Live in Md and looking for good places to buy used OU 12 shotgun for Clay Sports

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Hi Shooters,

I'm interested in purchasing a 12-gauge OU shotgun specifically designed for clay sports. While considering options, I've come across budget-friendly Turkish models like the Mossberg Gold Medal Reserve Super Sport. However, after reading reviews, concerns about reliability have arisen. Some recommendations advise opting for a used shotgun from a well-established and trusted brand. Can you direct me to a reliable source where I can find a diverse selection of used over-and-under 12-gauge shotguns tailored for clay sports?

I am open to buying in surrounding states.

Thanks!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    You’re smart to make a gun that fits you your top priority!

Off the top of my head, two establishments from which I have purchased used o/u’s - AFTER they patiently pulled each gun off the rack for me to close my eyes, mount the gun and then open my peepers (we selectively set aside the ones that fit) are:

Shydas in Lebanon, PA; and,

Miller’s in DE

*I called ahead and inquired if there was a time they preferred I drop in as I knew I’d be taking up someone’s time for at least a 1/2 hour (back in the 2000’s that trip to DE had me in the store for over two hours (they had something like betw 30 and 40 o/u’s on consignment at that time!) and the guy mentioned their appreciating me calling ahead and making sort of an “appt.”

Shydas used to have all their consignment guns out on the floor so, ”shopping used for fit” always went quicker there …

BOTH times, I walked out with TWO used o/u’s - for the price of one new one - and all of which fit me too a tee!

What is your location?

Also, THERE HAVE BEEN AT LEAST A COUPLE (relatively) RECENT THREADS ON First Shotgun Purchases - and would be worth your time searching for them.

Last edited:

justeric

Apr 6, 2010

Off the top of my head, two establishments from which I have purchased used o/u’s - AFTER they patiently pulled each gun off the rack for me to close my eyes, mount the gun and then open my peepers (we selectively set aside the ones that fit) are:

Miller’s in DE

*I called ahead and inquired if there was a time they preferred I drop in as I knew I’d be taking up someone’s time for at least a 1/2 hour (back in the 2000’s that trip to DE had me in the store for over two hours (they had something like betw 30 and 40 o/u’s on consignment at that time!) and the guy mentioned their appreciating me calling ahead and making sort of an “appt”

Shydas used to have all their consignment guns out on the floor so, ”shopping used for fit” always went quicker there …

What is your location?

THERE HAVE BEEN AT LEAST A COUPLE (relatively) RECENT THREADS ON THIS - and would be worth your time searching for them.

Thanks, slsc98, for your thorough response! Currently, I'm using a Beretta Xcel semi-automatic shotgun, although it's been sitting unused for quite some time. Upon taking it out recently, I noticed a significant issue with my head position—it's positioned too high, causing me to look down on the rail. Despite adjusting the shims from 40 to 45, the problem persists, and I suspect it's affecting my aim, possibly causing me to shoot too high. This weekend, I plan to pattern it to better assess the issue. I've reached out to Beretta via email inquiring about additional shims that could help lower my face, but I've yet to receive a response.

After delving into various YouTube videos, I've come to understand the critical importance of proper fit, which led me to consider the Mossberg Gold Reserve Super Sport priced at $1,100. Additionally, I've looked into the pricier alternative, the SKB 90-TSS Sport, priced at $1,900. While this Turkish gun has received mixed reviews, there have been no complaints about recoil. I'm also contemplating the Silver Pigeon Sport priced at $2,500, but I'm uncertain about its adjustability features.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010

Miller’s in DE

*I called ahead and inquired if there was a time they preferred I drop in as I knew I’d be taking up someone’s time for at least a 1/2 hour (back in the 2000’s that trip to DE had me in the store for over two hours (they had something like betw 30 and 40 o/u’s on consignment at that time!) and the guy mentioned their appreciating me calling ahead and making sort of an “appt.”

BOTH times, I walked out with TWO used o/u’s - for the price of one new one - and all of which fit me too a tee!

What is your location?

Also, THERE HAVE BEEN AT LEAST A COUPLE (relatively) RECENT THREADS ON First Shotgun Purchases - and would be worth your time searching for them.
    I live in Woodbine Md.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Check Angler's in Annapolis/Cape St. Claire. They have a selection of consignment guns. No telling if they have any O/U's at the moment. You can sometimes negotiate those prices depending if the consignee left any room to play.

Blazer

Oct 29, 2020
    Take the drive to Joel Etchen guns in Ligonier, Pa. They have Browning and Beretta clay guns. Cove Creek Outfitters in Bedford is another good place. I bought my Blazer F16 there. P&G Shooting Center carries Beretta clay guns and they can help out.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Stupid question, really stupid. Can a MD resident buy a shotgun in PA and take it home or is it FFL to FFL still? I've never owned a shotgun but I know I should already know this. lol

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Yes. Long guns can be purchased from adjoining states as long as it can be legally purchased in MD. Some dealers won't as they just don't want to deal with MD rules.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    OP is looking for a place to Buy A Used o/u …

OP, I am sure Etchens has used guns but, check their website and then your budget

I would call PG to confirm but, I do not believe PG has “used guns for sale” (PG does have a bulletin board with used guns for sale index cards etc thumb tacked onto it - I’ve scored some sweet deals off that board (and let one get away … :-/

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Check Angler's in Annapolis/Cape St. Claire. They have a selection of consignment guns. No telling if they have any O/U's at the moment. You can sometimes negotiate those prices depending if the consignee left any room to play.
    Thanks!

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    OP is looking for a place to Buy A Used o/u …

OP, I am sure Etchens has used guns but, check their website and then your budget

I would call PG to confirm but, I do not believe PG has “used guns for sale” (PG does have a bulletin board with used guns for sale index cards etc thumb tacked onto it - I’ve scored some sweet deals off that board (and let one get away … :-/
    Thanks !

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I was in Shyda's about 2 weeks ago and they had a beautiful Browning 725 on the rack for about $2300ish? Maybe? I didn't look too hard because I wasn't in there to buy a gun - I went for reloading stuff - but they did have a few used guns on the rack and a bunch of new guns that a person could pick up and look at.

Regarding gun fit, I know that clay shooters make a really big deal out of that, but back in the day my Dad was winning trophies with a stock Winchester Model 12 with no rail.

Back to the topic at hand, one of the folks who comes up to the trap ranges at AGC just got a Mossberg International Gold Reserve Super Sport with all of the adjustments and bells and whistles. Interesting shotgun - lockup seems tight. The triggers are pretty heavy - like 7.5 lbs heavy - but otherwise it seems like a nice shotgun.

I've been shooting trap with a Browning Cynergy CX, and I bought it blind - seems to do ok for me. I've yet to break 25 straight, but that's not the gun. That's 100% me.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I was in Shyda's about 2 weeks ago and they had a beautiful Browning 725 on the rack for about $2300ish? Maybe? I didn't look too hard because I wasn't in there to buy a gun - I went for reloading stuff - but they did have a few used guns on the rack and a bunch of new guns that a person could pick up and look at.

Regarding gun fit, I know that clay shooters make a really big deal out of that, but back in the day my Dad was winning trophies with a stock Winchester Model 12 with no rail.

Back to the topic at hand, one of the folks who comes up to the trap ranges at AGC just got a Mossberg International Gold Reserve Super Sport with all of the adjustments and bells and whistles. Interesting shotgun - lockup seems tight. The triggers are pretty heavy - like 7.5 lbs heavy - but otherwise it seems like a nice shotgun.

I've been shooting trap with a Browning Cynergy CX, and I bought it blind - seems to do ok for me. I've yet to break 25 straight, but that's not the gun. That's 100% me.
    Hey great seeing you and your wife at the range today. Thanks for your help and encouragement!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hey great seeing you and your wife at the range today. Thanks for your help and encouragement!
    Absolutely! It was nice meeting a fellow MDS'er in person - I hope you find a great shotgun and that we see you out there some more!

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Thank you to everyone who offered advice regarding my purchase decision. I wanted to provide you all with an update on what I ended up buying. I visited Miller's Gun Center in New Castle, DE, where they have a fantastic selection of over/under shotguns and an incredibly helpful staff.

Initially, I was leaning towards purchasing the SKB 90-TSS Sporting priced at $1,850. However, I inquired about used Browning and Beretta shotguns, and it turned out they had a 25-year-old Browning GTI with a 28-inch barrel in stock. One of the staff members, who competes at championship level, provides lessons, and assists with shotgun sizing, helped me out. He had me mount the gun multiple times and analyzed my posture from various angles, concluding that the gun fit quite well, although a thorough evaluation on a patterning board would confirm this.

They advised me that the $1,450 pristine GTI was a superior choice compared to the SKB. Following their recommendation, I decided to go with the GTI. Additionally, I purchased two flats of shells for $86 each, tax-free.

Tomorrow, I plan to test the gun to ensure it functions properly. Thanks again for all your help and guidance.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom