• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have a customer who wants a M1A. I have SOCOM model and Standard model available. He isn't sure if he should wait for a National match or buy a standard. I know what the mechanical differences are in the two, but I have never seen them shot side by side for comparison. How much real difference is there in accuracy? He won't be shooting in any matches, but if it's a noticable difference... So for a good shooter for the average person who enjoys a fine rifle, which would you suggest?

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    approx 400 bucks. The real kicker is availability. Nm rifles are pretty hard to get now days. Ofcourse any M1A is not real easy to get.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Now what about the difference between those two and the Loaded model? It seems like they start blending together.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    National match have a thicker barrel. For joe plinker/hunter a standard is fine. If someone is looking to get into competition then the match is the wat to go.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I am not an expert on M1As, but do have a bit of experience with them and I also like them a lot.
    The National match is an awesome rifle, better sights, trigger, bedding and barrel.
    I built this EBR from a national match rifle and built a second one from a loaded Rifle.I built a third one using a standard M1a
    with optics in place and a solid chasis system, the Standard rifle also shoots sub 1" groups.

The SOCOM is a bit louder but more maneuverable. It also has a shorter sight radius. It just depends on what the intended purpose is and the budget. For overall versatility, The loaded version is also an excellent variant.

Match Rifles in SAGE/Chopmod Stocks
    EBR ( Enhanced Battle Rifle)Navy/ Army
    EMR( Enhanced Marksman Rifle)Marines
    Std M1A in a chopmod stock, gen 3 mount 6.5-20x scope. sub 1" groups at 100 yards.

Attachments

• chopmod1.jpg
      chopmod1.jpg
      29.8 KB · Views: 234
    • precisionEMR.jpg
      precisionEMR.jpg
      8.2 KB · Views: 235
    • DSCN3606.jpg
      DSCN3606.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 234
    Last edited:

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I am not an expert on M1As, but do have a bit of experience with them and I also like them a lot.
    The National match is an awesome rifle, better sights, trigger, bedding and barrel.
    I built this EBR from a national match rifle and built a second one from a loaded Rifle.I built a third one using a standard M1a
    with optics in place and a solid chasis system, the Standard rifle also shoots sub 1" groups.

The SOCOM is a bit louder but more maneuverable. It also has a shorter sight radius. It just depends on what the intended purpose is and the budget. For overall versatility, The loaded version is also an excellent variant.

Match Rifles in SAGE/Chopmod Stocks
    EBR ( Enhanced Battle Rifle)Navy/ Army
    EMR( Enhanced Marksman Rifled)Marines
    Std M1A in a chopmod stock, gen 3 mount 6.5-20x scope. sub 1" groups at 100 yards.

Scar, you took a beautiful rifle and turned it into something from an 80's scifi movie :D.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It is hard to tell the difference between a loaded and NM, being the only real apparent differences are the hooded rear sight on the NM, and the stock, both it's shape, and glass bedding, there are also subtle differences in the gas system, but not much difference in accuracy betweeen versions of the two I have shot, same barrel, same trigger, same sights minus the aperture on the loaded. There is a $400 difference in price, worth it if you are competing, and the subtle improvements make a difference for you, in most cases they don't

Now, while there may not be much of a difference in looks between the standard and Loaded models, there are a few, most apparent when shooting them. The trigger upgrade on the loaded models is significant, it has a narrower NM front sight and rear non-hooded NM peep along with a better barrel, and you may see a little difference in accuracy. It is the better model for targets, and most practical shooting, where the larger aperture and lower cost on the standard model may be a little better for hunting, and as a "working gun" where peak accuracy, and the small apertures and thin sight blades that help it are hinderances. There is a $180 difference in price between the standard and loaded, for the premium in price you do get a lot for your money.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    Great information. I am also shopping for an M1A to build for counter zombie sniper role. Very helpful discussion.....

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    The NM are nice shooters the ones I have love Sierra 168 HPBT
    and Lapua 185 Scenars behind IMR4895 will shoot good groups all day
    So I would wait for the NM. He will not regret it.

Everyday shooting standard save the $400 if that's what he wants to do.
    They shoot well also, I feed the one 150 FMJ mostly IMR4895
    NM are nice if you intend to shoot targets, more than plinking
    or $400 doesn't matter or what ever the price

Super Match are sweet if you have deep pockets.
    Socoms compact and nice also

It what he really wants and plans to do with it

Bought mine years ago. when they were cheap
    Sorry just an ole man here
    Standards, NM, Super Match
    I will say this the Standard issue one that I have shoots well also.
    All the ones I have I bought 20 plus years ago.
    Just like HK91 and 93's $399.00 dealer direct.
    The good ole days.. oh well
    Showing my age here.

-Rock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads