• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    A buddy sold me his BNIB Burris RT-6 for $140. For that amount, I said why not. First time trying out an LPVO so I have nothing to compare it to. I am digging it. Nice big field of view at 1X and both eyes open. Glass clear as can be.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A buddy sold me his BNIB Burris RT-6 for $140. For that amount, I said why not. First time trying out an LPVO so I have nothing to compare it to. I am digging it. Nice big field of view at 1X and both eyes open. Glass clear as can be.
    That is a phenomenal deal... those go for more than double that online. It is probably the best starter 3gun scope out there.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Got my Vortex Viper PST GEN II 1-6x24 today, along with a Vortex cantilever mount. The scope is bigger than I though it would be. First impression looking through it; very, very sharp and clear. The red dot is effective. I like that every other position on the red dot turns it off so you don't have to rotate through the whole thing to get to your setting.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    That new or used ? P4xi for 589 vs pst viper 1-6 for 599 would be a tough call for me.

Link ?
    New. This is a pretty typical price as long as you are shopping at a larger retailer or drop shipper. At any rate, I think it would come down to weight and intended use. Neither has an advanced BDC or fancy reticle, both have good warranties (vortex prob has slightly better customer service), and both have very bright red dots. Glass/user experience is good for the category on both. If I were putting it on a lighter weight rifle, or one that wouldn’t be used much past 300 yards, P4Xi. If I were putting it on a less weight conscious firearm, one that might be used to 400-500 yards, and/or would need the increased magnification for target ID, I would go with the vortex.

Realistically I think weight is the biggest distinguishing factor between the two.

Be advised that Dvor is owned by Optics Planet and occasionally plays weird games with shipping. As in you might order something that says it is in stock only to find out they were drop shipping it from the manufacturer and now your wait is 2 months. If that happens and the timeline is unacceptable or pisses you off, it is easy to cancel your order though.
    https://www.dvor.com/steiner-1-4x24...?promotion=high-end-riflescopes-42-2021-03-29

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    New. This is a pretty typical price as long as you are shopping at a larger retailer or drop shipper. At any rate, I think it would come down to weight and intended use. Neither has an advanced BDC or fancy reticle, both have good warranties (vortex prob has slightly better customer service), and both have very bright red dots. Glass/user experience is good for the category on both. If I were putting it on a lighter weight rifle, or one that wouldn’t be used much past 300 yards, P4Xi. If I were putting it on a less weight conscious firearm, one that might be used to 400-500 yards, and/or would need the increased magnification for target ID, I would go with the vortex.

Realistically I think weight is the biggest distinguishing factor between the two.

Be advised that Dvor is owned by Optics Planet and occasionally plays weird games with shipping. As in you might order something that says it is in stock only to find out they were drop shipping it from the manufacturer and now your wait is 2 months. If that happens and the timeline is unacceptable or pisses you off, it is easy to cancel your order though.
    https://www.dvor.com/steiner-1-4x24...?promotion=high-end-riflescopes-42-2021-03-29

Your replies have helped me tons in my thought processes regarding things on several posts on these forums. Everywhere I’ve been seeing the p4xi , it’s been more than the viper in price, that’s why I was surprised to see it a bit below.

As example here it is on midway USA going for 800 dollars. This one appears to come with a throw lever, the one on dvor doesn’t. Maybe different model ? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101718348?pid=368015

Even optics planet themselves want 640 for it. 598 for viper, no codes applied .
    Thanks a lot ��

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Your replies have helped me tons in my thought processes regarding things on several posts on these forums. Everywhere I’ve been seeing the p4xi , it’s been more than the viper in price, that’s why I was surprised to see it a bit below.

As example here it is on midway USA going for 800 dollars. This one appears to come with a throw lever, the one on dvor doesn’t. Maybe different model ? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101718348?pid=368015

Even optics planet themselves want 640 for it. 598 for viper, no codes applied .
    Thanks a lot ��
    Happy to help.

The model I linked to that includes the throw lever is the 5202, it is advertised as for “law enforcement.” The other model is the 5201. The only difference as far as I am aware is that the 5202 includes the throw lever and a cleaning cloth. It’s the exact same optic otherwise.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Happy to help.

The model I linked to that includes the throw lever is the 5202, it is advertised as for “law enforcement.” The other model is the 5201. The only difference as far as I am aware is that the 5202 includes the throw lever and a cleaning cloth. It’s the exact same optic otherwise.

About 20 dollars difference between dvor and optics planet. The optics planet 5% and 10% codes don’t work on dvor. What kind of business is that? They make it seem like limited time deals that change or something if the sort.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    About 20 dollars difference between dvor and optics planet. The optics planet 5% and 10% codes don’t work on dvor. What kind of business is that? They make it seem like limited time deals that change or something if the sort.
    Dvor used to be an overstock website where they would sell firearms related items well below MAP, but prices have crept up over the past few years. Now I’m not sure what they’re doing with it, but Optics Planet codes aren’t going to work on it.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The best 2 for the money are the Aero ultralight, if you want to keep light as possible, and the Larue CAN for most everything else.

I have two of the Aero ultralight mounts. They are excellent for what they are. BUT holy cow mounting the scope level in that mount is a freakin' nightmare.

No matter what you do when you torque down the screws it causes the scope to begin to cant. My solution ended up being to estimate the amount of cant and to line up the reticle with a plumb bob and gun vice. After a lot of cursing and wanting to burn it all down, I got them mounted. Never again.

Moving forward it's standard scope rings for me. The Nightforce Unimount, IMO, is one of the best ultralight mounts in the game, but it's expensive.

For the money though, It's hard to beat the Swampfox Independence mount. I recently helped a buddy mount a scope using one and was impressed. Pretty dang light, too, and none of the issues that I had with the Aero mount.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/independence-mount

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom