• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    My reloading kit is somewhere between Midway and my house, so now I'm tracking down some components to get started with. I have been given a box of 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip hunting bullets (.308), so I started looking at my Lyman reloading manual for load data. The 165 grain bullet in the manual is a jacketed partition bullet, while I have the ballistic tip bullets.

So the question is: is the load data for all bullets of the same weight and caliber identical, or does the type of bullet (e.g ballistic tip, hollow point, etc.) play a role too?

I checked out the data on Nosler's website, and it appears to be similar, but not identical, to the 165 grain bullet in my manual. I would rather use the manual because it publishes 16 different powders as opposed to the four listed by Nosler, but I know that being even a grain or two off can be dangerous.

Thanks,
    Chris

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The shape, or more importantly the length of the bullet is very important, as a bullet that is longer than the recipe calls for would seat deeper in the case leaving less volume for air and powder which will increase the pressure. Some bullets also work better or worse at slightly different velocities and pressures, where safety may not be an issue, but accuracy could be. Every single dimention of the bullet and case, powder type, lot and density, ambient temp, chamber dimentions, seating depth/OAL, freebore, and many other factors will change pressure and what the max "safe" load is, along with velocity and accuracy. Because of all the variables, the load data will either vary from book to book, or the data may be copied from one source to another, and it is identical. I tend to trust the powder company
    s data first(Hodgdon, alliant, etc), using the exact bullet in the recipe, bullet manufacturers second(Hornady, Speer, etc), and reloading co(Lyman, Lee etc) third. When in doubt go with the lighter load, and always work up the load, and stop when you get to the best accuracy, published max, or max velocity. With testing loads, you really need a chronograph, that is the only way you can really correlate how close to max you are, and know when a load doesn't perform as advertised. The velocity will help you develop a trajectory and holdover chart, and the Standard deviation, max spread and average velocity all help to determine how consistent the load is, the consistency of components, and your reloading practices.

As far as Nosler Ballistic tip in a 308 goes, I have had good luck with Hodgdon varget in the caliber with most all bullets 160gr and up, and in rifles with barrels from 16"-26". There are a couple powders that may shoot as good, and lots that aren't as good, It's a load that I use often when match bullets aren't available.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I took your advice and checked out the load data published by the powder companies. It looks like Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester all use the same "cartridge reloading data center". When I search for loads for 165 grain .308 bullets, it appears that the data is all for 165 grain Hornady spitzer points (assuming that's what HDY SP means). Does that mean that I'm limited to the four powders listed on Nosler's website? I was planning on trying the Varget since I have heard a lot of success stories with that, but if Nosler's data is it, I'm going to have to go with either IMR 4064 or 4895.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    If I may ask a Bolt gun or M1A, or other semi? IMR4895,IMR4064 are good all round powders for this as well as Varget..there have been stories going around about it being sensitive to temperate changes..some say no some say yes. Another is IMR8208 which works well in the .223 and .308 and some say is the all round powder also. PowderValley had 8lb kegs, they did have / had 1lb canisters, I looked for it at the Gun Show but no go.AS far as bullet types mainly the amount of contact area the bullet has with the bore, rifling, and the over all shape..length..If you want to use a load of the same bullet weight I would reduce and work up to a load that doesn't show signs of pressure as well as being accurate in your gun.

You may also want to check here:
    http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/d...er&Weight=All&type=Rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

-Rock

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Not an expert.. But just heard today that varget suppose to handle more wider temp range.. (?) from a guy that have been reloading for years..

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Not an expert.. But just heard today that varget suppose to handle more wider temp range.. (?) from a guy that have been reloading for years..

Yeah I have heard that also..another place I frequent talks about it and had posted information (tests) that he had done with it..chrono, pressures, group sizes..etc. When I get the "time" I will post my loads with IMR8208 in .308 / .223 once I finish shooting them...in both bolt guns and Semi Auto.. found some loads for the M14/M1A with 8208 at that the same place as above..

-Rock

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I will be shooting with a savage bolt action.

I guess I will try to hunt down some IMR4064 or IMR4895 and go from there.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I will be shooting with a savage bolt action.

I guess I will try to hunt down some IMR4064 or IMR4895 and go from there.

I appreciate everyone's help.

If you are only going to load 308.. IMR4895 and 4064 are a good choice.. you can also use Varget. If you are going to load .223 also.. my opinion is to drop the 4064..and go with the other 2. You will probably be able to find 4895 or 4064 quicker than Varget...I know some shops have Varget now but sells out quickly. I have some loads that shot great in my tac gun. I will post them when I get home...and enjoy...have fun..

-Rock

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    Look for some loads using "Unique". I use it in my Remington 03-A3 with good results. Lots of useful load data also available on castboolits.gunloads.com. (I'm a member of both, cause no one site can have all the answers). Right now I'm shooting 147 gr steel core bullets with 11.2 grains of Unique. (Yeah, I know, who would use a pistol powder in a rifle? How bout simple conservation... 11 grains vs 42 grains. Looks like a few more loads to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom