• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hi all,
    Finally got my two tone M&P 9mm to the range this evening. It shoots fine - no problems except it ejects the spent brass straight back into my face or hitting me in the top of the head - every single round. My wife shot it with the same results. Is it a simple fix, normal, (I can't imagine it is), or should I contact Smith and Wesson? Just curious if anyone else had the same problem and how they resolved it. Thanks for any advice.

Rich

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Not normal. Sounds like some kind of issue with the extractor. I can tell you S&W has excellent customer service, should you need to send it in.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Sure you didn't get a Gen4 Glock? LOL.

I'd definitely contact S&W first. But FWIW, I've only heard good about Apex Tactical.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I will give them a call tomorrow. I was hoping it was something I could fix myself to avoid the hassle of sending it back to them. Which brings me to this question - will I have to go through a FFL to send it and have it returned if it does need to be sent back? Thanks.

Rich

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Thanks for the replies. I will give them a call tomorrow. I was hoping it was something I could fix myself to avoid the hassle of sending it back to them. Which brings me to this question - will I have to go through a FFL to send it and have it returned if it does need to be sent back? Thanks.

Rich

Nope.

You'll put it in a non-descript box, address it to SAW INC (not s&w), and drop it off at FedEx. S&W will keep it for a week or two, then send it back. You go pick it up at your local FedEx depot.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    They emailed a shipping label and I dropped it off at Fedex today. Now I have to wait for it again lol. Will update when I get it back.

buttersnipes

Dec 20, 2011
    Annapolis
    My M&P 9 also did this. Mine was pretty bad--it would fling empties at my head about 75% of the time, pretty much regardless of your normal garden-variety range ammo (Lawman, Federal American Eagle, WWB, PMC Bronze). +P Gold Dots actually ejected positively at 3 o'clock, but seeing as I can't afford to only shoot +P GDs, I figured I'd try my hand at fixing it. I tried the Apex extractor, new ejector, tried ejector profiling, but nothing seemed to work until I finally swapped in a 14lb Wolff recoil spring. Ejection still seems a bit weak, but they don't hit me anymore. I'd be curious to see what the factory did with yours when you get it back, keep us posted!

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I got it back the other day but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so will have to see if it is fixed or not. They put a note in the case that says they said they replaced the ejector and did a barrel modification. Also said they did a range test and it meets specs. Hope to get to the range one evening this week to check it out.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Well I finally got to the range yesterday - the gun still does the same thing. S & W said they changed the extractor, did a barrel modification and range tested it and it is within specs. I guess I'll give them a call on monday and see why they think it is "within specs" when it to eject shells back into your face. I don't think they did anything to it.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Well I finally got to the range yesterday - the gun still does the same thing. S & W said they changed the extractor, did a barrel modification and range tested it and it is within specs. I guess I'll give them a call on monday and see why they think it is "within specs" when it to eject shells back into your face. I don't think they did anything to it.

My girlfriend had this issue and we wound up selling the gun and buying another one. :sad20:

Ar1b3nz

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Apr 18, 2011
    NOVA
    Will it be possible for you to rent the same gun at a local range and see the difference?

buttersnipes

Dec 20, 2011
    Annapolis
    Before getting too excited--try swapping in a lower weight recoil spring. With the factory 16lb spring mine flings them back at my face about 75% of the time. With a 15lb spring, 0%. I also use normal target ammo @1090fps 124gr. I noticed when I used Gold Dot +Ps, it didn't matter which spring I used, they flew out at 3oclock with authority!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom