• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    I'm looking to build or buy a new deer gun for next season. I have a Rugged Alaskan in the works. My current deer gun is a AR in 450 BM with a 20inch barrel. I hunt public woods and have never needed to take a shot more than 100 yards. I'm looking for something shorter, quieter, and lighter to carry. I'm leaning towards the new Ruger American Gen II Ranch when it comes out or building another AR. Possibly a pistol with a 12.5 inch barrel. Is a 350L pistol a dumb idea and I should just put together a 16 inch rifle, buy a bolt gun or something else I haven't considered?

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    The Cascade has a "Short Barrel" version at 18 inches. https://bpioutdoors.com/cascade-sb/ I have a CVA muzzleloader that I have been happy with. I'll have to check that one out too.

I like the adjustablity of the new Ruger. It leaves the option of my kids using it for hunting when they get a little bigger. I would probably just get something in single shot when they're ready though.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Nothing wrong with a 350L pistol. They use very fast powders for 350L, so you don't give up that much velocity by going with a 12.5" pistol. Probably less than 100 fps going from 16" to 12.5" (see article below).

However, without a supressor, a linear compensator, or a flash can, a pistol will be noticeably louder than a rifle. Once you add the length and weight of a supressor, probably not much lighter or handier than a rifle. Of course, if you add a supressor to a rifle, probably not going to be shorter than the 450 BM you have now, either. . .

You didn't say you wanted to hunt with subsonic ammo, which is good. It's difficult to make a 350L pistol that is legal for subsonic deer hunting in MD. The heaviest commercial bullet I've seen for 350L is the Maker 280 gr monolithic copper bullet, which will require a 1:10 twist barrel and still has to be pushed to at least 1061 fps to meet MD muzzle energy requirements. (700 ft lbs for pistol, 1200 ft lbs for rifle).

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    Thanks for that, I was concerned about how much velocity I would lose with a pistol. No plans to run subs while hunting, just want it quieter than the 450. I thought about getting a dedicated suppressor for it but I don't shoot it a lot and adding a suppressor to the 20inch barrel would be cumbersome hiking in to my spots. The Rugged Alaskan can be shared with some 9mm hosts I have so it makes sense to just get a 350L to go with it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I recently got a Ruger American ranch in 350 legend, the first generation, and I put my obsidian 45 on it and I love it

Subs are really quite and supers are PLENTY ear safe

It’s a good combo

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for that, I was concerned about how much velocity I would lose with a pistol. No plans to run subs while hunting, just want it quieter than the 450. I thought about getting a dedicated suppressor for it but I don't shoot it a lot and adding a suppressor to the 20inch barrel would be cumbersome hiking in to my spots. The Rugged Alaskan can be shared with some 9mm hosts I have so it makes sense to just get a 350L to go with it.
    It’ll definitely make it longer. Not exactly the same OAL, but I run an Omega 300 on my 20” Howa in 6.5 Grendel. The length isn’t bad and the weight isn’t either. Admittedly I’d like a 16” 300BO. But that’s as much as I’d like a rifle in 300BO than it is really desiring something a lot shorter.

The only time I find it particularly cumbersome is using the rifle in my portable ground blind.

But I also don’t regularly hike through really thick stuff with that rifle and when I am moving through that kind of stuff, it isn’t far so rifle in hand rather than slung is just fine

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have an 18” AR platform with a dead air primal and am very happy with it all the way around. I wouldn’t go pistol length until I was able to test someone else’s. 350 is already a ballistic rainbow when your used to shooting 5.56 and 6.5cm

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Data collected by youtuber "Firearms Convention" in his video series "350 Legend Velocity by the Inch." Each data point shown is a 5 shot average velocity.

350 L by the inch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom