• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slimm2

Jan 1, 2013
    GAITHERSBURG
    I recently purchased a RRA LAR Ar10 and have not put any optics on it yet. The question I have is what scope would someone recommend and why?

I currently have a Savage 308 Model 10 McMillan with a model 12 fluted barrel. I have a Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 scope on it and it works great. I was wondering since the new weapon is an Ar10 if their is any specific type of scope I should be looking at.
    Also where is a good place to purchase one.

Thank you Kindly

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Weaver 4-20x50 FFP, I just happen to have one for sale haha.

It really depends on what you will be using the rifle for.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I recently purchased a RRA LAR Ar10 and have not put any optics on it yet. The question I have is what scope would someone recommend and why?

I currently have a Savage 308 Model 10 McMillan with a model 12 fluted barrel. I have a Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 scope on it and it works great. I was wondering since the new weapon is an Ar10 if their is any specific type of scope I should be looking at.
    Also where is a good place to purchase one.

Thank you Kindly

Well, I have a Nikon M-308 4X16X42 mounted on my Savage 10 FCP-SR and I'm reasonably happy with it (even though it is specifically designed as a "Precision AR Optic" for the AR-10 shooting the 168 grain SMK). It comes with a 20-MOA slope mounting system that would go right on the flat-top of your LAR. The scope and mount seem to be of pretty good quality. The turret adjustment works pretty much as advertised, although my longer range groups when doped for elevation print a bit high (probably because I've got a 24" barrel on the Savage). I'll bet it would work pretty well on your RRA. Congrats on getting a great LAR.

Best,

St.243

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why not S&B?? :)

LOTS of scope choices. How do you plan on using the rifle? Hunting? Target? Tactical comps? What range?

I am a BIG fan of Vortex right now. Good scopes, great features, very good price, and SUPERB warranty.

slimm2

Jan 1, 2013
    GAITHERSBURG
    Pinecone,
    I plan on mostly using the gun for shooting at the range. I would/will like to shoot from 200 yards up to 1000 or as far as I can get. As far as the Vortex they seem to be excellent scopes. Still trying to figure out what power to get and also where to get it at!
    Thanks,
    Slimm2

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Out to 1000 yards, I like my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x FFP scope.

You will need a 20 MOA mount to get out to the really long ranges. At 1200 yards, with my .308 bolt gun, I needed to dail the max of the scope (with 20 MOA rail) and still hold over .5 mil.

Then you have to decide whether you want mil or MOA scope. If you are going to do tactical type shooting, most people shoot mil, so calls are made in mil.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Save your money. Buy a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 ($430) or 6.5-20x50 ($460)Dead Hold-BDC. If you want to shoot at sniper ranges then yes 20 MOA offset rings and a good 6-24x50 like a Bushnell Elite Tactical or a Vortex Viper PST would get in under a reasonable budget. I prefer Mil and FFP but can do without the later if needed.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e99npoob7b8249f2&llr=chaiuhjab

Peacemaker is having a long range match 8/24&25 out to 1200 yards. If you want to check out a lot of nice scopes and setups, maybe spectate the match one day. Sure some if not most competitors will answer some questions and let you look thru their scopes. From the handful of LR matches I have done, Nightforce 5.5-22x50 or 56 has a pretty good market share but there are lots of options.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda

Awesome scope for longer ranges, and terribly underrated by glass snobs IMO. For anywhere near the price, there is not much with the same quality, clarity and usefulness of this Bushnell... maybe the Vortex PST scopes, but I prefer Bushnell. Unless I was looking for something smaller, this is the exact scope I would probably be using on a .308 AR...

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    I have been using Nikon's M-308 on 2 different rifles with excellent success hunting and at the range. Hard to beat Spot On for dialing in the BDC accuracy of your rifle,scope and ammo.

dave2rifles.png

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    At least not until you change elevation or the load you shoot. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom