• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I just won an auction for a NPM M1 Carbine stripped receiver.

If anyone is sitting on NPM parts that are in good shape or if anyone knows where I can get good parts at a reasonable price please let me know!

Anyone have any stories or advice to share about building up an M1 Carbine from a receiver?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

If anyone is sitting on NPM parts that are in good shape or if anyone knows where I can get good parts at a reasonable price please let me know!

Anyone have any stories or advice to share about building up an M1 Carbine from a receiver?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I have done it, bought a Winchester Springtube Receiver for about $125. Mated it with a SA stock and HESCO (I know) chrome barrel and some small parts. It cost me about $700 which is more than I could have bought a decent mixmaster for. That said, my receiver was a spring tube (early Win) and NPM wont be, so it should be a little less. Generally building an M1 carbine is not a good value proposition unless you are sitting on parts. That said there is a guy who goes to Chantilly (far left corner) who has original parts for about anything.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Oh not those guys, they are out of their gourd on price!

Never bought anything from them have only used them for reference for IDing parts.They are pretty steep now that i look at the prices .If thats the case im sitting on a gold mine worth of mags :lol2:

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Yea... I know building from the ground up is not the cheapest way to go.
    My son is graduation from college in two years. I wanted to build him up something very specific and special. I have a NPM carbine and it is his favorite gun of mine to shoot. I hope to be able to shop around and find some bargins. I have a buddy that has most of the parts. He is a retired FFL who specialized in Garands and Carbines.

There are a few parts he does not have so I thought I would put out feelers.

New complete NPM carbine range from $900-1500 on gun broker so I thought I had a bit of "wiggle" room.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Chris

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    Oh not those guys, they are out of their gourd on price!
    "Try River Bank Armory http://m1carbineparts.com/ "

Ah the KING of humped parts.
    Read some threads on the CMP forum about the company. The guy also sells parts on Ebay and Gun Broker under several different names.

One thing about ole George is that he seems to have an endless supply of rare parts. Hint:innocent0

Try posting on the CMP forum with your needs.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Thanks!
    River Bank seems pricey but a phone call may get a few deals if we package parts and pieces.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just trawl the gunshows, if you have a decent barrel its sometimes easier to buy a parts gun with a burnt bore. Buying matched parts gets expensive. As noted above I have about $700 in Winchester not including the barrel and stock I already had.

As a good friend told me, its always more expensive to build an M1 especially with prices nudging down a little and most makes with late features bringing $600 to $700 ish. All matching $800ish. Rarer (Early Win, IBM, Rockola) $900ish.

They will gain over time.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    And a lot of the parts they sell are reported to be reproductions not USGI.
    Buyer be warned!

Ya I got into that with a "W bolt" its clearly reproduction didnt fit right and I had to do a ton of filing to get it to work. It headspaces fine and shoots but not out of the box!

ItsGarand

-> TEUFELSBERG <-
    May 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Try:
    Sarco
    Bill Ricca
    Orion 7
    TheCollectorsSource
    Post up on CMP forum.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I was actually in Sarco in PA yesterday.
    He has a lot of parts and most looked like repro's.
    He had a barrel for $150 it was definitely an aftermarket barrel but he could not tell me who made the barrel.

Chris

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I was actually in Sarco in PA yesterday.
    He has a lot of parts and most looked like repro's.
    He had a barrel for $150 it was definitely an aftermarket barrel but he could not tell me who made the barrel.

Chris

SARCO is selling almost all repros, some which work pretty well. Not sure who is doing there barrels. Remember you are going to have to get any aftermarket barrel chamber rheemed. The only exception to this I know is the HESCO barrels which were surplused after not meeting spec, they are short and most will headspace fine without rheeming.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Try Paul White out of Gaithersburg. For as long as I can remember he's been the go-to guy for M1 carbine parts. I still see him at local shows now and then.
    Watched him assemble a nice IBM carbine for a co-worker of mine at a show once. Pulled everything from his show inventory and for the last 10 yrs I've been trying to talk my friend into selling it to me! Paul used to put ads up in Shotgun News but I think you'll have to Google him to get his phone number or email addy.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    +1 on all those that said the CMP forums. Most likely to get a good price on something. Also try www.surplusrifle.com forums and gunboards. I'm sure if you post your needs someone will come to the rescue. CMP is an especially helpful group of collectors that tend to want to help others.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Try Paul White out of Gaithersburg. For as long as I can remember he's been the go-to guy for M1 carbine parts. I still see him at local shows now and then.
    Watched him assemble a nice IBM carbine for a co-worker of mine at a show once. Pulled everything from his show inventory and for the last 10 yrs I've been trying to talk my friend into selling it to me! Paul used to put ads up in Shotgun News but I think you'll have to Google him to get his phone number or email addy.

Is he the guy who has the corner every Chantilly show near the front, good guy. Meticulous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom