• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    So.....anyone on the board involved in the sport willing to show someone new to it the ropes? New to IDPA - not shooting, looking to find out how to get started, where local clubs and matches might be, basic rundown what to expect at first match, etc.

TIA,
    Brad

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    there are plenty that does idpa. check the idpa website and dowload the guideline. hopefully somebody will chime in. been meaning to try it out myself. :)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    in the 'competitive shooting' forum, just search for idpa (or uspsa or steel challenge, or gssf, which are similar). you will find hints for your first match and see when matches are posted.

go to idpa or uspsa websites, they list all the clubs, then just hit their websites for info. normally not too much in way of competitions over the winter.

all these are real easy to get into. some send out emails notifying you to register, others just let you show up.

for the basic divisions, really don't need anything special. stock gun, three mags, holster and mag holders.

at your first match, just tell them you're brand new and they'll take care of you. will let you go last so you can see what everyone else is doing.

leave all your guns cased til you check in. at check in ask them about getting loaded out. for the most part, you holster your empty gun in a designated SAFE area. and don't load until it's your turn to shoot and you're at the start line.

ask lots of questions and help paste targets and reset steel as applicable.

look on youtube for some videos. read the rules on idpa and uspsa website.

after shooting stationary at paper-only ranges my whole life, just started this out of the blue about two years ago. couldn't be much more fun.

couple of hints:
    hard to go slow, but do go slow until you are certain you are hitting your targets. focus on the front sight.
    finger off the trigger while moving and reloading, holstering, etc. only on when you're on target.
    muzzle always has to be pointed downrange and facing the berm.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Where are you located? Local is a relative term with many of us driving over an hour to go to matches.

I've shot at AAFG and Thurmont Gun Club.
    AAFG really likes to have new idpa shooters come out on the weekday matches. It gives them more time to shoot and work with you. There is a match on the 6th. They also hold the most IDPA matches of any local club that I found and have a really nice setup and array of shooters and targets. They are very cautious of muzzle direction here because of how close to residential and commercial areas it is. Reloads must all be done without the muzzle being pointed up. If you have trained to rotate your gun to reload, you might want to spend some time practicing.
    Thurmont was a little more laid back and I seemed to get a lot of good advice as a new shooter there and didn't feel pressured to roll along. You can only be so laid back while handling firearms though.
    Freestate also does competitions every week. Things like balloon shooting, board chopping, pin shooting, etc. I've been to a couple of those and they are lots of fun.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I shoot IDPA at Thurmont and want to start this year shooting the matches at Bridgeville too.

Where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom