• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stricer555

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Jessup
    If Maryland accepts the ATF number then that is the one to get since if you ever move out of this terrible state you will still be able to sell the gun. If you have the Maryland compliant number and move out of state then your only option is to destroy it, I don't believe serial numbers can be altered. I guess you could have an MD compliant number AND an ATF number if there is room on the gun, something like a polymer 80 you wouldn't even have room to put another number.

I thank DWN for providing the service, I don't know why everybody is piling on the guy for trying to help and follow this dumb law. Sure I get the whole BGOS thing, but facing down a felony charge and 10k+ fines is no joke for people either. Everybody is tough until they are facing some liberal MD judge that wants to make an example of you.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If Maryland accepts the ATF number then that is the one to get since if you ever move out of this terrible state you will still be able to sell the gun. If you have the Maryland compliant number and move out of state then your only option is to destroy it, I don't believe serial numbers can be altered. I guess you could have an MD compliant number AND an ATF number if there is room on the gun, something like a polymer 80 you wouldn't even have room to put another number.

I thank DWN for providing the service, I don't know why everybody is piling on the guy for trying to help and follow this dumb law. Sure I get the whole BGOS thing, but facing down a felony charge and 10k+ fines is no joke for people either. Everybody is tough until they are facing some liberal MD judge that wants to make an example of you.

Why would one have to destroy it if is moved out of state with a MD serial number?

At that point, there is no semantic meaning to the serial number, its just a number like another serial number.

And possession is not a felony - 2yr misdemeanor. The MGA wants to make sure people can still retain their high taxable incomes... think about that for a minute.

stricer555

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Jessup
    Why would one have to destroy it if is moved out of state with a MD serial number?

At that point, there is no semantic meaning to the serial number, its just a number like another serial number.

And possession is not a felony - 2yr misdemeanor. The MGA wants to make sure people can still retain their high taxable incomes... think about that for a minute.
    The MD number does not meet the ATF requirements. So if you are not in MD and want to sell the gun then the MD number means nothing and it will have to be given an ATF compliant number. On a ploymer80 you simply don't have the room to do this, AR lowers its probably not an issue since you have the room.

You are correct about the misdemeanor, I just re-read the law. Still every charge is separate for every gun they find so the average builder would still be looking at tons of fines and jail time if they get the book thrown at them.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here is what I received this morning from MSP
    For those who didn't read it, this is the pertinent text of the advisory sent out by the MSP:

The Maryland State Police Licensing Division (MSPLD) would like to advise FFLs that the marking of a PMF or unfinished frame or receiver per PS 5-703(B)(2)(II)(1)(A-C) is a gunsmithing service and that the imprinting of the State mandated personal identification number is not associated with the Licensee's FFL number. The customer presenting the PMF or unfinished frame or receiver to the FFL, shall provide the FFL with the alphanumeric characters to imprint as per PS 5-703. FFLs are advised that the personal identification number shall be imprinted on a single line in the following manner:

• Postal zip code of the current owner or person that made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm, followed by

• Initials of the current owner or person that made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm, followed by

• A number that has not been used by the current owner or person that made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm on any other firearm that this person made, completed, or initially assembled.

Example of Personal Identification Number Format: 21208MSP001

What I'd like to know, is, if this is just a gunsmithing service, does that now mean that I don't have to do a transfer and pay a transfer fee if I have this work done? If I take my 1982 S&W revolver that I bought used in Texas in 1987 prior to moving to Maryland in for a gunsmithing repair service, it does not require a transfer.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Okay, so I am not an english scholar. Caught me.
    Yes, I make money. My rates are low and I refuse to take advantage of these rules. I engrave a lot more than just firearms so I do not need to "jack up" prices just because of these new rules.
    As far as what happens when your "killy" thing is stolen, get the answers from the MSP, not me.
    Also, I remember the good old days of dating loose women. Definitely worth the memories.
    Either I missed it or nobody has asked…how much do you charge per firearm to do the engraving service?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If the goal it tracking a lost or stolen, privately made firearm, and the builder has it engraved with a unique number of his/her choosing and recorded it themselves, the firearm can be identified and therefore tracked.
    Registration with the ATF or the MSP adds nothing to the process.
    The only reason for registration is to create a list for future confiscation, which we all know is the ultimate goal of the legislators that passed this into law.
    This is obvious because they included the HQL requirement in the law knowing that is why many built their PMFs in the first place. Comply with the HQL and subsequent registration, or destroy your build if staying in Marylandistan.
    Of course, all of the criminals will be applying for HQLs and getting their "ghost guns" serialized and registered before the law goes into effect.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    By the way, am I correct assuming the FFL doing engraving does not have to be located in the state of Maryland?

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    By the way, am I correct assuming the FFL doing engraving does not have to be located in the state of Maryland?
    The language of the statute does not specify that the FFL be situated in Maryland.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Don't be the guy who does this.
    I'm a fan of LEO in general.
    But they need to think if its worth it to not arrest perps, but pursue the avg. lawful firearm owner.
    I have a lot to lose.
    I also believe if you don't stand for it, you don't deserve it.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Don't be the guy who does this.
    I'm a fan of LEO in general.
    But they need to think if its worth it to not arrest perps, but pursue the avg. lawful firearm owner.
    I have a lot to lose.
    I also believe if you don't stand for it, you don't deserve it.

Arresting otherwise lawful, respectful gun owners is easy and gets a feather in the cap.

Arresting hard-core violent criminals doing violent things is hard and risks injury.

Which do you think LE will go after?

After all, arrest and let the judge sort it out.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    To those making the coward/cuck comments… Will you be taking your pmf’s to the public range to enjoy them?? Doubtful. (Coward?) I’m of the opinion one serialized frame for range use, one P80 frame for future off grid whatever.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    To those making the coward/cuck comments… Will you be taking your pmf’s to the public range to enjoy them?? Doubtful. (Coward?) I’m of the opinion one serialized frame for range use, one P80 frame for future off grid whatever.
    They're no good to you locked in a safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom