• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    So I watched a youtube video and someone mentioned LE were switching from glocks to M&P. I went down to A1 today and asked him what firearms LE are starting to use, and he said that they were trading glocks for M&Ps

Why?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Only thing I can guess is the Gen 4 fowl up. We are staying with Glock. Going with gen 3's though. Or so I am told. But in reality, S&W is probably under cutting Glocks price. Just guessing though.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    In PG County many of the smaller agencies (and there are lots of them) that work with the County Police tend to follow suit when the County switches firearms.

It makes sense as the different agencies may well end up in a firefight together, and having firearm, magazine and ammo interoperability is logical.

Just my thoughts and I can only comment on the trends we observe here.

For me, the M&P is a more natural point and a better feeling shooter than the Glock.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    They are both solid guns, but the M&P ergonomics agree with me over the glocks. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a reason.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Don't put a ton of faith into what police agencies are going to.

MSP just switched to Glocks. Baltimore County is going with FNH.

Most of the large companies aren't going to put out junk for a LE contract and many of the top guns are very comparable. It can come down to personal preference of the range instructors, cost, some wine and dining, and politics.

Odiferous Maximus

Feb 16, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I got rid of a G23 Gen4 that I liked and got an M&P 40c that I also liked...then I spent 9months looking for magazines...none...anywhere...so I went back to Glock and a crapload of magazines.

For me there was not much difference between the two - point, shoot, hit the target.

Others may disagree (smiley).

Mike

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Glock has just been proven to be reliable. it all comes down to economics, if there are buy backs or who's got lowest bid.

I'm thinking lowest bid. I think the M&P is an OK pistol while the GLOCK is a great one. Even the Gen4 pistols... I have a 34 that has run perfect with everything I've run through it. I know it's a sample size of one but the M&P has shortcomings as well... The triggers tend to be atrocious while on GLOCKs they are consistent and don't have a ton of overtravel regardless of pull weight, as well as having virtually no creep.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thought I saw that MSP just switched to the PX4 Storm

OLD news, MSP dumped the Storm and went to Glock.

*Honestly, I think S&W just undercut Glock some, and some of the agencies likely preferred the ergonomics of the M&P over the comparable Glock.

Both are good/great guns. Admittedly, a box-stock M&P's trigger isn't the best - but most agencies aren't basing their purchase off of 1 aspect alone.

Glock has made a great gun for a lot of years and has almost solely dominated the LEO market, but times are changing, and the M&P is a great alternative. Especially if S&W upgrades the sear blocks for the LEO market.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    In this case...typically not.

You likely wont see HK's commonly issued due to the high cost but other then that the cost is very comparable between the leading LE guns.

It is no secret that HK has about the worst customer service in the industry. It doesn't matter if you are LE, military, or civilian. It is a shame.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It is no secret that HK has about the worst customer service in the industry. It doesn't matter if you are LE, military, or civilian. It is a shame.
    That bad?
    I don't think I've ever come across a LEO in person who had a HK sidearm.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I can't knock Glock for having a dead nuts reliable gun. However, can't stand the grip angle. The M&P and the XD/XDm for that matters, feels so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom