• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    these are prefectly safe with 7.62 nato spec ammo.

commercial .308 is hotter than these were designed to handle.

that said, the chances of one blowing up with .308 is pretty much non existant, what may happen if you shoot ammo in it thats too hot is that you will slowly deform the metal, creating a little lug set back, eventually being enough to make the headspace over sized.

i know there are some people who will say to just avoid them, but many thousands of these have been sold for many years, and even though most likely more than a few people regularly use the wrong ammo in them, ive yet to even hear of one blowing up or being severely worn or damaged.

i wouldnt hesitate to own and shoot one myself, and in fact have been meaning to get one from samco eventually, theres just a lot of stuff ahead in line on my list.

dre271

Dre
    Oct 9, 2011
    Howard County
    I ordered an M1916 from SAMCO a couple weeks ago and I am on a waiting list. Turns out, they do not have any ready to be sent out. They are in the process of assembling the rifles and they will not have another batch for a 2-3 months. As soon as mine arrives, I will post pictures.

dre

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Personally I consider these dangerous with any modern 308.

Care to elaborate on this? I was always under the impression that they are pretty tough bolt-actions, but I'm not particularly well versed on Mausers.

Spanish made '93 action Mausers, of which the 1916 is made from, is NOT a strong action and the metallurgy isn't up to standards. The '98 action is alot stronger.

these are prefectly safe with 7.62 nato spec ammo.

commercial .308 is hotter than these were designed to handle.

that said, the chances of one blowing up with .308 is pretty much non existant, what may happen if you shoot ammo in it thats too hot is that you will slowly deform the metal, creating a little lug set back, eventually being enough to make the headspace over sized.

i know there are some people who will say to just avoid them, but many thousands of these have been sold for many years, and even though most likely more than a few people regularly use the wrong ammo in them, ive yet to even hear of one blowing up or being severely worn or damaged.

i wouldnt hesitate to own and shoot one myself, and in fact have been meaning to get one from samco eventually, theres just a lot of stuff ahead in line on my list.

I know we've been through this before, but if, and I repeat if, one is to shoot one of these '93 action Spanish Mausers, just be SURE to have good solid gun with good headspace and use LOW pressure cartridges such as the .308 CETME cartridge or less. NATO spec is higher pressure than .308 Cetme pressure.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There has been much debate and destructive testing done. While I reload for mine and keep the charges on the lighter side, it would take a LOT of pressure to tear these apart.

Attachments

• Samco Test Results P1.JPG
      Samco Test Results P1.JPG
      162 KB · Views: 169

waterdog

Thank you!!
    saw this as well - cancelled an order a while back and have regetted it ever since.
    Ordered one first week of december and im still waiting.
    Wish i would have seen this before i cancelled the first time.
    Now, enough of the scare exploding rifle talk

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thank you!!
    saw this as well - cancelled an order a while back and have regetted it ever since.
    Ordered one first week of december and im still waiting.
    Wish i would have seen this before i cancelled the first time.
    Now, enough of the scare exploding rifle talk

Advisement:

Just like j8064 indicated, reload on the LIGHTER side of the pressure range as he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom