• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Mark III 22/45 Lite. Love it. Very well balanced with a suppressor, if that is on your radar.

ted70

Jun 5, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    I have a GSG 1911-22 and Ruger MKII like em both..However the Ruger is a much better built gun. Never had problem with the GSG, it's just not on par with the Ruger quality.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Browning Medalist
    S&W 617
    AAC G21 .22LR conversion

All are fun and great shooters but the Medalist is my pride and joy.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    M&P 22. Why buy a gun that by almost all accounts is a PITA to strip/clean? M&P has great grip, eats anything, is accurate, and is easy to strip/assemble.

It is great for plinking/punching paper for fun. BUT if I were using it for competition I might consider a pistol designed from the ground up as a match pistol, several of which are mentioned in the previous posts.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Ruger Mk III 22/45. It is dollar for dollar the best 22 auto available. With a Volquartsen Accuracy Group, the trigger is superb.(~$100 but you don't really need it). The Ruger Mk III eats any .22LR ammo available.
    A major complaint is that it is difficult to take down for cleaning (and reassemble), but if you consult the manual every time initially, it becomes easier.
    I have a Mod 41 Smith and a Hammerli TrailsideX Esse both of which are nice but ammunition sensitive. I also have a Browning Hunter which has thus far failed to measure up (I just ordered some extra magazines). The last Medalist I saw was about $1400, and that was some years ago.
    The S&W DA revolvers are running $700+ and the Ruger DA revolvers are $600+, even the Tauruses (?Tauri) DAs are $500+. You can get a single action revolver for less than the 22/45.
    DocAitch

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I have the following 22LR pistols and love 'em all:

Ruger Mk III Competition Target. Dead accurate with open sights. Add a rail and a red dot and you are in for some real range fun. All the bad press about breaking them down is sort of ridiculous to me. Practice breaking it down and you'll be doing it in your sleep. You make the job a lot easier if you leave the bolt in the barrel to remove the barrel from the grip frame. On reassembly, put the bolt into the barrel before you snap the barrel on the grip frame. Piece of cake.

Beretta U22 Neos. An inexpensive, nice little pistol. It has a smallish grip and shorter LOP, so that makes it perfect for young shooters or adults with smaller hands. Very accurate. Has an integrated rail on top for any red dot or scope. A fun shooter. When cleaning it, don't pull the trigger with the barrel & slide off the grip frame because you'll launch the striker and striker spring across the room.

Ruger SR22. This pistol is a SA/DA semi auto that has never choked or failed, even with the cheap Rem GB and Win Thunderbolt ammo. That stuff shoots really dirty and the little SR22 keeps on chugging 'em. It has fully-adjustable rear sight (elev & windage) and is a joy to shoot. Comes with two grip sizes which makes it easy to fit the pistol to the shooter. :)

Looky here: http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2447&catid=member&imageuser=14645

Last edited:

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I like my SR22 - it isn't a target pistol - but it is a really fun little gun. It always makes me grin. Eats anything and is incredibly easy to clean.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I love my browning buckmark. The thing is stupid accurate and much easier to break down and clean then a Ruger.

Don't mess around with that Ruger junk.

Get yourself a Browning BuckMark.

/thread

There are a few Buck Mark fans here, but Buck Mark usually gets more support than this... because it deserves it. Very accurate and very reliable.

I won't knock the Ruger because I'm not familiar with it.

BTW, this topic comes up occasionally...
    http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001327...en#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=best 22 handgun&gsc.page=1

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Rent a Ruger and a Buckmark. You will buy the Buckmark. The feel and especially the trigger cannot be beat.

Oh yeah. That's out of the box. No need for mods like the Rugers.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ruger Mk III 22/45. It is dollar for dollar the best 22 auto available. With a Volquartsen Accuracy Group, the trigger is superb.(~$100 but you don't really need it). The Ruger Mk III eats any .22LR ammo available.
    A major complaint is that it is difficult to take down for cleaning (and reassemble), but if you consult the manual every time initially, it becomes easier.
    I have a Mod 41 Smith and a Hammerli TrailsideX Esse both of which are nice but ammunition sensitive. I also have a Browning Hunter which has thus far failed to measure up (I just ordered some extra magazines). The last Medalist I saw was about $1400, and that was some years ago.
    The S&W DA revolvers are running $700+ and the Ruger DA revolvers are $600+, even the Tauruses (?Tauri) DAs are $500+. You can get a single action revolver for less than the 22/45.
    DocAitch
    You can build an equal or better Browning without having to spend all the extra money from my buddy Scott at VQ. A Heggis flip of the sear spring will save you $200 of those VQ dollars and give you a 2-2.5# trigger. Already has better safety, mag release, and slide release than the Rugers. Just add the factory overtravel adjustable trigger and you are all set. Tac Sol barrel is optional and does not require an FFL like the Ruger does. And I have owned Rugers before also, along with S&Ws. If I wanted to shoot bullseye I would leap over all these and buy a Pardini, but I shoot speed and action events.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Ill be that guy................but I love shooting my sig mosquito. Its been extremely reliable with all brands of ammo and is probably my favorite gun to shoot.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    With a well cleaned/lubed gun with the right mags and ammo; most any reputable .22LR will be reliable. Can't say enough great things about the mk3 lite; however, if you only want one - get a revolver. This way you won't have to worry about the biggest issues with a .22LR.

I'll recommend ...
    Ruger LCR. Unless you want to do some target shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom