Looking for info on this old Hampden arms sxs shotgun. I can’t find any info on this external hammer shotgun. And info would be greatly appreciated

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommygun4hire

Feb 21, 2012
    Salisbury MD.
    6BFF49C7-667C-4BF7-9987-301F2D69FE04.jpeg

Attachments

• 4445A49F-252B-459C-8CB0-F45773FB3D0A.jpeg
      4445A49F-252B-459C-8CB0-F45773FB3D0A.jpeg
      267.9 KB · Views: 46

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That's an interesting old shotgun - doubly so because there just doesn't seem to be much information about it online. Usually I can Google-fu something pretty quickly, but this one has resisted my efforts.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Is there a “235” (or any other mark for that matter) stamped on the underside (bottom) of the receiver?

It will help if you can provide photos of any marks on the receiver flats (directly under the bbls chambers) and any marks on the barrels (underside as well as top exterior, etc.) and there may even be telling marks on the inside of the forearm. Heck, even a clear photo of butt plates can often help …

You “may” have a shotgun actually mfr’ed by Stevens.

You can also search the Gun ID Archives at ShotgunWorld.com:

Shotgun Gun ID Archive:​

as well as inquire via the separate

Shotgun ID & Value forum:​

Doing a site wide search for “Hampden” in the thread title I turned up this lone search result, from 2006 (and to which the poster got no replies):

Upon further review.
    I was looking into the gun for a buddy and now have handled it.The gun is a 16 gauge hammer gun with fluid steel barrels that is a Stevens model 235. Other then Model 235 on the bottom of the frame, Hampden Arms Co on the left side of the frame, and a Serial #, there is nothing else on the gun.

I know stevens made guns for most anyone but I can find nothing on Hampden Arms Co.

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've only found two other threads that mention the Hampden Arms Co. and both were single posts with no answers.
    The action definitely looks like an early Stevens 235, especially with the screw head rear of the left hammer. Stevens made a ton of these under other names: Acme, Favorite, Gem, Marvel, Massachusetts Arms Company, Nitro Special, Olympic, Riverside, Springfield, Walnut Hill, and others.

To conflate things even more, Stevens licensed their patents to other companies which made clones/copies of their firearms.
    My guess is that the Hampden is a Stevens 235 that was made for a retail company. Acme Arms Company, for example, was a trade name used by the Cornwall Hardware Company of NY for both Stevens-manufactured guns as well as guns manufactured by F. Dumoulin of Liege Belgium for sale in their stores and catalogs. Given that Chicopee Falls is located in Hampden County, Massachusetts, I'd say it's 99.9% likely that it's a Stevens 235. The bad news is that it's likely not worth much. The good news is that it will be easy to repair and keep shooting for years to come thanks to the availability of parts.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    More than likely it's one of the shotguns made by F. A. Crescent Arms Co, they made a good serviceable shotgun under many many names, mainly for hardware stores. They also sold some under their own name, Crescent was eventually sold to Stevens. There is a link with a list of some of the names Crescent used but now all names are known.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    More than likely it's one of the shotguns made by F. A. Crescent Arms Co, they made a good serviceable shotgun under many many names, mainly for hardware stores. They also sold some under their own name, Crescent was eventually sold to Stevens. There is a link with a list of some of the names Crescent used but now all names are known.

I don't think it's a Crescent. Crescent hammer guns came in two configurations. Either a "three screw" model that had three screws rear of the hammer on the left side, or a "single screw" model that had the firing pin retention screws on the side of the ball fences vs the typical Stevens pattern of having them come in from the bottom. Also, Crescent/Folsum was made in Norwich, New Loudon County in Massachusetts, not Hampden County like Stevens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom