• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    I was talking to a guy the other day that said he was in Vietnam and stated that he was issued an M14. I don't exactly know when the M16 was adopted but I thought they were in use for the whole war.

Would they have been using the M14 during the Vietnam War?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    During the early portions yes. And some especially USMC preferred the M14 as its .308 projectile better penetrated the thick jungle.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here ya go:
    http://www.sparrowhawkm14.com/the-m14-in-vietnam-gallery-i.html

3508002_orig.jpg

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    That is correct, the M14 was used at the start of the war. The M16 was brought in to replace the M14 early on, so the majority of the war was fought with it.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That's ALL the jars had aboard ship (and a 45 auto) they stood watch at the nuke weapons magazine and other strategic places. Sailors were issued M-1's in port for sponson watches.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Did not know that. Good information. I'm just starting to get into older firearms and it's good to have a place to ask these types of questions.

This is a very interesting bit of history. Same time frame NATO was moving to a standardization, the US wanted a smaller, lighter round and eventually we got the 5.56 as standard. Some argue the UK had a better round; and the Russians made their own knockoff of the 5.56, and came out with a new gun for it, the AK74, chambered in 5.45x39.

Check these out, there might be a test later. :)

http://riflesintheuk.com/cartridges.htm
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-74

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    A former coworker was issued a m14 in Vietnam. He was a mechanic supporting a helicopter squadron. I was talking to him a while ago and I believe he said that he didn't get a m16 because he wasn't a front line troop. He may have gotten a m16 later. He was familiar with the m16 and didn't like it. I'll have to check with him and get back.
    I think he was there in 67-68.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    we had a sniper in iraq who was attatched to our FIST team, he had an M14 and an M24. Used to have to bum 7.62 from me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This is a very interesting bit of history. Same time frame NATO was moving to a standardization, the US wanted a smaller, lighter round and eventually we got the 5.56 as standard. Some argue the UK had a better round; and the Russians made their own knockoff of the 5.56, and came out with a new gun for it, the AK74, chambered in 5.45x39.

Check these out, there might be a test later. :)

http://riflesintheuk.com/cartridges.htm
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-74

Uuuh, when NATO moved to standardized ammo, the US fought for the 7.62x51 (.308) over the UK .280.

Later, when everyone realized that .308 was too heavy and too powerful for all troops having select fire, the 5.56 became the standard.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The rifle entered United States Army service and was deployed for jungle warfare operations in South Vietnam in 1963, becoming the U.S. military's standard service rifle of the Vietnam War by 1969, replacing the M14 rifle in that role.

Not just the beginning.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Read Chris Kyle's book, American Guns, ten weapons that changed U S History. He discusses the transition from M14 to M16 in Viet Nam. My favorite bumper sticker, "The Only Woodstock I remember Was On My M14".

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    My buddy went to Vietnam with M14's and they were switched out with M16's about 1/2 way thru their tour, according to him the M16 had a lot of issues and was hated by most his fellow soldiers,lots of jamming issues.
    Collects guns like most of us but will not own an AR15 although he does own an AR10 and a M1A.

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Very interesting. My dad was in Korea and loved his M14.

I turned my M1A loose on a few pumpkins. Good times were had.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom