• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    All,

My brother in law is an active duty marine that just returned from Afghanistan. He has his heart set on an M-14 as his first privately owned rifle. I asked if he meant the Mini-14 and he said that no, he wants the big boy. I do not know enough about the rifle to help guide him as to where to purchase this etc and google keeps leading me to the fulton armory site.

Any ideas as to where to purchase, or prices?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Springfield is the most common and while not top notch should be GTG. They range from 1500-2800 pending on model.

The loaded model is around 1700ish and comes with some nice upgrades.

I'm guessing he'll want an EBR stock for the rifle to tacticool it out. In that case Springfield is probably the cheapest option.

There is a good M1A forum google it and search around.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Springfield Armory calls their version the M1A. http://www.springfield-armory.com/index.php In MD, this type of rifle is considered a regulated firearm, which means MD 77R forms and the $10 state police form and the seven day wait.

Interesting, since he is active duty, he doesn't have a DD214 to use as proof of training.

Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    So if I understand what I have read so far the M1A is practically the same rifle as the M-14, just in semi-auto form for 1/3 the price of the fulton armory m-14?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Real M14's are select fire. Not many around and very expensive.

SA's version is the M1A, Fulton calls their version M14.

SA sells M1A's of several grades or levels. There are high end target guns, there are basic rifles like a grunt would have been issues during Vietnam.

Fulton makes and sells fewer rifles, so they are little more $$ plus they seem to concentrate on competition guns.

What is the use of the rifle? Formal matches or fun shooting?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    An honest-to-goodness M-14 with full-auto capability is very expensive. As in $10K+, and they can no longer be manufactured for sale to tax peasants like you and me.

That being said, there are a bunch of M-14 clones that do not have full-auto capability. You may see them referred to as either M-14s or M-1As. Springfield Armory made their reputation on the M-1A clone. It's good, but not the best out there. Fulton Armory makes a clone, also. It's of better quality, at a correspondingly higher price. James River Armory does a good one, too.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    An honest-to-goodness M-14 with full-auto capability is very expensive. As in $10K+, and they can no longer be manufactured for sale to tax peasants like you and me.

That being said, there are a bunch of M-14 clones that do not have full-auto capability. You may see them referred to as either M-14s or M-1As. Springfield Armory made their reputation on the M-1A clone. It's good, but not the best out there. Fulton Armory makes a clone, also. It's of better quality, at a correspondingly higher price. James River Armory does a good one, too.

Serfs...let's start calling ourselves serfs :)

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    lets get this right folks
    M1A is the license of Springfield armory inc. they are the only ones allowed to use that name.
    all others of the same make-up are M14's. Those made my Fulton Armory, LRB and others are still m14's

and the US military still has M14's in front line units. The SEALS have had them for years and the crap in the stan has shown the the m16 doesn't have the range so the Marines pulled the ones from Navy inventory at Crane and else where did some tweaking and use them to reach out and tag targets.

LRB still makes theirs out of forging but they cost a lot. I still want one.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Currently many Semi Autos are in use with the army, and still maintain the name M14. Doesn't matter if it's full or semi, in fact I had to tell the soldier who taught me that, they did come in full auto back in the day. He was confused.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Springfield Armory calls their version the M1A. http://www.springfield-armory.com/index.php In MD, this type of rifle is considered a regulated firearm, which means MD 77R forms and the $10 state police form and the seven day wait.

Interesting, since he is active duty, he doesn't have a DD214 to use as proof of training.

Active Duty, Reserves and National Guard have a CAC (ID card). That's all they need to prove training.

walstib

Jul 4, 2010
    havre de grace
    m14

springfield armory m1a loaded can find a good deal on gunbroker.com .my buddy has one we had it up at elk neck outdoor range on friday stiching at 100 yds best bang for the buck:)

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    The M14 is full auto. I think India got the last of the ones in the US arsenal. Most of the M14s still in use are ceremonial, like at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Some have been redone and are in use by special ops.

M14 is rare to find full auto through the service. Most of them are semi and in the Navy they still have the ones with the gas key for unrep. They kept most of the full autos well hidden throughout the 90s but the semis are all over the place.

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    All USGI M-14's are "machine guns". There are not different versions. It's whether or not the selector switch is installed.
    Too bad. If there were different versions I would suppose the CMP could sell the semi- ones. As it is, once a machine gun, always a machine gun.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    CMP does sells M1A Parts Kit A & B.

Another great site: http://m14forum.com/

I wish I could afford this. Asking $3,000 at LRB.

831_M25_Tanker.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom