Loose Powder And Speed Loaders ? I Don't Think So.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    For those of you who get tired of measuring your loose Muzzloader powder in to "Speed-Loaders" when at the range, I can not stand it. I bought another 100 grain spout and valve combo from Track Of The Wolf and it showed up this morning, so, I throwed it up on the CB Radio work bench andI mounted this valve and spout on a 16 oz Corn Syrup bottle. Tip & Pour is smooth and fast.

This is the second one I have made with the valve and spout. The first one I used a hot sauce bottle. They make shooting time less wasteful.

Yes I use loose powder. I am very anti-pellet after much bad experience with them.

Attachments

• DSC03192.JPG
      DSC03192.JPG
      65.4 KB · Views: 309

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    For those of you who get tired of measuring your loose Muzzloader powder in to "Speed-Loaders" when at the range, I can not stand it. I bought another 100 grain spout and valve combo from Track Of The Wolf and it showed up this morning, so, I throwed it up on the CB Radio work bench andI mounted this valve and spout on a 16 oz Corn Syrup bottle. Tip & Pour is smooth and fast.

This is the second one I have made with the valve and spout. The first one I used a hot sauce bottle. They make shooting time less wasteful.

Yes I use loose powder. I am very anti-pellet after much bad experience with them.

I'm with you on the loose powder, just so long as it's REAL BP!!!:D

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm with you on the loose powder, just so long as it's REAL BP!!!:D

I'm "currently" still a religious Pyrodex RS guy, but, I'm willing to try one of these two newer powders I have heard about recently, however, I have no desire to promote any pellets of any kind to anyone. just hate seeing guys waste money like that.

My buddy is a pellet shooter and he can shoot up his whole box of pellets in one shooting. I buy a 1 pound jar of RS and shoot until I can't stand it anymore and it still lasts me a few years. My loose powder always goes BANG. His pellets make all kinds of funny noise and sometimes they come out of the barrel and drop on the ground smoking. LOL I keep shaking my head at him and he keeps buying that crap.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Have you tried Blackhorn 209?

I have not. Not yet anyway. I was also turned on to a new powder by Alliant called Black MZ I never knew that existed until a few months ago. I am not, of course, going to waste two good bottles of Pyrodex RS to try the other brands, I certainly am leaning towards that Black MZ, but, when they day comes that I run out RS I will consider trying something else.

EDIT: Out of pure curiosity, I just called the local gun shop, and they have the Black MZ for $32.99 / LB

I mean, my one bottle of Pyrodex RS is still good... It's only from December 1986

Yes it still goes BANG. Yes, I do hunt with it.

Attachments

• DSC03193.JPG
      DSC03193.JPG
      69.4 KB · Views: 238

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Best ml powder I have is n120. No cleaning between shots. :D

I have never heard of the N120 ? Who makes that ?

I only have to clean my rifles about 15 to 20 shots and that's only out of making myself comfortable. That's also another reason why I use only Harvester Crush Rib sabots and not that solid plastic crap you get with commercial muzzleloader bullets like the old school green and black Hornady sabots.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Best ml powder I have is n120. No cleaning between shots. :D

I hope your are joking or your muzzleloader has a smokeless barrel on it.
    Vihtavuori Powder
    The N100 series powders are single base powders used mainly in rifle calibers. There are ten N100 series powders with different burning rates and suitability from the .17 Remington up to the .458 Winchester Magnum and two special powders for .50 BMG

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    It's a savage smokeless powder muzzle loader. Put together a nice load using a harvester sabot and a barnes original 300gr bullet.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I still have a brass powder carrier/measure I got 25+ years ago. It still works great, and I still have some ff and fff that I shoot with, I have yet to try the pellets (don't really want to), and have yet to try any of the new loose powders.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I still have a brass powder carrier/measure I got 25+ years ago. It still works great, and I still have some ff and fff that I shoot with, I have yet to try the pellets (don't really want to), and have yet to try any of the new loose powders.

I am willing to try that new BLACK MZ from Alliant. I'm stuck on my RS due to experience with it, but, if that B-MZ is a s clean as guys claim, I'm all over it. I have been using my old can of 1986 RS for reloading some 12 gauge shotshells and trying to use it up. I do hunt with it and it's fine, but, I like pulling the trigger on that Mossberg 500 and watching the smoke blow LOL.

As far as my views, opinions, and experiences with Pellets... I won't make any friends with that discussion, but, guys use it and good luck to them with that. I don't like that 50/50 chance of my gun not going BOOM when I pull the trigger. With pellets you just never know. I especially find it hilarious when you pull the pull the trigger and a pellets goes smoking out the muzzle like a little smoke bomb... sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom