• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&WGirl06

Sep 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Added a new addition to the family. I am so excited! I have been wanting this for a while now. Stopped by my LGS and they had a great deal I couldn't pass it up....by the way per the rules that is my foot in the picture, but that is my husband ugly hand. hehe uploadfromtaptalk1481863100648.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Holy crazy title batman:whoa:

I just traded my shield last weekend. Then I bought a shield performance center last night. That was the plan :D

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    very nice. I do like that yours doesn't have the thumb lever safety at rear of slide.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yeah, damn auto correct. it is ridiculous sometimes... o wow, what is the difference between the two?

Performance center has a ported barrel and slide as well as an upgraded trigger and fiber optic sights. I got the version with tritium night sights though.

Smith-Wesson-Ported-Shield4.jpg

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Go handle the 45. Trigger is awesome and so it the texture of the grip.

Define "awesome" for me if you would please...??

I'm not trolling here, I'm serious, I own half a dozen M&P pistols including a Shield 9, and the out of the box triggers on all of them were uniformly terrible IMHO. Now, to be fair, "terrible" can mean different things to different people, but to sum it up, the factory trigger pull on all my guns was in the 7 lb. range, that's way too heavy for my tastes, and I prefer something more like 5 lbs.

Yes, that can be fairly easily rectified with the installation of an Apex Tactical AEK, which I've already done on all my M&P's, but Apex doesn't have the Shield .45 kit ready yet, it's still in the prototype stages and won't be available for some time.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Define "awesome" for me if you would please...??

I'm not trolling here, I'm serious, I own half a dozen M&P pistols including a Shield 9, and the out of the box triggers on all of them were uniformly terrible IMHO. Now, to be fair, "terrible" can mean different things to different people, but to sum it up, the factory trigger pull on all my guns was in the 7 lb. range, that's way too heavy for my tastes, and I prefer something more like 5 lbs.

Yes, that can be fairly easily rectified with the installation of an Apex Tactical AEK, which I've already done on all my M&P's, but Apex doesn't have the Shield .45 kit ready yet, it's still in the prototype stages and won't be available for some time.

The shield is purpose built as a defensive ccw pistol. Most of the reviews you'll read call the slightly heavy trigger pull "perfect" for this category.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    The shield is purpose built as a defensive ccw pistol. Most of the reviews you'll read call the slightly heavy trigger pull "perfect" for this category.

I'm aware of that, and so far as the Shield goes it's probably fine for most people as it is right out of the box. That being said, some of us like to tweak the trigger pull, yes even on purpose designed carry guns like the Shield, to suit our own specific needs and abilities, etc. The Apex kit brought the Shield 9mm factory pull down to just a hair over 5 lbs. which is perfect for me, it also smoothed the pull up considerably, but I'm not advocating a kit like this for every shield owner, I'm only relating what I prefer and what works for me.

That's why I was curious about what "awesome trigger" means with regard to the .45 Shield. Perhaps Montoya will read this and I'll be able to get his thoughts on this.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm aware of that, and so far as the Shield goes it's probably fine for most people as it is right out of the box. That being said, some of us like to tweak the trigger pull, yes even on purpose designed carry guns like the Shield, to suit our own specific needs and abilities, etc.

That's why I was curious about what "awesome trigger" means with regard to the .45 Shield. Perhaps Montoya will read this and I'll be able to get his thoughts on this.

That's cool. To each his own and to be honest carrying was never an option til I moved away from MD so I wouldn't have given the trigger pull any consideration.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Your Shield probably woudn't even function reliably with a 3 lb trigger, you'd have severe light strike problems.

OK, yet another good reason it's not 3lbs. To answer your original question, the trigger feels very linear, isn't overly gritty and has a clean break. Reset is reasonably short. I personally don't care much about grit or break on a carry gun, but hate stacking and long resets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom