• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    That gun looks pretty schweet. I was just on CZ's website and they discontinued the good looking stuff (IMO). I have a CZ750 and even though its 308 it is heavier and shoots really smooth. Love the gun.

I bought it just before I left MD and there's no place within reasonable distance that isn't privately owned and expensive worth shooting it down here. It isn't a 600 yard gun, it's a 1000-1850 yard gun. So it's an unfired safe queen.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My vote goes to 45-70...more than enough power, pretty common round, good options for platforms, and has a pretty smooth recoil (in my opinion, anyway)

Edit: easy to reload as well (straight wall case). So shooting more is cheaper. Also since theres almost n overbore pressure on the round the barrel life is excellent

Nice to see you posting again. BTW, the .458 WinMag is also a straight-wall cartridge. I found a video on YouTube on how to convert 300 WinMag brass to 458 brass. I have a lot of 300 WinMag brass, so I can spare 100 to convert.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The funny thing about .458 Win Mag is that the rifles are usually found for sale with a box of ammo....minus 1 round.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I bought it just before I left MD and there's no place within reasonable distance that isn't privately owned and expensive worth shooting it down here. It isn't a 600 yard gun, it's a 1000-1850 yard gun. So it's an unfired safe queen.

My 338 sees 500 and finally shot at 650 last week. Would have gone further if it wasn't so dag on hot out and vapor was more than intense. Slowly getting to 1000y. I am happy that practice has been paying off. At Delmarva I rang a 4" gong at the 500 with a lot of heat vapor blurring the target. 338 is one of my favorite cartridges. Wouldn't mind finding another one day. I do love the look of yours.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Vapor= mirage. We (competition long range shooters) use it to read the wind. A boil is no wind, etc.

OP, if you want big try 458 Lott. You can shoot the lighter 458 win mag if you want too, as they both headspace off the belt.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Vapor= mirage. We (competition long range shooters) use it to read the wind. A boil is no wind, etc.

When you are seeing mirage, often you need to dial the zoom/magnification back it helps to clear things up.

Could be getting mirage from a hot barrel also, depending on how hot the barrel was. If you are serious about shooting longer ranges and lots of rounds down range, look into a mirage shield.

I use a thick window blind for mine with Velcro

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...y-make-a-mirage-shield-from-a-venetian-blind/

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    When you are seeing mirage, often you need to dial the zoom/magnification back it helps to clear things up.

Could be getting mirage from a hot barrel also, depending on how hot the barrel was. If you are serious about shooting longer ranges and lots of rounds down range, look into a mirage shield.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...y-make-a-mirage-shield-from-a-venetian-blind/

I dialed back to 12x at 650. When breeze picked up the mirage disappeared for a while then came back as the air went dead again. We could see the target silhouette, but shot impact not so much. Barrel was pretty cool too as I was splitting shooting time with the other shooter. Crazy enough is the sun would have the barrel hotter than the shots if left in the sun so kept it in the shade.. anyway, rambling over.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    You guys saying you can't find the Marlin 1895s, I know where a bunch are available. You'll have to have them shipped though.

1 1895G
    1 1895TSBL
    1 1895CR
    3 1895G
    3 1895GBL

All are .45-70. PM and I'll give you the contact info. No connection to the seller just a satisfied customer.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Nice to see you posting again. BTW, the .458 WinMag is also a straight-wall cartridge. I found a video on YouTube on how to convert 300 WinMag brass to 458 brass. I have a lot of 300 WinMag brass, so I can spare 100 to convert.

Thanks man, its been a good while lol. Nice to see some familiar names :)

And yea, pretty much any straight wall case big bore would be good to go, sounds like youre pretty good to roll with the 458 winmag.

Im waiting for the marlin 45-70 dark series to be in stock again...just...waiting..........

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Every couple years I think about getting a safari rifle that I will obviously never use on a safari. That said I have a thing for oiled walnut, big bores and multi-leaf iron sights.

I would go with the CZ its the closest thing you are going to get in a (sort of) non custom gun to what someone would have walked in and ordered for their cape buffalo hunt in the 1920s. A second choice would be to look for a Remington 798 in .375.

Your best bet would be to just be patient, watch stores and even gunbroker. A heavy safari rifle is something people often buy on a whim but use little, they pop up from time to time and generally not for what they were originally sold for as the market is limited. You can probably have a very nice lightly used CZ for a bargain, especially in a more common caliber like .375 H&H or .458 magnum.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Every couple years I think about getting a safari rifle that I will obviously never use on a safari. That said I have a thing for oiled walnut, big bores and multi-leaf iron sights.

I would go with the CZ its the closest thing you are going to get in a (sort of) non custom gun to what someone would have walked in and ordered for their cape buffalo hunt in the 1920s. A second choice would be to look for a Remington 798 in .375.

Your best bet would be to just be patient, watch stores and even gunbroker. A heavy safari rifle is something people often buy on a whim but use little, they pop up from time to time and generally not for what they were originally sold for as the market is limited. You can probably have a very nice lightly used CZ for a bargain, especially in a more common caliber like .375 H&H or .458 magnum.

The Safari Grade Brownings are things of beauty. I have a few. You will never lose money on those.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

Ah, my Kowa doesn’t zoom down nor take a mirage band. But a quarter turn will take it out of focus so you can see Mirage BETTER. :-p

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    Does it have to be a rifle?

Pack a 500 S&W Magnum with some Buffalo Bore 400g and sling lead at over 1700 fps... AND you can wear it on your belt! Although, I think there are some decent rifles too chambered for the 500 mag.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Pack a 500 S&W Magnum with some Buffalo Bore 400g and sling lead at over 1700 fps... AND you can wear it on your belt! Although, I think there are some decent rifles too chambered for the 500 mag.

375 H&H sends a 350 grain projectile downrange at 2300 FPS. 458 Win Mag will send 500 grains at nearly 2200 FPS. 1-1/2 to 2X the energy. Though the 500 S&W is pretty damned impressive.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I saw the Big Horn lever gun in 500, but it's $2300 and a long wait to get one. Maybe next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom