• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    It may be thay everyone just loves their target rugers but why do the 1911 .22 kits get no love? Just curious as I'm getting a 1911 and was hoping to pick up a kit for some budget 1911 practice.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013

It may be thay everyone just loves their target rugers but why do the 1911 .22 kits get no love? Just curious as I'm getting a 1911 and was hoping to pick up a kit for some budget 1911 practice.

1911s are pricey to begin with. Then you need to get the kit on top of that. It makes sense if you already own, compete with, or carry a 1911 as a duty weapon, of course.

Still, for coolness, a 1911 is hard to beat.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I have a Ruger M II and a 22/45. The M II is super accurate. But I bought the 22/45 to use a Sparrow on. Some of the slower ammo I've used with the can does not have enough blow back. Like others stated, they can be a real "Dog's Mother" to reassemble. The first time, after ten tries, I took it into Atlantic let them laugh at me as Dale slapped it back together in a few seconds.

waffle king

You serious Clark?
    Feb 7, 2013
    SoMD
    Love my M&P 22. Took it out for first time today and shot about a brick of cheap federal through it with only 1 feed issue all day. Bought the M&P because it's one of the few that isn't sensitive to cheap ammo.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I like things that are simple, "bullet proof" & accurate...

So I have a Ruger 22/45 Mark 2, the Mark 3 is also good...

There are umpteen videos on YouTube to show you how to re-assemble them...

Do one step, freeze the video & get ready for the next step, there are NO difficult steps...

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Ruger MKIII, great gun, reliable, feeds everything I've ever tried, and that's usually just whatever ammo was the cheapest. I dont think I've ever had a failure to fire or eject. Its also very accurate. I have the target version with the bull barrel.
    +1 Extremely accurate!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    1911s are pricey to begin with. Then you need to get the kit on top of that. It makes sense if you already own, compete with, or carry a 1911 as a duty weapon, of course.

Still, for coolness, a 1911 is hard to beat.

That's just it I already have one and would prefer to be able to practice reloads and with the same trigger. Plus I love 1911s.

Mooseman did let me try two ruger target pistols that were truely a blast but if I were to try a rimfire steel match as long as it did not put me at a huge disadvantage I would prefer to stay with a 1911.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If you want a .22 conversion for a 1911, there's Marvel...and everything else. I'd buy the Marvel.

Mowog

Dec 1, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    I bought a Browning Buckmark to shoot bulk 22. Very fine pistol. I put a 22LR conversion kit on my sig P226, but like the Mosquito, it only likes HV ammo like CCI tactical. If I could get premium 22LR I would have paid the premium and keep using the conversion . The problem is I can't. I bought a can of 2100 federal bulk from Cabelas in January, and it was either sell the ammo or get something that will shoot it.

In these times flexibility helps. I found a beautiful rossi pump 22 (clone of Winchester 62) that shoots any short, long, or long rifle 22. I have the Buckmark for bulk RL, and my P226 conversion for the good stuff.

I put a picatinny bridge on the Buckmark with a red dot sight, and it is fun!

If you haven't gotten another 22 pistol, I would narrow it down to the good suggestions, and see what you can find.

Bob

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If you want a .22 conversion for a 1911, there's Marvel...and everything else. I'd buy the Marvel.
    The Marvel is basically a S&W 41 that goes on your 1911 frame. They are notoriously accurate and reliable with no MSP wait.
    is this actually legal?

Yes it has been ruled that a pistol can be converted into a carbine and back just not visa versa.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Cz75 with Kadet kit. Once I got it I sold my Ruger MkIII and never looked back. Mags are expensive but the gun is extremely reliable with bulk ammo and accurate. Plus then you have a great 9mm as well.

Also have a 617. Works very well as a practice gun for a 686.

+1:thumbsup: CZs are fantastic.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    sbr

I'm not a lawyer. Caveat emptor.

If a firearm, as defined as the receiver, is first assembled and made operational as a pistol you can make it into a rifle later without paying a tax. To do the opposite, you have to send ATF money and go through the process on their website. Yada Yada

Feb 28, 2013
    I am looking to buy a 22 pistol. I had the Mosquito and could not get it to function correctly so I got rid of it. Has anyone had any good luck with any one particular brand or model, if so please let me know. Thanks

Have you ever thought about the Ruger Single Six? I know you said you're looking for a pistol and that's a single action revolver. But a lot of shops have them. They also come with an extra cylinder so you can shoot either .22 LR or WMR, since .22 LR ammo is hard to find these days.

fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013

I own a Sig Sauer 1911 in .22lr and love it.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Hard to be a Buckmark - reasonably price, great customer service, reliable and accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom