• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm in the process of shopping around for my first handgun. I haven't got a lot of handgun experience yet, but I figure I gotta start somewhere.

I've been shooting for maybe 3 years now. First purchase was a Remington 700 while I've shot at 100 and 200 yd ranges. Then I got a Benelli Nova I've used for trap shooting almost monthly since i got it last year and one pheasant hunt.

Now I'd like to expand into handguns. The best advice I think I've been given is to find a way to try as many different guns as you can, so I think heading to one of the ranges that let you pay a rental fee and swap out as many guns as you want would be best.

Who would you say has the best selection? If it helps, I'm specifically looking for something in .40 S&W. I've already shot Glock 22 and might be interested in the longer Glock 35, but I'm also want to make this purchase on the cheaper side of things ($300-$500, not $500-$800).

I'd like to try the Taurus PT840, but I don't know if any of the rental ranges will carry this.

I've been to Gilberts before, but not OnTarget. I also saw MSAR on a google search, but they're kinda out of the way for me... more in the area between DC and Baltimore or west of Baltimore as far as Fredrick.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Don't forget Freestate. You can call any of them to ask about specific rentals.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Before you do any pistol shooting... If you are a Maryland resident, Do you have your Handgun Qualification License? In not... get it first. If Yes... proceed to...

Call the Ranges which are local to you. Most will have an in house stable of rental guns. Shoot as many as you have interest in and choose a few that seem to be the best fit for you. Then reshoot those few until you make your final choice.

Here is a link to our IP section... You can find Ranges and other resources there.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Just an FYI, I had a PT840. Nice pistol, but magazines were (at the time) hard to find.

Thanks Jim. I'm glad to see someone else on here has shot and likes the 840. I'm not sure if I'm likely to find that one at the rental ranges. I feel better about it from someone here than some random dude on YouTube.

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Don't forget Freestate. You can call any of them to ask about specific rentals.

I'll contact Freestate. I saw their prices on the website, but I didn't see any listing about what they had to rent. I shoot at AGC Baltimore in Marriottsville, but it's just a range, not a retail/rental location.

Freestate also seems like it'll be pricy to try a bunch of different firearms... if I understand the website correctly, it's $10 per firearm whereas OnTarget is a flat rate and you can switch out the firearms, unless I'm misunderstanding the site.

-Dan

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OT like many ranges require you to shoot their ammo from their gun so although you can swap out all you want as said, if its another caliber, you gotta buy another box of ammo.
    Well worth it to try different guns out. When my dad got an XDM all they had was an XD. Remember, they may not have the newest and latest of each gun they sell. And go when its not crowded or the one you may want might be rented.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Before you do any pistol shooting... If you are a Maryland resident, Do you have your Handgun Qualification License? In not... get it first. If Yes... proceed to...
    Call the Ranges which are local to you. Most will have an in house stable of rental guns. Shoot as many as you have interest in and choose a few that seem to be the best fit for you. Then reshoot those few until you make your final choice.

:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By the gun is typical , so looks like ON Target is your Huckleberry. And of course put the word out here on MDS , someone will likely have just about anything, often be able to set up to meet you to try it.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    If you choose to go to On-Target and we are able to sync our schedules I can meet you there and you can shoot any of my three pistols. They're all 9mm but they'll still give you a decent reference for ergonomics, etc. I have a P229, P320 and Glock 26.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    If you choose to go to On-Target and we are able to sync our schedules I can meet you there and you can shoot any of my three pistols. They're all 9mm but they'll still give you a decent reference for ergonomics, etc. I have a P229, P320 and Glock 26.

What is your honest thoughts on the P320 I go back and forth on throwing down the dough?

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    What is your honest thoughts on the P320 I go back and forth on throwing down the dough?

I like it a lot. Ergos are identical to my P229, I shoot them about the same. Just a little lighter and has a great trigger. Slightly easier to conceal than the P229 mostly because of lack of a hammer.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I like it a lot. Ergos are identical to my P229, I shoot them about the same. Just a little lighter and has a great trigger. Slightly easier to conceal than the P229 mostly because of lack of a hammer.
    Good to know I may have to go and see Nate

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

six6nine9wpk

Jan 27, 2015
    I'm in the process of shopping around for my first handgun. I haven't got a lot of handgun experience yet, but I figure I gotta start somewhere.

I've been shooting for maybe 3 years now. First purchase was a Remington 700 while I've shot at 100 and 200 yd ranges. Then I got a Benelli Nova I've used for trap shooting almost monthly since i got it last year and one pheasant hunt.

Now I'd like to expand into handguns. The best advice I think I've been given is to find a way to try as many different guns as you can, so I think heading to one of the ranges that let you pay a rental fee and swap out as many guns as you want would be best.

Who would you say has the best selection? If it helps, I'm specifically looking for something in .40 S&W. I've already shot Glock 22 and might be interested in the longer Glock 35, but I'm also want to make this purchase on the cheaper side of things ($300-$500, not $500-$800).

I'd like to try the Taurus PT840, but I don't know if any of the rental ranges will carry this.

I've been to Gilberts before, but not OnTarget. I also saw MSAR on a google search, but they're kinda out of the way for me... more in the area between DC and Baltimore or west of Baltimore as far as Fredrick.

If you are intrested in a G22 I have a like new Gen 3 with night sights for 375!

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks six6nine9. That's a good price. The glock is a solid platform with lots of aftermarket available. Some of the stuff from lone Wolf looked pretty nice. One of my thoughts had been to get a g22, which is cheaper than the 35, and replace the upper with lone Wolf g35 upper later.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Also, fyi, did just receive my HQL in the mail this past weekend.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I've been to both OnTarget in Severn as well as The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick. Both have a good selection of handguns that you can try out. However, the last time I went there, OnTarget did not allow any rifles to be used on their range. So if you every want to rent and try rifles at an indoor range, then TMGN could be one of your choices.

Choose whichever range is closest to you, and has the handguns you want to try out, and you can't go wrong. Let us know what you eventually decide to get!

Cal68

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    One thing I like about renting at On Target is that they only charge you once for as many different guns as you want to try. Try one, bring it back, pick out another, no extra charge. Except if/when you need more ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom