• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Have you taken a moment to ask why they have the rules they have?

I sometimes may, but it really doesn't matter. They have the right to make their rules whether those rules are within the guidelines of the law or just being extra cautious--it's their shop. I just may exercise my right to do business with a shop who isn't 'extra cautious' or puts additional burdens on gun buyers/consumers, not required by law, as I feel we have enough on us already

Educating versus enabling.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I was not trying to be flippant and I realize that might have come across as such.

I was having a conversation with the owner of my boat yard one time and asked him about some policy that seemed silly to me. He said it was an insurance requirement and he could do away with it, but his insurance would double. This was something that seemed, well, almost silly.

I would think that might be a reason that a lot of fun stores have this requirement, but who knows.

damionkarp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 9, 2012
    Well let's see if the speed limit is 55, isn't it better to go 45?

As stated, laws are not relative. Things are legal or they are not. You get no extra points for doing more.

geez.

Laws are not flexable! Your logic is flawed because you create a new problem and break another law with your example. What I do, although more than the law requires, creates no new issues or breaks any other laws. Geez!

damionkarp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 9, 2012
    You are either following the law or not. There is no minimum or maximum.

What is truly sad, paid professionals who are supposed to uphold the law does not know it.

Sure there is a minimum or the maximum. Lets say a law says you must lock a firearm in a safe. Placing a firearm in the safe and locking the safe would be the bare minimum of locked and secured firearm. Now if you place a trigger lock on the firearm, then place the firearm in a safe and lock the safe, have you not gone above the minimum of what the law says? Why would you go above the minimum of what that law calls for? Maybe you have a kid in the house who knows how to open the safe and comes across the firearm. The firearm is still harmless unless the kid can remove the trigger lock.

damionkarp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 9, 2012
    everyone knows 45 is more legal than 55

No, going 10MPH under the speed limit is illegal in Maryland unless weather or traffic dictates it is safer to reduce your speed. Unfortuneatly, this law is seldom enforced. The same as those who ride in the left lane instead of passing and moving back to the right lane.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    No, going 10MPH under the speed limit is illegal in Maryland unless weather or traffic dictates it is safer to reduce your speed. Unfortuneatly, this law is seldom enforced. The same as those who ride in the left lane instead of passing and moving back to the right lane.

Just curious...

How long have you lived here?

My best recollection (and, as always, I'm willing to be corrected by proper authority) from nearly 35 years behind the wheel in this state is:

In Maryland, 10 MPH under is ONLY an issue by law if it is impeding the flow/safety of other traffic. Ironically, as I understand it, if you're going (just an example) 5 OVER, you can be cited for the same situation, if the prevailing flow is 10 over (and you have a tightass LEO pulling you over).

As for the passing situation... Maryland is a rarity in that there is no limitation requiring left-lane-only passing (although there are posted zones for slower traffic to keep right).

But, oddly, this does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to answer the OP's question (which has long since been taken care of).

I, also, often use FOPA guidelines while traveling to/from within MD... but it's hardly necessary, and I certainly don't want a gold star for it..

damionkarp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 9, 2012
    Just curious...

How long have you lived here?

My best recollection (and, as always, I'm willing to be corrected by proper authority) from nearly 35 years behind the wheel in this state is:

In Maryland, 10 MPH under is ONLY an issue by law if it is impeding the flow/safety of other traffic. Ironically, as I understand it, if you're going (just an example) 5 OVER, you can be cited for the same situation, if the prevailing flow is 10 over (and you have a tightass LEO pulling you over).

As for the passing situation... Maryland is a rarity in that there is no limitation requiring left-lane-only passing (although there are posted zones for slower traffic to keep right).

But, oddly, this does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to answer the OP's question (which has long since been taken care of).

I, also, often use FOPA guidelines while traveling to/from within MD... but it's hardly necessary, and I certainly don't want a gold star for it..

I've lived here in Maryland for all my 42 years. I've been a Commercial Truck Driver for over 15 years. It is against the law in Maryland to occupy the left lane except for passing. It is not enforced. Impeding the flow of traffic is very seldom enforced as well. I also never asked for or expect a gold star.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The point is from a legal standpoint a that doing something more in addition above the legal requirement of the law doesn't make you "more legal." Safer? maybe, but not more legal.

Of course you can travel within MD in accordance with FOPA. But saying you must saying you must do it is just not the case, specifically the ammo cites given by some.

And if I'm 9 miles under the speed limit, does that make it "more legal?" Hardly in my view.

If you don't leave MD. MD 4-203 is what is applicable.

What I do, although more than the law requires, creates no new issues or breaks any other laws.
    No one said it did, it just isn't "more legal."

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    I've lived here in Maryland for all my 42 years. I've been a Commercial Truck Driver for over 15 years. It is against the law in Maryland to occupy the left lane except for passing. It is not enforced. Impeding the flow of traffic is very seldom enforced as well. I also never asked for or expect a gold star.

The only time it's illegal to be in the left lane is if one is traveling 10mph under the speed limit. MD does not have a keep right law, and if you think it does I'd like to see the text of it.

You may be confusing the prohibition on driving left of center with driving in the left lane.

TRANSPORTATION
    TITLE 21. VEHICLE LAWS -- RULES OF THE ROAD
    SUBTITLE 3. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY; OVERTAKING AND PASSING; USE OF ROADWAY

Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-301 (2012)

§ 21-301. Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions

(a) General rule. -- On every roadway that is wide enough, a vehicle shall be driven on the right half of the roadway, except:

(1) While overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction, under the rules governing this movement;

(2) Where there is an obstruction that makes it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway, but the driver of any vehicle doing so shall yield the right-of-way to any other vehicle that is traveling in the proper direction on the unobstructed part of the highway and is so near as to be an immediate danger;

(3) On a roadway that is divided into three or more clearly marked lanes for vehicular traffic, subject to the rules applicable to these roadways;

(4) On a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic; or

(5) On a roadway that is marked or signposted in a manner indicating that a contrary rule exists.

(b) Special rule for slow-moving traffic. -- On every roadway, except while overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction or when preparing for a lawful left turn, any vehicle going 10 miles an hour or more below the applicable maximum speed limit or, if any existing conditions reasonably require a speed below that of the applicable maximum, at less than the normal speed of traffic under these conditions, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(c) Roadway with four or more lanes and two-way movement of traffic. --

(1) On any roadway that is divided into four or more clearly marked lanes for vehicular traffic and that provides for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle may not be driven on the left of the centerline of the roadway, except:

(i) Where authorized by a traffic control device designating a lane to the left of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use this lane; or

(ii) As permitted under subsection (a) (2) of this section.

(2) This subsection does not prohibit the crossing of the centerline of a roadway while making a left turn into or from an alley or a private road or driveway.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The only time it's illegal to be in the left lane is if one is traveling 10mph under the speed limit. MD does not have a keep right law, and if you think it does I'd like to see the text of it.

You may be confusing the prohibition on driving left of center with driving in the left lane.

Note: damionkarp is banned.

jehu

May 23, 2005
    Yeah from what I understand, that is for when you are traveling thru a jurisdiction that prohibits the transport of firearms, while you engaged in interstate travel, and when you are allowed to have firearms in both the origin and destination of your trip. So if you are traveling through out of state county x or state y that does not allow firearms, you must have everything locked up and out of reach, etc. In Maryland it will not apply. If you are traveling to Vermont and are going through Massachusetts you better have everything locked up and out of reach, while traveling through Massachusetts.

There is no law in Maryland not allowing you to have a magazine loaded with rounds or requiring the firearm to be out of reach, therefore it is legal.

Wrong! If you look in the Maryland Guide for hunting & Trapping under General Hunting Regulations you will see that it is unlawfull to have a loaded firearm in or leaning against a vehicle including a loaded magizine. This may or maynot be pertient to this discussion but it is a Maryland law.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Wrong! If you look in the Maryland Guide for hunting & Trapping under General Hunting Regulations you will see that it is unlawfull to have a loaded firearm in or leaning against a vehicle including a loaded magizine. This may or maynot be pertient to this discussion but it is a Maryland law.

Not quite.

"Have a loaded firearm in, on, or leaning against any vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine or a muzzleloader ready to fire."

So, if a magazine is in the firearm, they consider it loaded even if a round is not in the chamber. It does not refer to "a" magazine it refers to "the" magazine.
    IANAL, but it seems clear to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom