• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    One question is did he get his rifle back?

Why would you use such a rifle just to prove a point it might take quite a while to get it back even after litigation....

While I respect his right, that in no way means I have to agree with his choices and the way he expresses that right. I think there are idiots on both sides of the equation. There are ways of going about it, if you need to take it out to the gun shop thats in walking distance, or want to go over to your buddies house and dont feel like driving, or if you really do just want to have it for ______ reason etc... but to go out and look to get wrongfully arrested and having the intent to bait the cops into arresting you.... IDK I think that is stupid.

I dont know the particulars and did not witness what happened and do not know if that was this kids intent.

Though I would bet that it is similar to other videos that I have seen that people are doing something similar just to try and see if the cops will arrest them. Then when the cops do show up they are not cordial and polite with their responses and clearly explain the situation to the officer that first arrives, they give some smartass answer or say something like "Just going for a walk" knowing full well the reason the police are asking.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    One question is did he get his rifle back?

Why would you use such a rifle just to prove a point it might take quite a while to get it back even after litigation....

While I respect his right, that in no way means I have to agree with his choices and the way he expresses that right. I think there are idiots on both sides of the equation. There are ways of going about it, if you need to take it out to the gun shop thats in walking distance, or want to go over to your buddies house and dont feel like driving, or if you really do just want to have it for ______ reason etc... but to go out and look to get wrongfully arrested and having the intent to bait the cops into arresting you.... IDK I think that is stupid.

I dont know the particulars and did not witness what happened and do not know if that was this kids intent.

Though I would bet that it is similar to other videos that I have seen that people are doing something similar just to try and see if the cops will arrest them. Then when the cops do show up they are not cordial and polite with their responses and clearly explain the situation to the officer that first arrives, they give some smartass answer or say something like "Just going for a walk" knowing full well the reason the police are asking.

It's no different then the cops setting up a speed trap at the bottom of a hill just after the speed limit has decreased.

The fact that the cops added on additional charges to try and get something to stick is horrible.
    The fact that the DA decided to pursue this case is horrible.
    The fact that the judge didn't throw it out is horrible.
    The fact that this even went to a jury is horrible.

While I agree that "tempting" the cops isn't smart, the fact that cops are asking for ID when not required is unacceptable to me. Personally, if I am exercising my rights, not doing anything wrong and the police ask me for ID, it would piss me off a lot. Police know that I am under no obligation to provide an ID unless I am under arrest or doing something "suspicious" and in even asking the question, they are trying to take advantage of someone. Most people don't like standing up to police since the police routinely escalate and escalate quickly - so most people will show their ID just so they don't rock the boat and risk getting arrested.

A better question is if it is even possible to exercise your rights and not get cops who actively attempt to violate your rights and also get antagonistic?

So in this instance the police violated this guy's 4th amendment rights by arresting him for no reason and what does this guy get in return?

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    Wait....I thought it was decided that the police could ask you for identification and you must provide it. At least in some states, anyway. I've heard many people argue that if you have nothing to hide, then why get upset about it?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The kid must be a dick and just trying to be a 2A warrior hero so he could make the 6 o clock. How dare he treat the cops that illegally arrested him with the disrespect of not showing ID, and the two other bogus charges.:rolleyes:

Hey FOX 123, stop drinking the bgos coolaid that MD gives you for tax dollars every day.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The kid must be a dick and just trying to be a 2A warrior hero so he could make the 6 o clock. How dare he treat the cops that illegally arrested him with the disrespect of not showing ID, and the two other bogus charges. Come on out from under the rock and defend this one rd

Why taunt an individual? That is called TROLLING. You don't seem like a troll in the past. Maybe let sleeping dogs lie and not gum up another thread with cop vs anti cop ********. Just a thought.

As for this case, it's a win for the second amendment. I hope people learned from it. Carrying an M1 Garand when there are countless lighter options, is pure style points in my opinion. Good for the kid.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Why taunt an individual? That is called TROLLING. You don't seem like a troll in the past. Maybe let sleeping dogs lie and not gum up another thread with cop vs anti cop ********. Just a thought.

I get a little worked up I guess, edited.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If this thread keeps going the way it is, it will be soon gone.

Carry on.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    FWIW, I open carried an AR in a Wal Mart in Anchorage. Just to say I did...Well, I did. lol

I had no problems, but did get a few strange looks and a few nods. A guy I know up there slings his almost everywhere he goes. I have seen him pumping gas as I drove by and he was wearing it.

I think alot of this is based on the common perception where you live. Holy Crap, in MD what would have happened?

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I don't get bothered when the police in a video ask for ID. Nothing wrong with them asking. It's when whoever declines and they repeatedly keep hounding the person for it.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Thought about responding there, but its not quite worth my time and energy..

The police can stop and have a conversation with you at any time. During this conversation period you are free to talk as much or as little as you like and are free to go at any time.

Terry v. Ohio gives the police the authority to detain you if they have a reasonable suspicion that you may be connected to a crime or about to commit a crime. I am not aware of any federal law that says you must provide some form of documentation or verbal identification. There are some states that have laws that do require you to identify yourself, though I do not believe that MD is one of them.

Operation of a motor vehicle does carry the requirement that you produce a drivers license when asked.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    So, did I read correctly that the police didn't have the right to ask for his ID? When do the police have the right to ask for your ID?

NOT LEGAL ADVICE:

my understanding is, 1) in a traffic stop, 2) when you're arrested, or 3)if the state laws require that you identify yourself when asked by an LEO.

several have made good points. We should be able to exercise our rights, and we need not stir the hornet's nest.

there are times when:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n1BHJs5V5c&feature=colike

and times when not.

some parting "shots" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3Cqsp0Qe8&feature=colike

it's great to live in a "free country!" :party29:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is pointed on on another current thread. It was pointed out repeatedly by a Legandary Former Member. I've even periodically pointed myself.

All Constitutional Rights are Civil Rights. Yes also 2A Rights.

Methods and tactics historically used by ( commonly percieved , left wing ) Civil Rights Orgnizations are a legit tool in our quiver , and at certain points may be effective. Agruments made from C.R. Perspective , using C.R. Allagories and prespectives are True , Correct , and sometimes effective.

We can discuss the timing and momentary wisdom , but the legitamancy is without question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom