Looking for recommendations for a BB gun or air rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I have zero idea on what's on the market right now. I grew up with a Daisy 880. I even think my dad still has it somewhere. Not sure where to begin. Just want to shoot some cans and bottles in the backyard. Only option is that it should be able to accept a scope.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I have zero idea on what's on the market right now. …

You’re in for a lot of surprises and even more choices!

And, there are some members here who can provide A TON of info, based on actual experience.

First decision is whether you want to rely on CO2 or not and sounds like not?

I prefer to not go down the CO2 route just because it’s one less thing to deal with (I can shoot rimfire freely)

I lean toward precision target shooting - iron / open sights ONLY - at 10M both rifle and pistol:

- the Air Venturi V-10 pistol:

I’m on the fence but am leaning toward moving up to the Air Venturi AV-6M:

For rifle at present I am still enjoying a

Daisy Match Grade Avanti 753S​

Attachments

• IMG_4333.jpeg
      IMG_4333.jpeg
      10.2 KB · Views: 43
    • IMG_4332.jpeg
      IMG_4332.jpeg
      87.2 KB · Views: 41
    • IMG_4334.jpeg
      IMG_4334.jpeg
      5.2 KB · Views: 49
    Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I find the best way to shop for best price is to locate and “copy” the UPC, SKU or MPN for the item I’m interested in and then paste” that same # into the Search box at gun.deals.com +/or Wikiarms.com.

Obviously, the closer you get to Christmas, the more you’re gonna pay, more times than not …

LRNAD90

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2015
    Balt. Co. MD
    On the cheap end, you have Crossman pump rifles..

Legacy 1000

Next up the rung would be Co2..

Crossman 1077
    Crossman 1077 combo (w/scope)
    Beeman QQ78 Deluxe

Full auto BB guns can be fun for plinking, but not very accurate, and generally don't fire pellets..

Crossman DPMS SBR
    Sig Sauer MCX

Next would be Break Barrels..
    And then PCP (pre charged Pneumatic)..

Both are probbably not what you are looking for based on your description..

I've linked stuff to Pyramid Air, mostly because they are a big prescience in the online sales and have a large variety, but there are a number of online stores.

Good Luck and have Fun!

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    If you have glocks but can’t go to the range as often, try this.

Amazon product ASIN B07FT2LLLK
    I learned from another member that the secret is to be able to practice (pulling the trigger with the gun remaining still) year round and in some cases it means even when you are snowed in and can’t get to the range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How inexpensive is inexpensive , how accurate is accurate ?Are you looking for an understudy for a particular Firearm , or a freestanding air gun .

CO2 isn't a step up , it's a step sideways .

My most recent was a late model ( fiber optic ) Crossman 760 .

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Mine are 2 vintage Sheridan Bkue Streaks 5mm, both in. excellent condition. One with Scope mount / Bushnell 3x9 scope.

Check yard sales some of the local auctions

-Rock

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Gamo piston powered .22 caliber break barrel rifle is a very good start. I picked up a wood stocked version at Cabalas for under $200 on sale. Add an inexpensive deer scope and it's more accurate than I am.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I loved the Crosman 760 when growing up, but we had hit and miss with the barrel quality for accuracy. We probaby should have sent the dud barrel guns back as warranty problems.

For inexpensive but accurate pistols the $45 Beeman P17 is hard to beat. It used to be sold as the Marksman 2400 without the Beeman name

The P17 is the Chinese copy of the German made $280 Beeman P3
    Originally Beeman considered suing to keep the 2400 out of the US, but when they bought and tested a batch, instead they asked to be the US importer. The quality actually is still there. Beeman doesn't actually make either of these, they buy them from other makers with their name put on them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I loved the Crosman 760 when growing up, but we had hit and miss with the barrel quality for accuracy. We probaby should have sent the dud barrel guns back as warranty problems.

You undoubtedly know , but for everyone's benefit , the Classic M760 is Not a rifle , but a smoothbore . Back in the '60s when introduced , steel BB's were considered the emphasis , and Pellets were an afterthought .

The later near identical Daisy 880 does have actual rifled bbl .

Way back in the day , my next door neighbor had a ( wood stock iirc) 760 , and I had the Crossman single shot .22 pellet rifle .

My above mentioned late model 760 ? In '21 we were at an interesting hybred freestanding flea market/ store in the country in central PA . Owner saw me checking out the 760 , and invited me outside for a test drive .

At eyeballed 25 - ish yards , with BBs and fiber optic " iron sights " , we were hitting soda cans at least half the time offhand . Definitely accurate enough to be fun , so I bought it .

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A single-stroke, break action, spring-piston pellet rifle is a great balance of cost and performance. No CO2, consistent ballistics, good power levels, typically good precision.

I have a 5mm Beeman and a .177 RWS-Diana (spring-piston rifles) and they both shoot very well. The 5mm has been good for hunting small game, with a good combination of velocity/trajectory and pellet weight/diameter. The 177 shoots marginally flatter and is great for just plinking around the yard, but the pellets tend to zip through stuff and don't always get immediate results like bigger pellets do.

Be careful, it's easy to forget how potent a good air rifle can be.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    How inexpensive is inexpensive , how accurate is accurate ?Are you looking for an understudy for a particular Firearm , or a freestanding air gun .

CO2 isn't a step up , it's a step sideways .

My most recent was a late model ( fiber optic ) Crossman 760 .

Inexpensive is $150 and down preferred but will go a little higher if need be. Accurate enough to be used up to 30-40 feet. Not looking for anything particular, just want to get behind a trigger inexpensively.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't have specific models , but there are a large plethora of break action spring piston air rifles @ $100‐ 150 that will do that .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't have specific models , but there are a large plethora of break action spring piston air rifles @ $100‐ 150 that will do that .
    I agree. I have a Crosman Phantom that I bought as a warranty return no problem found item. I have put an aftermarket trigger in it and taught myself to shoot springers. I can hit a bottle cap at 20 yards in about 5 shots, so I am confident the pattern is silver dollar size or less.

FatTony

Aug 2, 2015
    Carroll County
    The Gamo swarm magnum gen3 .177 will send a quality alloy pellet down range up to 1650 fps. Word of warning, if neighbors are within ear shot ( pun intended ), the report is near that of a .22 long rifle.
    I've taken a couple ground hogs with well placed single shots and one stubborn sob needed a followup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom