• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Can't find a lot. Anyone have good recipes they'd care to share?

The ss109 are longer than other 62gr projectiles, because the mild steel weighs less than lead.

When faced with a projcetile that has little load data associated with it, you can usually start with load data from a heavier projectile, in this case 65 or 69gr, and work your way up looking for pressure signs/accuracy (and velocity if you have a chrono). The ss109 will be closer in length (bearing surface) to those heavier projectiles, and powder charge goes down amd projectile weight goes up, so the loads for 65 and 69 gr should be safely under max for the ss109.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    As DA mentions, extruded powders can indeed involve metering challenges in some measures. Might want to take that variable out of play as a new loader dedicated to one cartridge. IMR 4064 (like IMR 3031 as mentioned) also falls into the extruded powder category.

H335 and W748 are both ball powders, rather than extruded (aka stick) powders. Neither of these will present the potential for metering problems. They both meter very well. H335 especially is widely acknowledged as being an excellent powder in .223 Remington. Both powders would be good choices to try IMO.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Thanks for all the good advice. These will be the first boolits I load. I'll let the wife fire them and I'll watch from a safe distance.

Doc, id start with something else other than ss109. They arent the most accurate projectile to begin with, even worse if they are seconds or pulls.

A decent 55gr bullet (i really like hornady sp) will really show off the benefits of reloading and load development when you fire your ladder test. While the ss109 may just demonstrate a whole bunch of meh.

If you're itching to load, i have a selection of projectiles you can chose from.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Doc, id start with something else other than ss109. They arent the most accurate projectile to begin with, even worse if they are seconds or pulls. A decent 55gr bullet (i really like hornady sp) will really show off the benefits of reloading and load development when you fire your ladder test. While the ss109 may just demonstrate a whole bunch of meh. If you're itching to load, i have a selection of projectiles you can chose from.

I'm loading a bunch to stockpile. They are new manufacture. Mostly will be loading 55gr.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Doc, id start with something else other than ss109. They arent the most accurate projectile to begin with, even worse if they are seconds or pulls.

A decent 55gr bullet (i really like hornady sp) will really show off the benefits of reloading and load development when you fire your ladder test. While the ss109 may just demonstrate a whole bunch of meh.

If you're itching to load, i have a selection of projectiles you can chose from.

I've always heard this, I disagree. Read post #2

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm loading a bunch to stockpile. They are new manufacture. Mostly will be loading 55gr.

If you're doing 55 grain Doc don't over look IMR 8208XBR, I've found it to be an excellent propellant for 223/5.56 with anything Hornady, Remington or unknown bulk in 55 grain. 23.4 grains is my sweet spot.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you're doing 55 grain Doc don't over look IMR 8208XBR, I've found it to be an excellent propellant for 223/5.56 with anything Hornady, Remington or unknown bulk in 55 grain. 23.4 grains is my sweet spot.

Thanks! I want to start with known recipes and then maybe play. I got into reloading for bulk plinking ammo.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks! I want to start with known recipes and then maybe play. I got into reloading for bulk plinking ammo.

I ran onto that powder during the shortage/scare, I could find it in a couple different places, it worked for me so I've just stuck with it. One big ragged hole @100 yards from several different 16 inch 1:9 twist barrels.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I've got a lot of brass and projectiles, so should be a one trick pony for now.

I have loaded SS109 bullets per data hodgdonreloading website. Found this too light.
    https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=244607

I've used BLC2 26 grains in both 55 gr and 62 gr bullet. I've used H-335 25 gr in both 55 gr and 62 gr bullets. Fired more than several hundred with no sign of high pressure in 2 5.56 guns. NOT remington 223 chambered.

Edit: Use of mostly once fired LC brass from amazon or ebay.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have loaded SS109 bullets per data hodgdonreloading website. Found this too light. https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=244607 I've used BLC2 26 grains in both 55 gr and 62 gr bullet. I've used H-335 25 gr in both 55 gr and 62 gr bullets. Fired more than several hundred with no sign of high pressure in 2 5.56 guns. NOT remington 223 chambered. Edit: Use of mostly once fired LC brass from amazon or ebay.

Thanks. Cabela's was out of a lot of stuff. I got BLC2. I, too am using once fired LC. Got it on etsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom