left and right sides of the grip and the support hand should be applying pressure to the front and backside.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****You are right about his thumbs. He is actually demonstrating bad form. That's Rob Pincus and he teaches a lot of personal defense and other classes to regular people, and state law enforcement along with military folks, etc..I've seen him shoot and his normal grip is with thumbs forward and a nice even grip on all four sides of the grip. He is a really good shot with both revolver and semi auto. I think the NRA still sells his PDN defense videos for fundraising, etc.. That video must be pretty old as he looks a lot older now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    They're demonstrating why thumbs up is bad in that still. They teach thumbs forward.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    It's probably because your recoil spring is a lot newer and stiffer than the rental one. The stiffer the spring the stronger the backing it needs to push against. If you shoot it a lot of work the action a lot it should be fine. The rental gun worked for her probably because it had a few thousand rounds through it. Do you need that many before it works for her? Probably not.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    Another thought to consider...

From time to time, I find my grip "relaxing"...sort of limp-wristing, but no malfunctions.

What I've found effective (NOTE: I use Weaver stance, and am right-handed) is locking my right arm and concentrating on pushing my right hand toward the target...sort of "helping" the bullet toward the target.

This helps me control recoil and get the sights back on target quickly.

My $0.02...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom