• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Windham weaponry is a good option and is one of a few company’s that makes a MD compliant rifle. They were recently in stock for roughly $1000, which is over priced, but everything is right now.

Personally I would avoid Delton and Ruger. I’ve seen enough first hand issues with two Ruger 556 AR’s that I’ll never consider one. I’d rather have a Palmetto State Armory rifle.

And speaking of PSA, this 18 inch HBAR upper is in stock. It’s got an FN cold hammer forged barrel, which is an excellent barrel. I’ve got one of these and so does a friend of mine. Granted, they were around $450 when I bought them in January.

It’s kind of a unicorn since FN really doesn’t have an 18 inch mid length barrel that they sell on their own. With a standard spring and H2 buffer it’s been a great shooter.

If you have someone willing to assemble a lower for you, this might be your best route to “something decent” for under $1000. I’ve had zero issues with the two I’ve handled, both have seen roughly 1k rounds.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...htweight-m-lok-upper-no-bcg-ch-516444448.html

Just make sure you grab a bolt carrier group and charging handle. ALG defense makes a great BCG for roughly $140.

I’ve got many a more expensive rifle but these have proven to be worth it, to me at least.

Just keep in mind that just because FN made it that doesn't mean it is to FN military specs. In fact, FN commercial products are not the same as what they provide to the military. QC is suspect.

I wouldn't trust anything from PSA unless I had the ability to fully gauge and inspect it properly. With that in mind I do have older PSA parts that gauged fine.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    And I’m clueless, I’ve been a handgun guy all my life but the bug is biting and I’m looking to get an AR.

What’s reasonable as far as cost and reliability?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Nothing like buying at the top of the market, huh?

(of course, odds are we are actually no where near the "top of the market" yet, are we?)

Anyhow;
    7-800 and up down here, M&P15s, a Ruger every now and again, Del Tons, I sold an R-Guns something-something 15, a carbine with a kinda older school quad pic rail, but at least not as fat as the earliest ones were. And a YHM folding front sight (winged, GI Post) - gas block combo, I think even had a bayonet lug stuck on there on the bottom. I remember those from my first M4 back in 2003 or 4 when I got back from 3 years in Italy to a (then) free state (VA). The AWB was soon sunsetting, and we'd see the end of 35$ beat up GI mags (or more!) So anyway, not a thing wrong with the R Guns one, either that I could see. Maybe a little dry, but key staked right and etc...

What have you seen in your area?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Two possibilities - Market will gradually return to normal-ish within a year or so , OR AR's will become priceless .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But on topic , with the discontinuation of the Colt 6721 , the Windham is probably the default yardstick now .

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    [Kev308];6143453 said:
    Buy a stripped lower and build it yourself. It is very easy to do and plenty of videos on how to build a lower. Make it into a pistol, and then buy items to make it into a rifle as well.

Good luck finding a heavy profile barrel that isn’t BCA. Been looking for my brother.

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    Idk where you live but if hanover armory is anywhere near you I'd head over there. They make their own. You'll be paying in the $899-1200 range but they give you a little room to customize as far as barrel length, type of barrel, etc. Also, they give an automatic lifetime warranty on all of their rifles free of charge. Very friendly and knowledgeable.

eagledriver

Jan 13, 2013
    Mt Airy, South sorta
    I had a similar thought some decades ago and finally settled the itch with the S&W M&P10 in .308Win. Less hassle, cost is about the same, "looks" about the same and leaves a bigger impression on your subject of interest. I never had any trouble finding ammo for it and it's always priced better in qty. Totally reliable and various accessories are available, if not locally, just a little further away in neighboring locations. You can always call ahead to see what might be available.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Windham weaponry is a good option and is one of a few company’s that makes a MD compliant rifle. They were recently in stock for roughly $1000, which is over priced, but everything is right now.

Personally I would avoid Delton and Ruger. I’ve seen enough first hand issues with two Ruger 556 AR’s that I’ll never consider one. I’d rather have a Palmetto State Armory rifle.

And speaking of PSA, this 18 inch HBAR upper is in stock. It’s got an FN cold hammer forged barrel, which is an excellent barrel. I’ve got one of these and so does a friend of mine. Granted, they were around $450 when I bought them in January.

It’s kind of a unicorn since FN really doesn’t have an 18 inch mid length barrel that they sell on their own. With a standard spring and H2 buffer it’s been a great shooter.

If you have someone willing to assemble a lower for you, this might be your best route to “something decent” for under $1000. I’ve had zero issues with the two I’ve handled, both have seen roughly 1k rounds.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...htweight-m-lok-upper-no-bcg-ch-516444448.html

Just make sure you grab a bolt carrier group and charging handle. ALG defense makes a great BCG for roughly $140.

I’ve got many a more expensive rifle but these have proven to be worth it, to me at least.

I agree with Ski. I have a Windham HBar and it is a great rifle. I also have a 7.62x39 AR that I built myself, which is great, especially with the current cost of ammo. BUT, whatever you do, you will want to HURRY, as the President Defect, sorry ELECT, wants to ban everything in sight.....

Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013
    I agree with Ski. I have a Windham HBar and it is a great rifle. I also have a 7.62x39 AR that I built myself, which is great, especially with the current cost of ammo. BUT, whatever you do, you will want to HURRY, as the President Defect, sorry ELECT, wants to ban everything in sight.....

But... but....

“Nobody needs 10 boolits to kill a deeaah”

:rolleyes:

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County

You addressed your issues with Ruger. What is it that makes you want to avoid Delton? Any specific issues or just that they’re at the low end of the market? I ask because I’m of the opinion that you won’t really know what you want til you’ve had one for some time. Delton is an inexpensive option to get your feet wet. When I was looking around fairly recently it was also a potentially available option.

Go cheap to learn about your tastes and then spend on the one that will make you happy long term. Never a bad idea to have more than one.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    We have seen many different ar's in our classes including Deltons and Rugers along with dozens of other brands. Have never seen any problems except one polymer lower that came apart. The ONLY gun problems we have seen is in magizine malfunctions. No gun problems. Just a thought and I seen hundred's of thousands of round shot. Are some smoother operators yes but they all fired and were reliable. Don't get me wrong for my own guns I use Daniel Defense for DI and LWRC for piston.

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    You addressed your issues with Ruger. What is it that makes you want to avoid Delton? Any specific issues or just that they’re at the low end of the market? I ask because I’m of the opinion that you won’t really know what you want til you’ve had one for some time. Delton is an inexpensive option to get your feet wet. When I was looking around fairly recently it was also a potentially available option.

Go cheap to learn about your tastes and then spend on the one that will make you happy long term. Never a bad idea to have more than one.

My Delton has been a great rifle for me. Bought one from J Lowe last year and the round count is past 1800 with no issues. Fit and finish isn't as nice as my lwrc, but at $550, its money well spent.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    LWRC .. when I bought my first AR the statement was buy once, cry once due to cost, at the time about $1200, I have since acquired several other AR's, a few cheaper models and another on par with LWRC but I typically end up grabbing the LWRC when I go shooting

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    LWRC .. when I bought my first AR the statement was buy once, cry once due to cost, at the time about $1200, I have since acquired several other AR's, a few cheaper models and another on par with LWRC but I typically end up grabbing the LWRC when I go shooting

I don’t know anyone with only one AR... hence my suggestion to buy cheap the first time. :)

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    You can tell the really cheap brand vs the very expensive brand. However, in the days of outsourcing you don't really know who make all the components.

I wish I can tell where Colt or LWRC gets their parts from. I think if we know that we are in for a big surprise.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    My Delton has been a great rifle for me. Bought one from J Lowe last year and the round count is past 1800 with no issues. Fit and finish isn't as nice as my lwrc, but at $550, its money well spent.

I believe there are better options even for the price of a Delton (pre covid), but that is highly subjective. I'd definitely take a Delton over a Ruger after my experience with Ruger. You are right, though, that generally they are perfectly adequate rifles, and it's great that you can get one with a chrome lined bore for not a whole lot more ($30 upcharge if I recall).

If I bought a Delton I would prob strip it down and rebuild for good measure, but perhaps not necessary.

My first AR15 was a Stag Arms pre ban. Had to sell my guns in 2011 due to some hardship and I so regret giving that puppy up.

People endlessly trash talk Palmetto State Armory on here, but I've got to say I've had almost no issues with them. I did send back a bolt carrier group that obviously missed a finishing step, but everything else has been solid for the price. I wouldn't touch their most basic line, but everything from their "freedom" line and up I think is ok.

I received a bad bolt from BCM once, so even the upper tier stuff will sometimes let you down.

And don't get me wrong, I love Ruger. My MkIV and my 10/22 are among my favorite firearms, but they sold themselves short on their AR's.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    But on topic , with the discontinuation of the Colt 6721 , the Windham is probably the default yardstick now .

Please explain, BigFoot...is the 6721 that
    much better an option?
    I did not know that model had been discontinued. I thought NIB are around
    $1,200 in the current inflated market.
    Seems lottsa folks scoff at a real Colt
    because of cost vs. value, and so many other makers from which to choose.
    I am not really up to speed on 15’s, so
    I truly don’t know, and am asking most respectfully. Not challenging in any way.

WarPig68

May 9, 2012
    Pasadena
    And I’m clueless, I’ve been a handgun guy all my life but the bug is biting and I’m looking to get an AR.

What’s reasonable as far as cost and reliability?

Thanks in advance

Brian

If you’re anywhere near Pasadena, I’d suggest stopping into Field Traders. They always seem to carry assembled AR15s and have parts for builds if you’d want to go that route.

Not Sure

Jan 1, 2021
    I would compare your task similar to that of a young woman at the makeup store for the first time. There are a million combinations and possibilities. They all have their little attraction in some way. Some are so outlandish that you will laugh. Shiny, flashy, it will be overwhelming. After some experimenting and indulgence you will find the one that is you. Or three or four etc... A little accentuation or two never hurts. I have fond memories of my first. I still get excited. Though I cant help but look at the hot new items. :drool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom