• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The M&P does more effectively adapt to different hand sizes. For an Agency this is an important thing. For any one individual , not so much. If a pistol fits your hand , the ability to change it is moot.

But overall , we have entered a new era in LE handgun, after about 100yrs , there is not longer a one or two guns , in one or two cals dominating the LE market. There are 4 or so top ranked (by sales) pistol families , and at least another half dozen fully viable choices. , chambered in any of 4 popular cals , with a cpl more viable , if less popular choices. No single combo is dominate , and all are in at least some usage.

Not like when 90% of LE handguns were Colt or S&W .38Spl , or even when 75% of LE handguns were Berretta or Glock 9mms.

I doubt there would be a Gen4 GLOCK if there were never an M&P.

You're right, over the last decade more and more pistols have adaptable grips. The first one to have interchangeable backstraps I can think of was the Walther P99, followed by the SigPro pistols. Then more and more were developed over time.

Beretta tried to catch some of lost share with the Vertec but the SA/DA and DAO triggers are not nearly as good as those from GLOCK and others. I wish they had come up with an HK LEM-like trigger.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I always thought the .40 had better ballistics.

I believe the current thought is that a .40 is still just a pistol round, and no pistol round is all that great...so it might as well be something that is almost as good ballistically, but much easier to shoot and cheaper to stock...which brings us back to the 9mm...

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

Win. I hate .40. I have owned two and sold both. Too snappy, and for the reasons in the article shoot 9mm and .45. I have no problem controlling .45...

I currently have three 9mm pistols and have owned 4 others in the past. My G19 and G34 are excellent pistols. They'll get the job done every time! No failures!

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    M&P fits people better IMHO. The Glock is easy to get parts for.

This. I have shot pretty most of the glocks and for whatever reason I am not as good or occassionally get bit. Do not get me wrong I think the glock is fine gun but is not the gun for me. All my pistols I can pick up and shoot and do not need to do anything to be good with them for some reason the glock required me to tinker with my grip which I did not want to do and then have re-tinker when I shoot one of my other pistols.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    It is this exactly.

Smith and wesson established it's self as a synonym for "gun" a few decades ago by providing extremely cheap guns to police. People always want what the police have, and so it was fantastic advertising and branding.

They are doing the same thing with the M&P series of guns, selling them to police at nearly wholesale.

I personally hate the M&P series, and anything smith has made for the past five or so years.

I've had a horrible run of guns I've got from Smith the past few years, and I am not alone. Their quality control has gone to shit.

Even so, when the M&P came out I was eager to get one, since it had a lot of things I like in a handgun, and seemed to be very comfortable. Even after seeing how ridiculously terrible the barrel lockup was, (when the gun is in battery you can literally wiggle the barrel around a good two millimeters) I still bought it.

The slide cracked in the first 50 rounds, and then after sending me my gun back after repairs from the factory that took nearly a month, the damn slide cracked AGAIN! I sent it back, and they got it back to me after another 3 weeks, and it worked fine for a couple boxes of ammo- well not fine, accuracy was crap- and then I hear a strange sound after a round goes off.

I check the gun and don't find anything wrong immediately, but then when I get home and take it apart for cleaning I see that a chunk of the slide, about the size of half my pinkie fingernail had detached from the bushing area where the barrel protrudes from the slide, on the inside bottom part. It was like someone had taken a chip out of a brittle piece of pottery, the edge being sharp and having left a scratch on the bottom part of the barrel.

I irately called smith and they gave me a ration of shit, saying that I must be using the gun wrong. I told them I could understand how they could think that since the thing was so crappy it fell apart three times, but I assured them it was not.

I eventually got it repaired, and sold it to an acquaintance for a large loss.

That same friend got a 15-22 and to this day we can not get it to feed a full magazine without jamming at least once.

But yeah, when you can get 2 and a half M&Ps for the price of a Glock, it makes a difference in the procurement decision.

I own 2 mp15-22 I have 5 - 10 rounds mags. 8 - 25 rounds mags. I have shot 1,000's of rounds of .22lr though. We generally shot around a 100 rounds thought each every week. With the bulk of the ammo being Junk bulk ammo. We have only had handful of jams. Most of the Jams were around when we got new mags. And we aren't talking about careful, slow, make every shot count firing either. Many times I will just empty a mag in rapid session to see what kind of grouping I can get. Even with junk ammo I get really tight groups using both guns.

Now with that said I picked up a brand new MP handgun I think it was a MP9 but not 100% sure and the mag wouldn't insert reliably so I put it back down. My boss owns a MP9c and he had to send it off to SW because a pin keeps popping out.

So I agree SW QA sucks but at least in the case of the MP15-22 they make 1 hell of an AR clone.

Thanks
    Robert

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Friend in BP said H&k P2000. OCPD is a Sig shop and kicked me out of the armory once for saying the word glock. Our NR cops out here have M&P and from the few I talked to seemed to like them. I've never been a fan of the G...

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I went shopping for a 9mm before the 'first BO coronation' and was looking to buy a Glock 34.
    There were none in the shop, so the shop owner showed me an M&P9.
    I liked it so much I bought it on the spot and have not regretted that purchase at all.

FWIW - my neighbor is a "Glock guy" so I've gotten to shoot all of his at one time or another.
    I'll stick with my M&P9 and my P226 Mk25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom