• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Just thought I would throw this out there and see if you guys can help. My girlfriend is looking for a job and with the job market the way it is, she is having a tough time. She had a job at the APG as an intern for the last three years, but she lost it during the hiring freeze and they didn't tell her that until two weeks after she graduated this past spring.

She has a BS in Industrial Design and a minor in Packaging Design from Virginia Tech. There have been several people who have said that they would like to hire her, but they don't have the money for new positions. She has her resume out there on the internet job boards, etc. but i was just wondering if any of you guys have any connections or know of anyone who is hiring. I appreciate any and all help.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    FORUM RULE VIOLATION

You aren't allowed to mention your girlfriend without posting pics....we do have rules here, ya know! :lol2:

I think there was recently a jobs thread that had some great links. She could try those.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Has she contacted any of the endless number of military contractors throughout the area? For all the ones I deal with on a near daily basis, nine out of ten can't do a decent industrial or packaging design to save their life, especially if/when ergonomics comes into play. I'm sure at least some might be interested in talking to her.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I found the jobs thread with all of the websites...I know she has used some of those, but I'll send her the list so she can try some more.

As far as the defense contractors go, she has put resumes into the system, but I don't know if she has contacted any of them directly. I'll suggest that to her.

Thanks for the help.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If at all possible, she should apply directly through each company's website, not through any "giant" job website. That said, looking on "giant" job websites is a great way to get clues about who's hiring. The headhunters there typically post which town/city the job is in. With that info, it's usually not difficult to figure out the likely employer by Google searching.

Besides the obvious employers like Lockheed, Northrop, General Dynamics, etc., she should be on the lookout for the small to mid-size places that headhunters tend to focus their job ads on. Hunt Valley is a great place to start the search. AAI is often hiring, as is GDRS.

Even if the career section of each company's website doesn't have a matching job listing, she should apply anyway. Many jobs never get posted there because managers look through the pile of submitted resumes first.

One mistake to avoid is submitting her resume to blitzkrieg headhunters, who blindly forward it to any and every employer throughout the area. It will put her in a really tough spot if she applies at the same companies on her own and HR turns her away in fear of the headhunter coming back for a finder's fee. It happens all the time.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    The defense contractors are a great idea, and I never really thought about them. I'm not sure she has thought about them either, so I'll definitely mention it to her. I'll have to see who I know that has connections in the different companies. Thanks for the suggestion.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    AeroTek Engineering

Body shop with multiple disciplines. Usually contract work, but gets your foot in the door and opens full-time employment opportunities.

Office all around the area. One large one near Columbia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom