• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quake

Feb 23, 2016
    Maryland
    Can any one tell me why my stripped lower receiver would be held up by the MSP, But everything else was cleared.
    And i recently purchased a colt 6721 about a month and a half ago.
    Bah

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If you pass a NICS and MSP holds you it's usually a juvenile issue. Were you charged as a juvenile with anything? I believe if it's a 2 year sentence or more you can't posses firearms in MD until you are 30 or it might be older.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Can any one tell me why my stripped lower receiver would be held up by the MSP, But everything else was cleared.
    Bah

How long ago did you purchase the lower?

Quake

Feb 23, 2016
    Maryland
    Was told by the dealer it was on hold by the MSP and yes it has been 7 days.
    I was planning on building a 300 blackout, allready bought my bcm lower enhnaced parts kit, was about to get the spikes tactical ST T2 buffer kit, but it's on hold now i guess............

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    If you have a common name like "Joe Smith" for example that could be the reason. A friend of mine gets put on hold every time because his name is very common.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    If not denied the ffl can transfer it to you. I've heard ffls tell people that things are illegal that are not, they just violate their store policy.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    how long is it held up?? you can transfer after 7 days

i could be backlog after Orlando and the Ban scare

If not denied the ffl can transfer it to you. I've heard ffls tell people that things are illegal that are not, they just violate their store policy.

If it is placed "ON HOLD" by MSP (the dealer got a call from MSP to place this potential transaction "ON HOLD"), it is "ON HOLD" until MSP determines final status of the applicant, if the applicant can receive the regulated item or not. Usually these scenarios (on holds) will be cleared up within a few weeks; some may take many months or longer. Once this "ON HOLD" happens, the dealer is NOT permitted to dispose of the item to the applicant until AFTER MSP returns the application to the dealer stating "NOT DISAPPROVED". Bear in mind, by MSP notifying the dealer that the applicant has been placed on hold and that occurred within the 7 day period, MSP was on time with a response.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    yes me and my son have the same name

My father and I have the same name and haven't had a problem...we've even been on concurrent waiting periods. Admittedly, our name is not very common on this side of the ocean.

Are you and your son designated collectors? If not, is it possible that he made a regulated purchase in the last 30 and they want to make sure it's not you?

My very first handgun purchase was delayed:mad54: I feel for you. Best of luck.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If you have a common name like "Joe Smith" for example that could be the reason. A friend of mine gets put on hold every time because his name is very common.

Shouldn't the hql have "fixed" this? I mean, with driver's license, social security, AND hql numbers, they should be able to figure out who you are without even looking at your name, right? :sad20:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    If it is placed "ON HOLD" by MSP (the dealer got a call from MSP to place this potential transaction "ON HOLD"), it is "ON HOLD" until MSP determines final status of the applicant, if the applicant can receive the regulated item or not. Usually these scenarios (on holds) will be cleared up within a few weeks; some may take many months or longer. Once this "ON HOLD" happens, the dealer is NOT permitted to dispose of the item to the applicant until AFTER MSP returns the application to the dealer stating "NOT DISAPPROVED". Bear in mind, by MSP notifying the dealer that the applicant has been placed on hold and that occurred within the 7 day period, MSP was on time with a response.
    Okay sorry, never heard of this scenario.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Are you and your son designated collectors? If not, is it possible that he made a regulated purchase in the last 30 and they want to make sure it's not you.

The one every 30 days will get a response from MSP that says "Do not transfer the firearm until [insert date here]. We have a guy now that thought his C&R meant Designated Collector. We can't transfer his handgun for another 3 weeks.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The one every 30 days will get a response from MSP that says "Do not transfer the firearm until [insert date here]. We have a guy now that thought his C&R meant Designated Collector. We can't transfer his handgun for another 3 weeks.

Interesting...that is actually more reasonable than I expected MSP to be in such a situation. I just figured you'd be denied and have to figure it out for yourself...but the BGOS is strong with me.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Okay sorry, never heard of this scenario.

No problem. I know for fact that this "ON HOLD" status by MSP hasn't been tossed around on this forum much at all over the years; as to the best of my recollection, this is the first time it's been brought up in any detail here on MDS since I've been on board (2010).

Hey Chuck, ya' gotta' ask the applicant if they KNOW the difference between a C&R (collector) issued by ATF and "Designated Collector" issued by MSP when the question comes up. About 1/4 of the applicants don't know the difference.

Interesting...that is actually more reasonable than I expected MSP to be in such a situation. I just figured you'd be denied and have to figure it out for yourself...but the BGOS is strong with me.

MSP L&R isn't our enemy, personally they're on our side more than you know. They are actually quite easy to deal with shy of availability on the telephone.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Hey Chuck, ya' gotta' ask the applicant if they KNOW the difference between a C&R (collector) issued by ATF and "Designated Collector" issued by MSP when the question comes up. About 1/4 of the applicants don't know the difference.

We ask but something the customers know more than we do... LOL

MSP L&R isn't our enemy, personally they're on our side more than you know. They are actually quite easy to deal with shy of availability on the telephone.

I totally agree. People like to bash them because they don't agree with, or are incapable of comprehending, what they're doing. All the folks at Licensing are very helpful to us, anyway, and I haven't run across anyone who isn't willing o help us out when they can.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Bah

The complete rifle (colt 6721) is sold in MD with just a NICS instant background check through the FBI. It follows the federal rules.

A stripped lower in MD is sold with the MD Regulated Firearms (form 77r, handgun) background check. It follows MD's rules, which are stricter than the federal rules.
    Over the years, things like minor assault charges in md, have had their max penalties increased, enough to now be prohibiting. Also, out of state convictions that are not prohibiting in those states or under federal law, can prohibit you under md law. An example would simple assault in VA, which can just be a fine in VA, but md's lowest assault charge is 2nd degree assault which is a max of 10 years, so md says the va crime is equivalent to that. This is a common problem.

Additionally, in 2013, some PBJ's became prohibitors. Mostly any PBJ for a "crime of violence".

I purchased it a week ago, I have been in trouble when i was young but nothing serious.
    Im 56 years old

You would have to be more specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom