• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That would be argued under the banner of state's rights. Not even a federal law allowing permitless carry would work as such a law would pertain to federal property only...not state. I think only a SCOTUS decision would make it nationwide...and even then would be subject to many exceptions such as government buildings and reservations and such.

Basically...don't count on it happening.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Interesting that the state of Luziana goes Senate first, then to the House. I don’t know enough about government to know if that’s unusual or not.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    That would be argued under the banner of state's rights. Not even a federal law allowing permitless carry would work as such a law would pertain to federal property only...not state. I think only a SCOTUS decision would make it nationwide...and even then would be subject to many exceptions such as government buildings and reservations and such.

How does the licensing of drivers work under a States Rights scenario? Wasn't that a similar type of legislative endeavor?

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Reciprocity which unfortunately is not recognized by the feds or state governments for firearms…except where there have been agreements between states. For national reciprocity…it would take a SCOTUS decision forcing it...and then it would likely be full of exemptions.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Interesting that the state of Luziana goes Senate first, then to the House. I don’t know enough about government to know if that’s unusual or not.
    Standard process for a Bicameral legislature (same format as Maryland, the US Congress, and all states except Nebraska):

1. Chamber of Origin introduces, debates, and passes a bill
    2. Chamber of Origin sends passed bill to the Opposing Chamber
    3. Opposing Chamber debates and passes, amends, or denies the bill:
    3a. If passed, bill goes back to Chamber of Origin for final processing and presentation to the Executive
    3b. If amended, bill goes back to Chamber of Origin for a concurrence debate and vote on the amendments; if passed, it goes to final processing and presentation to the Executive; if it fails, it is dead.
    3c. If denied, the bill is dead

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD

Wait your saying Firearms are state rights and the feds cant override states?
    Respectfully I disagree. The constitution would say different. Now granted its not treated that way.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Respectfully I disagree. The constitution would say different. Now granted its not treated that way.

Federal laws cover federal jurisdictions...state laws cover the rest...which is by far most of the country. That's why some states have legalized marijuana but federal law still prohibits it...thus there's the issue where one can possess it legally in a state but be arrested by agents of the feds.

Yes...there is federal supremacy but a court decides that. I agree the Constitution gives reciprocity between states and should recognize firearm carrying like they do drivers permits...but the reality is they don't. That's why I believe it would take a no nonsense and unambiguous SCOTUS decision to get all the states in line with reciprocity. And I still believe SCOTUS would allow for numerous exemptions where guns could be prohibited by otherwise lawful citizens. With a mixed Court...even if Constitutional Justices were in the majority...some (think John Roberts)...might not go along with a vote for unambiguous Constitutional Carry nationwide without some restrictions.

Just trying to be real here...this would be where a half a loaf is better than no loaf at all. Then you do like the Liberals do...come back next year for the rest.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Respectfully I disagree. The constitution would say different.

Federal laws cover federal jurisdictions...state laws cover the rest...which is by far most of the country. That's why some states have legalized marijuana but federal law still prohibits it...thus there's the issue where one can possess it legally in a state but be arrested by agents of the feds.

Yes...there is federal supremacy but a court decides that. I agree the Constitution gives reciprocity between states and should recognize firearm carrying like they do drivers permits...but the reality is they don't. That's why I believe it would take a no nonsense and unambiguous SCOTUS decision to get all the states in line with reciprocity. And I still believe SCOTUS would allow for numerous exemptions where guns could be prohibited by otherwise lawful citizens. With a mixed Court...even if Constitutional Justices were in the majority...some (think John Roberts)...might not go along with a vote for unambiguous Constitutional Carry nationwide without some restrictions.

Just trying to be real here...this would be where a half a loaf is better than no loaf at all. Then you do like the Liberals do...come back next year for the rest.
    I dont dissagree with that assessment at all. Even if SCOTUS rules it seems no one listens to them anymore. I agree that states dont treat it like the constitution says it does either.
    I guess the short version is we do actually agree.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Advanced to the House floor.

Today, the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee passed the NRA-backed constitutional carry legislation, Senate Bill 1, by a 10-3 vote. The bill now heads to the House floor for a final vote this week. SB 1 was passed by the Senate last week with overwhelming support. It is possible that weakening amendments could be proposed, and your state representative needs to hear from you now!

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Louisiana House passed it today. Headed to the Governor.

Today, the House voted 75-28 to pass Senate Bill 1, the NRA-backed constitutional carry legislation that passed the Senate last week. With that, Louisiana has taken another significant step towards becoming the 28th constitutional/permitless carry state. The bill is now headed to the desk of Governor Jeff Landry, who has pledged to sign the bill into law.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    He signed ya bill, is you’re a law!

signed today. Takes effect… iirc July timeframe

And libtards are shakin and quakin!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From CCRKBA

IMG_3497.jpeg

CCRKBA APPLAUDS LOUISIANA GOV. LANDRY FOR SIGNING ‘CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY’​

Mar 5, 2024 | 0 comments
    BELLEVUE, WA – The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is congratulating Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry for signing a “Constitutional Carry” bill Tuesday, fulfilling his promise to voters to champion their right to keep and bear arms.
    With Landry’s signature, Louisiana becomes the 28th state to adopt “permitless carry,” and CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb said the remaining states, by declining to adopt similar laws, are “essentially telling their residents they are second-class citizens.”
    “Louisiana lawmakers and Gov. Landry have taken a bold step for public safety,” Gottlieb stated. “Meanwhile, legislatures and governors in the remaining 22 holdout states are signaling that they do not trust their citizens with the most fundamental right of all, the right of self-defense. What a shameful message to telegraph to the people they are elected to serve.”
    Louisiana now joins Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming where Constitutional Carry is the law. The Louisiana law fittingly becomes effective July 4.
    “At the time of the Founding,” Gottlieb noted, “citizens of the newly-established United States did not need permits to carry firearms for personal protection. They would have considered such a requirement to be absurd. You should not need a government permit to exercise a constitutionally-enshrined right. Today, more than half of the states have returned to this baseline of liberty, and we can only hope that the remaining states will soon amend their narrow attitudes about Second Amendment rights.
    “After all,” he observed, “criminals don’t bother with permits, or any of the other restrictive gun laws that have prevented honest citizens from defending themselves and their families. Our hats are off to Louisiana lawmakers and especially Gov. Jeff Landry for fulfilling his promise to sign permitless carry into law.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom