• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenSpelledABC

Jun 11, 2020
    my m1 garand is 8 zeroed but is 8 clicks off mechanical center. I don't need to fix it but i was considering changing to a national match front site anyway and found out my front site screw is stripped.

how hard is it to remove switch them out and reset the mechanical zero. i feel like i'm making it harder than it needs to be.

whats the process of switching out front site posts and ensuring a mechanical zero or close to it so i'm not 3/4 of the way left for windage with a zero at 100yards.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I just sold a NM front sight a few weeks ago. You need a hex wrench to change the front sight. To set the mechanical zero...I'm speaking from memory...center the rear sight and drop the sight down to the bottom of its travel. You raise the rear sights eight clicks (I think), then loosen the elevation drum and rotate it so the pointer aligns with the 250 yard mark. That sets your battle sight. From there you should be able to zero the sights at the range as you should be on paper. Point of impact should be the same at 25 and 250 yard with it shooting a bit high at 100 yards.

A web search for zeroing a M1 should provide complete instructions and correct anything I might be wrong on.

BenSpelledABC

Jun 11, 2020
    I just sold a NM front sight a few weeks ago. You need a hex wrench to change the front sight. To set the mechanical zero...I'm speaking from memory...center the rear sight and drop the sight down to the bottom of its travel. You raise the rear sights eight clicks (I think), then loosen the elevation drum and rotate it so the pointer aligns with the 250 yard mark. That sets your battle sight. From there you should be able to zero the sights at the range as you should be on paper. Point of impact should be the same at 25 and 250 yard with it shooting a bit high at 100 yards.

A web search for zeroing a M1 should provide complete instructions and correct anything I might be wrong on.

Sounds good thanks. Will give it a shot. *pun intended.

Wait, I read this again and theres no mention of how to align the front site post. is there only 1 position? or can it be pushed left/right while its being installed? the one i have in there LOOKS "off center" in front. maybe its really jacked up.. i dont know.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    As stated above you move the front sight to have the rear sight at 'zero' windage. When shooting across-the-course with the M1 and M-14 we would cut down the front sight so the rifle was zeroed at 200 yards by coming up two clicks. This gave you the maximum sight adjustment for long range.

Good Luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom