• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    This wont pertain to most here but WV has a house bill that will allow loaded long gun carry in a vehicle. Its expected to pass as the current ban on loaded long gun carry is based off poaching laws.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Notwithstanding the inherent merits of 14 inch Shockwave and similar , the are legally a handgun in Maryland , a " regular " M500 is not, it is a shotgun . For that matter , the traditional PGO shotgun like device with 18- 20 in bbl is an Other , but not a Handgun .

Advantages & Disadvantages :

For W&C Holders , advantage to Shockwave , it can be carried loaded , and readily accessible .

For non W&C Holders , a shockwave is at disadvantage , being subject to same parameters as transporting a handgun .

For non W&C Holders , unloaded PGO with 18 inch bbl , with shells on sidesadle or otherwise adjacent is A sweet spot of relatively compact , relatively accessible , relatively potent .

Yes , PGO smoothbore shotgun like devices positively suck compared to real shotguns with buttstocks .

The actual Shockwave grip , aka Witness Protection grip , aka Birdshead grip sucks much less than the old school shotgun Pistol Grips . With proper techniques , the SW type is actually marginally usable.

But we're talking the fine print of Maryland statutes , not a clean sheet discussion of defensive tools .

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The plan: swap the new Benelli Nova Tact which is 40” overall for my ancient del SP 870 folding stock 12ga. and tuck it back in the trunk unloaded. 00s nearby. The benelli is too long to hide width wise in the back of the trunk even though it's a very large trunk. No doubt in a year I’ll look for it in the house and wonder where it went. Thanks for all who chipped in.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Notwithstanding the inherent merits of 14 inch Shockwave and similar , the are legally a handgun in Maryland , a " regular " M500 is not, it is a shotgun . For that matter , the traditional PGO shotgun like device with 18- 20 in bbl is an Other , but not a Handgun .

Advantages & Disadvantages :

For W&C Holders , advantage to Shockwave , it can be carried loaded , and readily accessible .

For non W&C Holders , a shockwave is at disadvantage , being subject to same parameters as transporting a handgun .

For non W&C Holders , unloaded PGO with 18 inch bbl , with shells on sidesadle or otherwise adjacent is A sweet spot of relatively compact , relatively accessible , relatively potent .

Yes , PGO smoothbore shotgun like devices positively suck compared to real shotguns with buttstocks .

The actual Shockwave grip , aka Witness Protection grip , aka Birdshead grip sucks much less than the old school shotgun Pistol Grips . With proper techniques , the SW type is actually marginally usable.

But we're talking the fine print of Maryland statutes , not a clean sheet discussion of defensive tools .

OP needs to try out my Shockwave. It’s become my main CCW.

Attachments

• 700626C8-75A4-4FAC-8ABA-DE3841D3C32C.jpg
      700626C8-75A4-4FAC-8ABA-DE3841D3C32C.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 250

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Maybe an AR pistol? Put a folder on it and it disappears.

Attachments

• 9F5CCA08-C87C-43ED-B8AE-99B57FDB64A2.jpg
      9F5CCA08-C87C-43ED-B8AE-99B57FDB64A2.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 241

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Jon, how do you carry that shockwave as a ccw. Sling under a trench coat? Steve McQueen, wanted dead or alive? Under a car seat? Its a real disadvantage at times not to drive in the city with a pistol under your thigh (uncomfortable to shift std transmission though) but getting stopped by a traffic cop at 10 pm with a gun visible in the cabin is probably far, far more dangerous to the driver than the risk of robbery downtown, mt vernon, on fayette street or the N-S streets into fells pt/canton.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Jon, how do you carry that shockwave as a ccw. Sling under a trench coat? Steve McQueen, wanted dead or alive? Under a car seat? Its a real disadvantage at times not to drive in the city with a pistol under your thigh (uncomfortable to shift std transmission though) but getting stopped by a traffic cop at 10 pm with a gun visible in the cabin is probably far, far more dangerous to the driver than the risk of robbery downtown, mt vernon, on fayette street or the N-S streets into fells pt/canton.

I’m a big guy. I can carry it at 2 and not arouse any suspicions. The woman breaking their necks isn’t optimal but I’m not arousing their suspicions ;)

For me I sometimes place in door pocket if I want readily accessible. Some mount in other readily available places in their cars.

Worst case you end up in front of city judge, I have a feeling your sentence would be very lenient.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I’m a big guy. I can carry it at 2 and not arouse any suspicions. The woman breaking their necks isn’t optimal but I’m not arousing their suspicions ;)

For me I sometimes place in door pocket if I want readily accessible. Some mount in other readily available places in their cars.

Worst case you end up in front of city judge, I have a feeling your sentence would be very lenient.

That’s a lot of carry. OWB?

flhspete

Feb 20, 2021
    guns... vehicles

ccw permit or not...
    keep long gun in a case separate from ammo. ammo also in a case/bag....
    numerous firearms laws in MD are vague and can be interpreted in different ways. to remain safe and within laws, just put long gun in a separate case from the ammo. and put the ammo in a different location in vehicle from the gun.
    if you need it in a hurry, it don't take long to put it into service.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    ccw permit or not...
    numerous firearms laws in MD are vague and can be interpreted in different ways. to remain safe and within laws, just put long gun in a separate case from the ammo. and put the ammo in a different location in vehicle from the gun.

There is no requirement to keep ammo in a separate case from the firearm.
    Transporting loaded magazines in the same case is fine as well.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    ccw permit or not...

Spoken like someone who has either never tried it or got lucky. In the right circumstance you'll be dead before you even get out of the vehicle to go to your trunk.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Spoken like someone who has either never tried it or got lucky. In the right circumstance you'll be dead before you even get out of the vehicle to go to your trunk.

You obviously never used a Maglula loader. I keep my ammo in a case, mags in wrapper. I can open up the case, open up a box, unwrap a mag and have 30 rounds loaded in about 3 minutes flat.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    ccw permit or not...

Spoken like someone with an extreme case of BGOS and has no clue about Maryland firearms laws.

There is no requirement in state statute for the ammo to be separate from the firearm. Likewise, it is perfectly legal (per the AGs office) that magazines can be loaded and in the same case as the firearm.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    You obviously never used a Maglula loader. I keep my ammo in a case, mags in wrapper. I can open up the case, open up a box, unwrap a mag and have 30 rounds loaded in about 3 minutes flat.

3 minutes is way too long in the right situation. Go back a few pages and see my post about where my patrol rifle sits and why. (I train people in this stuff all the time and I'm not trying to be the cool guy here. What we learned, we learned the hard way)

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    There is no requirement to keep ammo in a separate case from the firearm.
    Transporting loaded magazines in the same case is fine as well.

This is true.

I hate the rumor that "ammo and guns have to be transported separately". It has become so prevalent that a majority of the LEOs Ive talked to believe it to be true and expressed that they would cite/arrest someone who transported them together, despite there being no law dictating this.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    3 minutes is way too long in the right situation. Go back a few pages and see my post about where my patrol rifle sits and why. (I train people in this stuff all the time and I'm not trying to be the cool guy here. What we learned, we learned the hard way)

Is your patrol rifle loaded?

It appears that the law that everyone cites as prohibiting loaded long guns in vehicles is the DNR law. There is an exception as provided for the handgun permit law. This seems to ok carrying a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

I don’t see an exception given for any type of loaded long arms.

I always assumed the police riding around with rifles or shotguns had them loaded. Is there some other law that allows this to happen?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

Ok…

Attachments

• 80592992-F36A-43A0-ACF6-494B1585C09B.jpeg
      80592992-F36A-43A0-ACF6-494B1585C09B.jpeg
      11.6 KB · Views: 164

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica