• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    Heck, since I’m asking stupid questions, let me ask one more. I use Dillon lube and wash the lube off using acetone. Does anyone have a better, easier, cheaper method?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Heck, since I’m asking stupid questions, let me ask one more. I use Dillon lube and wash the lube off using acetone. Does anyone have a better, easier, cheaper method?
    Dry tumble in corn cob media. Add a couple ounces of (real) mineral spirits for really big tumblers (like the big Dillon). One ounce for more normal size tumblers. Helps cut the lube and also minimizes dust when coupled with a dryer sheet cut in quarters.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I tumble with walnut(course) and mix New Finish car wax with mineral spirits to thin it a little. This is after sizing. Comes out looking brand new.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Not mine, I add a little brass polish when I dry tumble brass in it, but I mostly wet tumble brass to be cleaned from range pickups and such. I have been using the same bowl of corn cob for quite a while now with no replenishment or treatment other than a bit of brass polish on occasion.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    How long does it take to remove the case lube off cases when dry tumbling? I only wet tumble for 30 minutes w/o SS as a "deep clean" measure, then apply lube on cases, decap/resize, and brass prep. Would be nice if I could just refinish primed cases/loaded ammo with a dry tumbler.

I could also see myself just dry tumbling lightly soiled cases that never touch the ground that are shot from a bolt action/revolver.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I tumble for about an hour if I am just removing lube from cases that have already been 'cleaned'. I do the same with brass that has not been in the dirt (picked up off the concrete at the range and are just powder fouled). I may run fouled brass for two hours in the dry tumbler just to get it a bit cleaner, but it's not like wet tumbling with pins. I wet tumble anything that has dirt/sand/grit on them like range pickup pistol brass that I collect on occasion or severely dirty brass. I use sst pins so the brass comes out looking like new brass, inside and out.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    How long does it take to remove the case lube off cases when dry tumbling? I only wet tumble for 30 minutes w/o SS as a "deep clean" measure, then apply lube on cases, decap/resize, and brass prep. Would be nice if I could just refinish primed cases/loaded ammo with a dry tumbler.

I could also see myself just dry tumbling lightly soiled cases that never touch the ground that are shot from a bolt action/revolver.
    I dry tumble as described above after sizing operation. Usually 30-60 min. As your media gets loaded up with lube, a bit longer. But it takes a while to funk up as I only use the dry tumbler for lube removal. Switched to stainless pins in a wet tumbler for cleaning. Got sick of running through corn cob with all the scuzzy pistol brass.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I will add, I don't tumble primed brass, too much chance of contaminating or getting media in the primers. I use a Dillon for most common rifle/pistol loading so I would dry tumble the ammo after loading in that case. I wet tumble any real dirty/fouled brass then hand prime, run it on the Dillon to size/load it and then dry tumble it to remove any lube.

I may wet tumble, resize and then dry tumble some rifle brass just to brass prep it before loading if I am loading precision rifle ammo on the Rockchucker. I will then hand prime and charge/load it old school method.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Sounds good, i always opted to just rolling with my plinking reloads with case lube on them as they will get sooted up and washed again anyways, but I also reload things for the long term and it would be nice to make them pretty before storing them in an ammo can.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I will add, I don't tumble primed brass, too much chance of contaminating or getting media in the primers. I use a Dillon for most common rifle/pistol loading so I would dry tumble the ammo after loading in that case. I wet tumble any real dirty/fouled brass then hand prime, run it on the Dillon to size/load it and then dry tumble it to remove any lube.

I may wet tumble, resize and then dry tumble some rifle brass just to brass prep it before loading if I am loading precision rifle ammo on the Rockchucker. I will then hand prime and charge/load it old school method.
    ^^^This. Never tumble primed brass. There's absolutely no reason to.

ItsGarand

-> TEUFELSBERG <-
    May 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I use a clean cloth and 99% isopropyl alcohol. I always have some of that on hand since that is what I use to cut the lanolin for lube.

SlugCaster

Nov 14, 2016
    Dillon Case Lube is literally Lanolin and Alcohol. Soak them in 91 or 97% Alcohol and it'll wash right off.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why not just retumble(dry) before priming? The lube helps clean the brass even more. Comes out looking almost brand new.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    That's what I do. They aren't as "clean" as after wet tumbling but they are plenty clean for shooting. I pretty much only keep my dry tumbler for lube removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom