• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    So I got a $300 gift certificate for FreeState for Father's Day and I have a couple $120 rebate cards from Verizon. I'm looking for some suggestions for possible purchases that I can try out at the range to see if I like them. Any ideas that I can compare? Was thinking about something for home, but something I might be able to carry if I'm ever out and about in 'Murica or......if for some crazy reason, this state ever decides to come out of the dark ages and join modern times.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Well, your going to get a lot of opinions. I'd tryeveything that you can. If you are going to carry, you may want to consider the sub-compacts and compact pistols.

As for my opinion, I like hammer fired DA/SA pistols. CZ P-01 is my personal choice. There is also the polymer CZ P-07, Sigs, and FNS/X that I would carry as well. Then there is the plethora of striker fired pistols like Glock, XDM, etc.

Good luck on your choice.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    S&W shield, G19, G26, G43 etc...many compacts out there.

For carrying, it really depends on your body type, among many other factors, round capacity, ergos, etc....

I'm 6'1 medium build, so am able to conceal a full size M&P 9mm almost as well as a glock 19.
    My hands are too big for a G26 without the pinky extension, and I don't like the round capacity of the new G43 (Gasp!!)
    Since I already had a full size M&P, I chose G19 over the S&W shield.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So I got a $300 gift certificate for FreeState for Father's Day and I have a couple $120 rebate cards from Verizon. I'm looking for some suggestions for possible purchases that I can try out at the range to see if I like them. Any ideas that I can compare? Was thinking about something for home, but something I might be able to carry if I'm ever out and about in 'Murica or......if for some crazy reason, this state ever decides to come out of the dark ages and join modern times.

Walther PPQ:

ppqm2-specs.jpg

Sig SP2022:

E2022-9-BSS-LARGE.jpg

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Would you say the VP9 would conceal as well as a ppq? Not the 5 inch like mine you shot, but standard PPQM2.

Depends on the individuals size. For me it would. The standard ppq and the vp9 are darn near the same size!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    G19 and be done with it. It fits the "keep in home" use as well as a possible CCW weapon.

If you want something a bit smaller maybe look into FNS Compact or MP Compact. The new P30K looks attractive as well but might stretch the budget.

If you aren't a Glock person then the VP9, PPQ, FNS, Sig 229, all fit the bill. All are at home in a safe waiting to defend yourself from aliens and can be concealed (some better then others) without much hype.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    You want opinions? I have an opinion on every topic under the sun...but I'll keep to handguns.

I'm very fond of the CZ's and the Springfield XDm and XDs. Sig's and HK's were mentioned and are fine examples of top-shelf stuff. How any of them may suit you or feel in your hand is only answered by you. Get out there and try 'em all.

I assume you have you're HQL that allows you to own a handgun in Maryland.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    You want opinions? I have an opinion on every topic under the sun...but I'll keep to handguns.

I'm very fond of the CZ's and the Springfield XDm and XDs. Sig's and HK's were mentioned and are fine examples of top-shelf stuff. How any of them may suit you or feel in your hand is only answered by you. Get out there and try 'em all.

I assume you have you're HQL that allows you to own a handgun in Maryland.

To add to my previous thoughts on how any gun feels, I wanted to say how both of those I've mentioned are nearly on target when I draw from a holster and point. The Glocks and 1911 are uncomfortable and unnatural for me to put the front sight on target. Sad, but those two are fine firearms, but they are not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom