• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hubbarddanny

Oct 4, 2013
    Severn
    I am looking for classroom space to conduct the classroom portions of an HQL class. I recently started my own instruction business but am having difficulty finding affordable classrooms to conduct the classes in. Any ideas? I am in the Annapolis/Severn/Ft Meade area.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I am looking for classroom space to conduct the classroom portions of an HQL class. I recently started my own instruction business but am having difficulty finding affordable classrooms to conduct the classes in. Any ideas? I am in the Annapolis/Severn/Ft Meade area.

Check the local hotels and see what they charge for meeting rooms. You will find that offering a cut rate will cause you to break even or loose money due to the overhead associated with training.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

Ask the MSP to use their public meeting room. Offer the classroom portion without charge as a public service to promote gun safety. Dont advertise, sell or exchange money on government property.

Charge for the range portion. No, I am not kidding.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The biggest obstacle I have found to do any type of instruction is finding a classroom and/or range willing to give me the space to use. All of the ranges in my area already have instructors and don't allow outsiders to bring in people to qualify, etc.

I wish I could get some land and out a range and classroom shed up.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miles71
    I wish I could get some land and out a range and classroom shed up.
    If it was that simple.

Lots of permits and zoning issues if you want to run it as a business. One could think you are trying to store nuclear waste.

Ive got all my nuclear waste under the bed..........anyone else taste walnuts..................

TD

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    Combine the HQL with Basic pistol or FIRST Steps, then do the classroom at a hotel conf room and the range at a commercial range facility. Set the minimum class size at 5. This will allow you to cover the costs of the space rentals.

Maryland's QHI program has produced a glut of HQL Instructors, obliterating any market niche for the HQL only instructor outside of private gun club environments.

Keep in mind that you will need liability insurance and training firearms, ammunition, safety wear eyes & ears, and targets. Oh yeah, don't forget a support instructor on the range depending on the class size. These are the minimal investment costs. And, make sure you produce a quality product worth delivering otherwise word of mouth advertising will quickly reduce any future opportunities.

And if you really want to be competitive, you should partner with a LiveScan provider that can do mobile locations. Doing the HQL training as an 'All in one stop' event is the future of this market.

If you were thinking that there is a 'monetary profit' to be made in firearms training in Maryland, ground truth awaits you. If your desire is to provide solid instruction and an introduction to the shooting sports, I would suggest beginning at the local club level to build both a reputation and to polish your skill set. Great shooting sports instructors are not taught to be so at any one given instructor class.

Just some 'seasoned' thoughts.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    No doubt about it, you will not get rich doing HQL classes (or most of hte NRA classes either).

As MTNWISDOM stated, offer a few solid classes. Insurance is relatively cheap (about $300 per million of liability).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom