• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Where do I get a load of fill dirt to finish the backstop of the range on my property? I'm in Port Deposit/Perryville area.

Unfortunately I don't have a running truck so it'd have to be delivered. :(

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Where do I get a load of fill dirt to finish the backstop of the range on my property? I'm in Port Deposit/Perryville area.

Unfortunately I don't have a running truck so it'd have to be delivered. :(

Vannoys on 40. That'll be the quickest, maybe not the cheapest. Just tell them you want select fill or, whatever they have that is clean. No point in buying sifted topsoil ($$)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Or, I'll GIVE you 20 tons used blast material (crushed/recycled glass). It would have some debris, not much though, mainly appears like any common sand you would see.

I have a guy that can haul it, $90 bucks an hour though, my shop is over by the quarry on Stevenson Road, can't be more than 10-12 miles from you. If you want it, I can shoot you his number, he hauls 5 days a week from the quarry, has no problem having me load him up at my place.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Its sand for all intents, if I didn't tell people it was a pile of glass they'd never ever know the difference. We can shoot into a while and see what you think. :D

It's what glass essentially is anyway, silica sand without the free silica.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Its sand for all intents, if I didn't tell people it was a pile of glass they'd never ever know the difference. We can shoot into a while and see what you think. :D

It's what glass essentially is anyway, silica sand without the free silica.

Sure dude, I'm game.

I just sent you a PM. If it works, that's awesome.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    PM replied to, no sense in paying for.....earth. This stuff is real dense, about 100lbs per cubic foot.

http://www.newageblastmedia.com/~backup/blast_media_grit_sizes_data.html

My company is featured in the "Success Stories" section on that page, pretty decent sized towboat we did for Wilmington Tug many moons ago.

Anyway, I go through about 120,000 lbs of this a year, we are a "one and done" blast shop, it's not worth the time to attempt to re-classify and de-junk the media, we just scoop it up and dump it in a pile.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Hrm, after looking at the specs, it should do a pretty good job at stopping bullets.

I'll stop by and take a look, then figure out how much I'll need. I really appreciate it. I just moved in, and have no idea how much I'll need.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    A lot..... I have probably over 50 tons in one pile right now,..... you're gonna need a lot. :cool:

Once moist this stuff is miserable heavy, like digging in the sand on the beach at the waters edge.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    No sweat, we're constantly making more! Was over there till 9:30 last night helping my guy finish up, it'll be there if/when you need it.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    No sweat, we're constantly making more! Was over there till 9:30 last night helping my guy finish up, it'll be there if/when you need it.

Who's blasting equipment do you use ? I work for a manufacture of blast, dust collection and media recycling equipment in middle river :D

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I have an Empire 650 pot with pneumatic deadman, Torit Downflo collector. Been running the same stuff for just over 10 years with no real major breakdowns. 98% of my work has been in our blast room though, that helps to keep things from getting banged up moving around. I looked into media recovery very early on, wanted to do a floor recover system, but, time and (mostly) money constraints have stopped that from happening. Plus, I pay $.06 per lb for media, "one and done" has been pretty profitable considering what our main customers are having us blast.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd still like to have a venturi powered clean up vac. We can run 3 tons a day if we get moving good on something. My room is smallish (12x18), it's a chore to get it all cleaned put on the sides and all.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    PM replied to, no sense in paying for.....earth. This stuff is real dense, about 100lbs per cubic foot.

http://www.newageblastmedia.com/~backup/blast_media_grit_sizes_data.html

My company is featured in the "Success Stories" section on that page, pretty decent sized towboat we did for Wilmington Tug many moons ago.

Anyway, I go through about 120,000 lbs of this a year, we are a "one and done" blast shop, it's not worth the time to attempt to re-classify and de-junk the media, we just scoop it up and dump it in a pile.

That boat cleaned right up. Only blasting I've done is with aluminum oxide stripping porcelain from gold, used walnut shell to blast plaster off acrylic and plain old play sand to blast investment off Gold. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom