• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Search AR pistol. Read all the threads about them.

Look at all the examples members here have built

Finally, decide what you want and open your wallet.

I am now 4 months into buying all my parts for a 9mm build. I have been reading about each compoment as I make my decisions. The trigger is my last part. I came up with the look I wanted at the beginning and have pretty much kept with that.

Good luck

Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    What all do I need to do from a legality standpoint? I plan on doing a 5.56 build so I don't see it being much different than the ar-15 rifles I have. I just want the shorter barrel

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    What all do I need to do from a legality standpoint? I plan on doing a 5.56 build so I don't see it being much different than the ar-15 rifles I have. I just want the shorter barrel

The biggest difference is that there is no stock. Otherwise you can really do what you want.

You can build on a new lower receiver.
    No length restrictions.
    No copycat restrictions.
    You can shoulder a Sig brace.

Have fun. Hope this helps

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    So, anyone know anything about the legality of a home-made brace?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    What all do I need to do from a legality standpoint?

You need to build the pistol on a lower that has never been a rifle. What "been a rifle" means is a subject of some debate since the ATF has given several answers at several different times. Sometimes they say that it means that there has never been a stock attached, and sometimes they specifically say "barreled as a rifle."

If you really want to CYA, start with a lower that was transferred to you as "Other" (which any lower should have been) and that has never been built as a rifle. Although the only legal requirement for it being a pistol is that it not have a stock, most people (both to be safe legally and for comfort / ease of shooting) will use a dedicated pistol buffer tube that can't accept a standard stock. Most of these will come with some sort of foam cover, and many of them will accept the SIG brace, which is not itself a stock either.

Then you build it. :)

If I were only going to build one, I'd do at least a 10.5" barrel as well, just on the odd chance that I'd ever want to suppress it, since every suppressor I can think of requires a minimum 10.5" bbl for 5.56.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Engage Armament down in Rockville is working on a 9mm lower that will take Colt SMG mags. Engage have done a lot of leading in the fight for our rights in this state, and the ownership are currently spending their own cash to fight lawsuits in court over the BS interpretations of SB218 as they apply to ARs and AR lowers.

Their lower isn't ready yet, but I'm not buying one until their's is, because that's where I'm going to spend my cash.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One clarification, if you build it first as a pistol, it can be converted to a rifle and then back to a pistol.

If first built as rifle, has to stay a rifle (or SBR).

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    So, anyone know anything about the legality of a home-made brace?

Well, it won't have a "Get out of jail free!" card from BATF stating that this particular brace is not a stock. That's rather important to me, but I'm not the gambling type.

I'm inclined to believe that a home-made brace would be legal if it's intended usage is other than as a stock, but you may also become a test-case to explore that possibility and create a court ruling one way or the other. And if you primarily use your home-made brace as a stock, it may be hard for you convince a court that you didn't really intend it to be a stock.

I'm going to stick with the ones that BATF has blessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom