• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I could not believe the shots this guy was making. When I realised the 223 round was actually hitting the target, but was doing so in an arch, not straight on like I had been looking for. After I finally saw how much of an arch there was and the shooter was hitting the target, my thoughts were this shooter is very, very good. But my words aren't doing him justice, he's just that GOOD!

I wonder where he had training? Or is he just that good from hunting and shooting on his own? It is a great video to watch, and it's amazing to watch this guy.

I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of things with him shooting. This shooter has a ton of talent when it comes to putting his rounds where he wants them. Great shooting video.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I could not believe the shots this guy was making. When I realised the 223 round was actually hitting the target, but was doing so in an arch, not straight on like I had been looking for....
    Yes, the height of the arc required can be surprising, but it's quite routine to long range shooting.

For the example in the video, a .223/75 Hornady at 860 yards, we would dial the scope "up" by about 31 MOA from a 100 yard zero. At 860 yards, 31 moa is about 23 feet, so, in effect, he's aiming 23 feet above the target. The mid-range arc you're seeing the trace take at about 650 yards is about 18 moa above the target, which is about 10 feet.

A .308/175 MatchKing at 2,600 needs about 39 moa up from a 100 yard zero to be on at 1,000. 39 moa at 1k is 34 feet.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Yes, the height of the arc required can be surprising, but it's quite routine to long range shooting.

For the example in the video, a .223/75 Hornady at 860 yards, we would dial the scope "up" by about 31 MOA from a 100 yard zero. At 860 yards, 31 moa is about 23 feet, so, in effect, he's aiming 23 feet above the target. The mid-range arc you're seeing the trace take at about 650 yards is about 18 moa above the target, which is about 10 feet.

A .308/175 MatchKing at 2,600 needs about 39 moa up from a 100 yard zero to be on at 1,000. 39 moa at 1k is 34 feet.

Figured I would see you here. :D Good info.

Exploding Targets for long distance shooting

I have the site's owner's permission to do this so if you are looking for exploding targets http://www.sureshotexplodingtargets.com these prices are only good till christmas eve but I'm out till the 28TH. Place an order if you want the prices but you won't get them till th 28TH. I guess it's not that bad it's like buying something on the west coast and having it shipped.
    MDS213:D

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    ya know, i've asked several times about the legality of reactive targets, and nobody ever answers. so much for free flow of information, huh?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I just picked up a couple hundred of those 75 gr. Hornady HPBT's. Now I just gotta find somewhere with a long enough range to play with them.

Exploding Targets

Hey Guys,

The answer in detail is on the frostbite shoot but the short is buy,sell,posses..ok.
    Mix and shoot .. Not OK. But thatis 1 persons interpratation of the la and my guy in the ATF is looking into it for me. I have a store selling exploding targets dd214 OKed it www.sureshotexplodingtargets.com If you are interested in my items and are willing to drive half way I will drive half way so you don't have to pay shipping! Like my store? Hate my store? Have suggestions other than "add video" because I'm working on it, please post it on my store It is appreciated!!

Thanks, MDS213

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom