• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Stemming from the Silver-Gold thread.

(Hypothetically speaking, because I believe the government will have my back and take care of all my needs)

(a semi rural setting, or suburban, not inner city)
    In the 1st month of a total collapse of society, SHTF scenario, No governing body, no transport of goods, no stocked stores, etc.
    Only resemblance of organization is the neighbors and you that are on good terms and of like minded. And possibly a skeleton sheriffs dept if that.

So what would be your list of stuff you stock to use to "Barter" or as currency ??
    I do not see gold or silver worth anything in this critical time.

My list would be:

Nothing (because I stocked up on all I would need in this situation)
    Ammo
    Full propane cylinders (small coleman size and 20#)
    Small PVC water filters (keep the components on hand to make them as barter items)
    Of course food,, canned veggies and canned meat

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    A vagina and a pair of DSLs will always be a valuable commodity of exchange.

Uncomfortable, but accurate.

OnlyFans, SeekingArrangments, and other online platforms illustrate that women who need to ply a trade will always have one commodity that they can monetize. Right now, the digital media are just surrogates for what would happen in a real dystopian world.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

(Hypothetically speaking, because I believe the government will have my back and take care of all my needs)

In the 1st month of a total collapse of society, SHTF scenario, No governing body, no transport of goods, no stocked stores, etc.
    Only resemblance of organization is the neighbors and you that are on good terms and of like minded. And possibly a skeleton sheriffs dept if that.

So what would be your list of stuff you stock to use to "Barter" or as currency ??

My list would be:

Ammo
    Small PVC water filters (keep the components on hand to make them as barter items)
    Vice is nice
    smokes
    matches
    likker
    blue pills
    trojans
    dip

Chow is now.
    eggs
    water purification device and maybe even water
    canned goods

knowledge is power (entertainment may be more important later)
    how to books like foxfire etc PDRs etc
    novels and what not increase in value as event plays out over time

barter is good. Barter also presumes a safe place to barter and a way to vet the folks you barter with. That’s really important.

ammo
    meds
    medical stuff

as for filthy luchre, I see specie/ paper as fast losing it’s “luster”. Give it a month or two and it’s shit tickets. Coinage I see differently. Old silver I see has retaking some value for some time if not indefinitely. PMs are better in small, defined quantities. Trading a kilo or ten # bar of silver is the exception vice the rule.

cleaning/disinfecting products will increase in value

clothing repair items will increase in value as supply chain closure makes mending great again.

flour

salt

sugar

honey

fire starting implements of any type

tarps

TP/ Charmin

anti diarrhea meds
    GI meds/antacids

women’s makeup of any kind

knives and hatchets and axes and scissors

I‘ll just stop there as that’s plenty to start

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    When and if things get really ugly, will you find yourself reluctant to trade off the sort of stuff that you may not be able to replace?

I found myself in the position of being unwilling to triple my purchase price during the Great Ammo Shortage, because of replacement issues. (BTW, some stuff is still nearly double what I paid).

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Electricity. Anyone with a power source to charge up small electronics will have something to barter. A small solar panel will be a steady source of income

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Fish hooks
    Sewing needles
    Thread

But what is most important long term is tradable skills!
    Blacksmith
    Potter
    Weaver
    Farmer
    Millwright

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021

My list would be:

Ammo
    Canned or freeze-dried food, batteries, gasoline, blankets, flashlights, motorcycles, radios (2-way VHF/UHF), HAM radio equipment, .22 cal ammunition, (9mm, .38 spl, 5.56 and other common calibers), vegetable seeds, meat preservatives, canning equipment, candles, lanterns, kerosene, heating oil, diesel, chlorine bleach, soap, alcohol, antibiotics, sterile dressings, analgesics, tea and coffee, boots and shoes, rainwear, work gloves, knives, basic carpentry tools, basic mechanic's tools. And salt.

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    Ammo
    I'd never barter ammo. Bullets are like boomerangs that can come right back at you.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A vagina and a pair of DSLs will always be a valuable commodity of exchange.

Uncomfortable, but accurate.

OnlyFans, SeekingArrangments, and other online platforms illustrate that women who need to ply a trade will always have one commodity that they can monetize. Right now, the digital media are just surrogates for what would happen in a real dystopian world.
    *****THIS.

right.jpg

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I guess it depends on the actual scenario in play what is most valuable. Assuming a general break down in the supply chain...

People will be miserable. Anything to remove that misery will be useful. It might be dangerous to be seen as a source of food, though, so maybe not being too generous would be a good idea. Look hungry. Not very kind, perhaps, but hungry people will take everything.

Booze and tobacco. Forget cigs. They are damned expensive. Get some pipe tobacco and rolling papers. Cheap booze. People won't be picky. With land and forethought some tobacco plants can be planted and some kind of grain for distilling.

Toilet paper is the new gold. Not technically a necessity; but such a strong luxury that it can build some good will. Unfortunately, it takes up a lot of space and it could be a long time before it could be replaced. So...paper gold.

Can openers. A box of dollar store openers would be cheap and likely valuable.

Batteries, maybe. Disposables for trade. Keep some rechargables (and a way to charge them without the grid) for yourself.

Space blankets?

Everyone has some pretty good ideas above. Anything you can grow is good. Got a well (and the ability to use it?)? Clean water might be important. I'd like to be able to trade renewables, things that I can replace.

I don't know. It seems that almost anything will be valuable if things get bad enough.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I believe having a trade/skill is the best barter/trade item in the long run.
    Yes. And the key is a trade or skill that will be in demand. A blacksmith can make tools for other trades but there won't be a lot of demand for computer programmers. A tinsmith can make Betty Lamps and candle molds but a community organizer might have trouble finding paying clients.

Take an honest inventory of the skills you have that you could barter in a post apocalyptic world and bear in mind that skills lots of people have or skills that require significant "modern" support goods and services will be on the wrong end of the supply/demand equation. (like carpenter or 3-D printing) If you lack marketable skills find an area you find interesting and start learning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom