• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemedicdoc

Jul 26, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I've recently moved back to the area (northwest Baltimore County) and am looking for a range. Someplace with an annual membership is preferred, as I'd like to be able to shoot regularly.
    At present I own and shoot two handguns, so while I'm perfectly amenable to facilities capable of accommodating bow, riffle, etc., that isn't really necessary for me at this point.
    I am a female shooter, so if that's going to be an issue (or if the prevailing attitude is that of the "good ol' boy"), I'd prefer to be aware of that ahead of time. I'll happily spend my money and time elsewhere.
    Any recommendations would be most appreciated!

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    If you're in northwest Baltimore County, I'm guessing you're near Pikesville/Owings Mills. Try Hap Baker in Westminster, MD just up the pike.

silentj

Rather Be Shooting
    Jul 16, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I second Hap Baker. I believe they offer a yearly membership as well. Only downfall is that they are an outside facility and its get pretty freaking cold in the winter.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    NW Balto County....check out New Freedom PA, just across the Line.

Never been there, so can't really say...
    R

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Check out York IWLA. Lots of steel and action shooting.

http://www.yorkiwlaipsc.com/FunShoot.htm

These shoots are open to the public: you can go without being a member, in order to check the place out.

http://www.yorkiwlaipsc.com/USPSA.htm

http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

There are a number of clubs where you can shoot Steel, USPSA, or Cowboy Action without being a member. This is a good way to check out the clubs and meet people.

In addition to York IWLA, there are Steel matches at Delta (PA),
    http://www.dpfng.com/DpMain.aspx

and at Monocacy Pistol Club just east of Frederick.
    http://www.monocacypistolclub.org/

There is USPSA, IDPA, and Cowboy Action at Thurmont, north of Frederick.
    http://www.tcandsc.org/

Anne Arundel Fish and Game has Bullseye, IDPA, and Cowboy Action.
    http://aafg.org/disciplines.html

The Associated Gun Clubs has some Bullseye shooting, but virtually no Action shooting.
    http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

But if you're in Northern BaltCo, you might find York IWLA most convenient. Check out a Fun Shoot, and if you like the place, get a membership so you can use the facilities whenever you want.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    if you happy just shooting paper hap baker isnt bad. membership is pretty cheap $50 for in county or $85 out of county. pistol range goes out to about 15 yards i believe. most people shoot at 7 yards any farther out most days the targets become dynamic and catch the breeze unless you run it all the way out and let it rest on the backstop. during the week days its relatively empty most times i go its only 2 or 3 other people in the pistol bays, rifle lane usually stay pretty busy but they will rotate you in .

check out the competitive shooting sub forum as well and try and make some of the steel challenge shoots in the area if you never done it before . to me its alot more fun then poking holes in paper all day . or if you have the gear uspsa and idpa

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    First of all, welcome back, I guess. Not you, just being in Maryland. :sad20: If you are in NW Baltimore, I think the best choice is one of the AGC clubs and shooting at the Marriottsville range. I see more and more women shooting there, and I don't believe it to be a "good ol' boys" club. More men but thats the sport. AGC is nice, if you are doing hand gun and want to do rifle, ranges are side by side and everyone is exceptionally nice and helpful. Want to try trap? Great facility and again lots of helpful folks. The other perk is that range badges are 1/2 off now! So you could try AGC for like a discount to see if you want to invest fully next year.

If you do an indoor range you get only that. Good handgun shooting, poor rifle shooting. Plus the ventilation is better. Yeah it gets cold in the winter, but we don't have a lot of real winter anyway.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    I've recently moved back to the area (northwest Baltimore County) and am looking for a range. Someplace with an annual membership is preferred, as I'd like to be able to shoot regularly.
    At present I own and shoot two handguns, so while I'm perfectly amenable to facilities capable of accommodating bow, riffle, etc., that isn't really necessary for me at this point.
    I am a female shooter, so if that's going to be an issue (or if the prevailing attitude is that of the "good ol' boy"), I'd prefer to be aware of that ahead of time. I'll happily spend my money and time elsewhere.
    Any recommendations would be most appreciated!

I have been a member at both Freestate and AGC.

Neither one is inexpensive (AGC is $150 year, Freestate $250) but they are also not too expensive, either. I have not been to the other ranges mentioned in this thread, so I can't comment on those.

My experience with Freestate has been that the hours are great, the staff pretty good, and the equipment make it a great place for a pistol shooter. The main problem is that with a limited number of lanes (12) it can be difficult to get a lane in a reasonable amount of time. If you are only in it for pistol, Freestate is a pretty good option, even though they do allow shotguns and rifles (under .308 I think) I do not think the 25 yd max target range is very useful for those weapons. Other people do, though, because you will usually see someone shooting a long gun there.

At AGC, the pistol range is not as good. It's 50 yards, with a small berm out at about the halfway point that has no useful purpose, unless forcing you to have your targets mounted very high is a useful purpose. Having to either buy a target frame or build one yourself is a setback for AGC as a pistol range. AGC does have other facilities, such as two rifle ranges, a trap range, and an indoor air gun range. There are a great number of different events held at AGC which give you the chance to try some things (like bowling pin shoots), and members can bring as many guests as they want.

ParadigmShift

Mar 29, 2013
    We just joined AGC on Marriottsville Road. Wonderful outdoor range. Good group of people. We have also considered Continental Arms which is an indoor gun range in the Timonium area. We also thought that was a very nice place.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    SLCFSA, south of Lancaster, also has a number of events that are open to the public. Some pistol and some rifle events.

AGC is a nice range, but expensive. SLCFSA is $50 a year, has two rifle ranges (100 and 300 yard), two pistol ranges (one allows shotgun and muzzle loader), archery, and 12 - 50 ft bays for action shooting, 5 trap houses, and a pond you can fish. :) And for me, it is closer.

Antlers09

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    Another girl here.... I've been to Freestate a few times and really like it. They are friendly, helpful and I've never had a problem getting a lane. We usually go on Friday nights, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. We are considering joining, but I want to try AGC also.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Another girl here.... I've been to Freestate a few times and really like it. They are friendly, helpful and I've never had a problem getting a lane. We usually go on Friday nights, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. We are considering joining, but I want to try AGC also.

...and that's a perfect avatar you have.

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    I have been a member at both Freestate and AGC.

Neither one is inexpensive (AGC is $150 year, Freestate $250) but they are also not too expensive, either. I have not been to the other ranges mentioned in this thread, so I can't comment on those.

My experience with Freestate has been that the hours are great, the staff pretty good, and the equipment make it a great place for a pistol shooter. The main problem is that with a limited number of lanes (12) it can be difficult to get a lane in a reasonable amount of time. If you are only in it for pistol, Freestate is a pretty good option, even though they do allow shotguns and rifles (under .308 I think) I do not think the 25 yd max target range is very useful for those weapons. Other people do, though, because you will usually see someone shooting a long gun there.

At AGC, the pistol range is not as good. It's 50 yards, with a small berm out at about the halfway point that has no useful purpose, unless forcing you to have your targets mounted very high is a useful purpose. Having to either buy a target frame or build one yourself is a setback for AGC as a pistol range. AGC does have other facilities, such as two rifle ranges, a trap range, and an indoor air gun range. There are a great number of different events held at AGC which give you the chance to try some things (like bowling pin shoots), and members can bring as many guests as they want.

The berm protects the target machinery for the hide/reveal target frames, and the lighting for same.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    +1 for AGC. I just joined Baltimore Rifle Club. Joining was easy an inexpensive. One hour range safety walk through, came down the next day to get my range badge and started shooting right away. From time I inquired with Baltimore rifle to shooting was only one week. $22 for membership, $75 range badge fee for the remainder of the year (it's normally $150 if you get it in January). I would make the assumption that by your name you are a firefighter like me. If that means shift work, apparently daytimes at AGC are pretty much wide open and a good time to shoot. Good luck finding something that works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom