• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    As a lot of you know, my brother and I sell soft lead. Every once and awhile, we come across other types of lead, keep some for ourselves and sell the rest.
    Well tonight, we were able to score over 660 pounds of linotype. Most of it is in the desirable small print pieces! We haven’t come across a large source like this in a few years. Last time we did, it didn’t last long before we sold out.
    I thought I’d post it here before I list it in the classified section, or on any other websites.
    If anyone is interested send me a PM. It will be available for pickup only in Frederick, for $1.75 per pound.

Mods, if this post is not allowed, please take it down.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Here a picture of the linotype.

Attachments

• DD88FAA2-2F26-4590-8437-AC7FA01ACDF3.jpg
      DD88FAA2-2F26-4590-8437-AC7FA01ACDF3.jpg
      123.8 KB · Views: 392

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I wish I lived closer. I would take some off your hands. That is one hell of a find!!!!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I wish I lived closer. I would take some off your hands. That is one hell of a find!!!!

Yeah this stuff is getting harder to find as time passes. I had to look at my old post, it looks like the last time I found a big lot of linotype was back in 2019. I posted that I was purchasing 1,000 pounds, but i ended up buying 1,800 pounds.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Yeah this stuff is getting harder to find as time passes. I had to look at my old post, it looks like the last time I found a big lot of linotype was back in 2019. I posted that I was purchasing 1,000 pounds, but i ended up buying 1,800 pounds.

Most times I've found it for a decent price it was too far to pick up and shipping upped the price to where it just wasn't worth it.

I couldn't imagine melting down 1800 pounds!!!!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Me want!

Do you know the hardness of it? is it like 20+?

Do you also have some pure lead left?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Me want!

Do you know the hardness of it? is it like 20+?

Do you also have some pure lead left?

I haven’t tested this batch for it’s hardness, but every time I’ve done it in the past, linotype has always been between 21-22. I can’t imagine this batch would be any different.

Right now I'm out of pure lead but send me a pm. I should be getting more soft lead in soon. I will have sheet lead in sheet form, and ingots made from sheet lead.
    Thanks for the interest!

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I bought about 100 pounds last time Brickman301 had linotype. It was good quality stuff and made good bullets. I wish I was still in Frederick so I could get more. A 16 hour drive is a bit much for lead.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Linotype is 4% Tin, 12% Antimony and 84% Lead. BNH hardness is 22. Lead is 5. wheel weights are 12. Linotype is brittle but mixed with lead it makes for a great cast bullet. Mixed with equal parts of lead it makes the equivalent of Lyman no. 2 which makes for an excellent cast bullet. I’ve been casting those for years with great success and no leading in barrels. Mostly revolver applications.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Can you educate us on what Linotype lead is and why its so desirable?

It makes nice hard cast bullets when you mold them as is. It’s usually 4% tin, 12% antimony, and 84% lead, although the composition varies.

Lyman #2 alloy, as a comparison, is 5% tin, 5% antimony, and 90% lead.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Linotype is 4% Tin, 12% Antimony and 84% Lead. BNH hardness is 22. Lead is 5. wheel weights are 12. Linotype is brittle but mixed with lead it makes for a great cast bullet. Mixed with equal parts of lead it makes the equivalent of Lyman no. 2 which makes for an excellent cast bullet. I’ve been casting those for years with great success and no leading in barrels. Mostly revolver applications.

It makes nice hard cast bullets when you mold them as is. It’s usually 4% tin, 12% antimony, and 84% lead, although the composition varies.

Lyman #2 alloy, as a comparison, is 5% tin, 5% antimony, and 90% lead.

Great info. Thanks

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Did you also buy Enfields for $39 out of a barrel at the hardware store :)

Nope. I missed those. I never even saw them. If I had, I would have.

I started casting in 1977. Linotype was available at almost any scrap metal dealer for 35 cents per pound.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lyman Reloading Handbook, 45th. Edition

4 pounds Linotype
    1 pound 50/50 bar solder
    5 pounds pure lead
    Makes 10 pounds of #2 alloy

The 50/50 solder is to add tin which improves casting and gives a better bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom